Giant Hogweed in Somerset

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Giant Hogweed in Somerset

Post by Mick F »

The green path is the path round the back of our bungalow.
Bracken.jpeg

I've cut the bracken back as far as I can, done three times this summer.
Beyond that is the farmer's field and it's infested with bracken. He won't do anything with it as it would cost him money, and after all he's a Cornish farmer and not noted for spending money. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Giant Hogweed in Somerset

Post by Paulatic »

They told me at Agricultural college to cut 3x in the first year. 2x second year and one cut in the third year and you'd be rid of it. Never tried it as bracken usually grows where no cutter dare go.
My observations are the tracks we drove sheep and cattle down never become heavily covered with bracken. The constant bruising and crushing by hooves seem to check it.
Though in your case Mick you'll be fighting a loosing battle with the farmer next door. Farmers are the same no matter which county they are in. [emoji6]. Anyone can make money but hanging on to it is the skill farmers have. .
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

MikeF wrote:
All fungi are edible ............ but some only once.
:wink:

I think you'd probably spit out something like Russula emetica or Lactarius torminosus, pretty damn quick, before swallowing it (unless you're that one and only bloke who finished the widower curry...) On the Scoville scale they're probably up there with Dorset nagas and Carolina reapers. But don't experiment! I did once :oops: . They have other effects - as the Latin names suggest..... :shock:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

As a keen walker I gave up reporting GH long ago (except where it's a particular risk such as in the OP). It's just too prevalent in much of the countryside.