Are we really facing an obesity 'epidemic'?

661-Pete

Re: Are we really facing an obesity 'epidemic'?

Post by 661-Pete »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Also, stop being so polite and saying things like 'big' or 'large'. Fat or obese is more appropriate and will get some social action.

I've often wondered about that - but I don't have the chutzpah - not yet!

On crowded trains, I turn into the 'grumpy old git' par excellence - no question! I'm afraid I've reached the age when I feel the 'entitlement' to a seat, no matter what. After all, when I was a kid, giving up one's seat to an elder and better was very much the norm. Anyway, the other day, I boarded a train, there were no vacant seats, and one passenger was occupying two seats, by reason of her girth. I must have muttered under my breath, as I walked past her bay "fat git - ought to pay for two tickets..." But not loud enough to be heard! Maybe next time.... :?: :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

There was a big fuss over those pics where they get FB pics of erm, how do I say it, fat women... then send them a pic back thats a thin version of them. People complained that they were not taking pics of thin people and sending them what they would look like if they were fat.

Then there was the usual white knight effeminate "men" crying about how fat women might get upset. :roll: These guys are barely even men themselves. Would they strangle a chicken? Would they step into a war zone? Who are these people honestly. They are telling you how to think.

It might be "mean" but there is also the fact that if a guy is eating and sees a fat woman, why should he have to put up with it?

Bottom line: No animal in nature has one ounce of extra fat on it, go figure. What about hippos I hear you ask - they need all that blubber to move about in water, they aren't really land animals. What about a walrus? It lives in freezing temperatures and it needs every last ounce of fat it has on it.

No land mammal that lives in normal temperatures has really any fat on it. Your body fat percentage is meant to be around 12% or 15% not ruddy 40%.

Treating people that are talking sense as though they are evil eugenicists doesn't magically change facts of life and rules of nature. You can't argue with the fact that you shouldn't be overweight. Just "accepting it" doesn't change anything, except that you're then letting other people tell you what to think... to hell with that.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Manc33 wrote:Bottom line: No animal in nature has one ounce of extra fat on it, go figure.
You may be right - but whenever I see a pair of well-rounded woodpigeons waddling up to our bird-feeder, and scoffing all the juicy 'buggy-bits' and other goodies that Mrs P puts out - intending them to be mostly to feed the likes of our bluetits, sparrows and robins ..... well, I have my doubts.

As to your so-called 'white knight effeminates' - well I just don't know where you get your generalisations from. I don't suppose anyone else does..... :|
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Manc33 wrote:There was a big fuss over those pics where they get FB pics of erm, how do I say it, fat women... then send them a pic back thats a thin version of them. People complained that they were not taking pics of thin people and sending them what they would look like if they were fat.

Then there was the usual white knight effeminate "men" crying about how fat women might get upset. :roll: These guys are barely even men themselves. Would they strangle a chicken? Would they step into a war zone? Who are these people honestly. They are telling you how to think.

It might be "mean" but there is also the fact that if a guy is eating and sees a fat woman, why should he have to put up with it?

Bottom line: No animal in nature has one ounce of extra fat on it, go figure. What about hippos I hear you ask - they need all that blubber to move about in water, they aren't really land animals. What about a walrus? It lives in freezing temperatures and it needs every last ounce of fat it has on it.

No land mammal that lives in normal temperatures has really any fat on it. Your body fat percentage is meant to be around 12% or 15% not ruddy 40%.

Treating people that are talking sense as though they are evil eugenicists doesn't magically change facts of life and rules of nature. You can't argue with the fact that you shouldn't be overweight. Just "accepting it" doesn't change anything, except that you're then letting other people tell you what to think... to hell with that.

Wow. Do you really think it helps *anyone* to imply that you are disgusted by fat people? Whatever you may think, there are some people who cannot help how much they weigh.

I have a friend in the USA who is overweight. You would probably call her obese. She landed in hospital because she was literally starving herself. She was on some medication that slowed her metabolism. She didn't realise that this would make it impossible for her to lose weight, and kept trying. Why did she almost starve herself? Because she was ashamed of herself, and that only happens because people say things like you have done here. All this does is make people feel bad; it doesn't motivate them. It doesn't help them in any way. It doesn't help you.

You don't know why someone is overweight. You also don't know what, if anything they are doing about it. Some people, despite being overweight, are working very hard to become less so. Some people on this forum probably fall into that category.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Manc33 wrote:It might be "mean" but there is also the fact that if a guy is eating and sees a fat woman, why should he have to put up with it?

My fiancee is a size 22 and I happen to think she's gorgeous the way she is. Who are you to say what is or isn't pleasing to the eye?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
AJ101

Post by AJ101 »

Thats great but I'd worry about the effects on her health if I was married to a larger woman. I wouldn't want her to be at increased risk of T2D or have a shorter life expectancy. But yeah equally I wouldn't want her to be unhappy with people nagging her to lose weight, as that would have just a detrimental effect.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

AJ101 wrote:Thats great but I'd worry about the effects on her health if I was married to a larger woman. I wouldn't want her to be at increased risk of T2D or have a shorter life expectancy. But yeah equally I wouldn't want her to be unhappy with people nagging her to lose weight, as that would have just a detrimental effect.

Agreed on all points.
Have tried to get her out cycling. Summer was too warm for her as she would sweat.
Winter is too cold and she'll not be fit enough to work hard enough to keep warm.
She's all the time in the world to mess about sitting in coffee shops but not enough for a ride.

The excuses are many and some are even quite original.
I've long since given up.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
AJ101

Post by AJ101 »

Vantage wrote:Have tried to get her out cycling. Summer was too warm for her as she would sweat.
Winter is too cold and she'll not be fit enough to work hard enough to keep warm.
She's all the time in the world to mess about sitting in coffee shops but not enough for a ride.

The excuses are many and some are even quite original.
I've long since given up.

Yeah they don't like it mate, not like we do!
I have tried this in the past with various girlfriends. It rarely works. Better I think to find whatever it is they enjoy outdoors and do that with them, even if it's just a 2 mile walk through a park to feed the ducks. Anything that makes active movement a regular and fun is a winner, even if you have to bite your tongue a bit and reign your own desire to go marching off a few mph quicker!
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

661-Pete wrote:On crowded trains, I turn into the 'grumpy old git' par excellence - no question! I'm afraid I've reached the age when I feel the 'entitlement' to a seat, no matter what. After all, when I was a kid, giving up one's seat to an elder and better was very much the norm.

A couple of months ago I gave up my seat on the Tube for a pregnant woman. She promptly put her other kid on the seat and continued to stand. Being brought up a gentleman I said nothing.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

TonyR wrote:
661-Pete wrote:On crowded trains, I turn into the 'grumpy old git' par excellence - no question! I'm afraid I've reached the age when I feel the 'entitlement' to a seat, no matter what. After all, when I was a kid, giving up one's seat to an elder and better was very much the norm.

A couple of months ago I gave up my seat on the Tube for a pregnant woman. She promptly put her other kid on the seat and continued to stand. Being brought up a gentleman I said nothing.

Legendary! I love it [emoji23]
PH

Post by PH »

Manc33 wrote: white knight effeminate

I want that on a T shirt
Size XXL of course