haemorrhoids (piles)

john4703

haemorrhoids (piles)

Postby john4703 » 10 Jul 2015, 10:35pm

I am sure that subject got people laughing but I have a serious question. I considered setting up a new account to save my embarrassment but did not.
I am 68 and two and a half years ago my wife had surgery for breast cancer, this dominated our lives but she is doing really well so this week I got back on my bike and did two very short trips, I'd not been near it while my wife was ill. I then had a very sore posterior and it seems I have haemorrhoids which are really painful.
My questions are
1. Can cycling in any way cause this problem?
2. If so how can I avoid this in the future?
Any advice is welcome, I need to get fit again, I love cycling, I have ridden a two wheeler since I was four years old.
Don't let them win but keep up the struggle and wear them all down by our persistence.

GrumpyCyclist

Re: haemorrhoids (piles)

Postby GrumpyCyclist » 10 Jul 2015, 10:47pm

At a guess, I'd say cycling per se wouldn't cause the haemorrhoids but could exacerbate an already existing problem. I'd say it's more likely you had them already but didn't know and getting in the saddle has made it worse. I'd suggest - if you're sure they're piles - treat them the usual way but probably stay off the bike until they're gone. Cycling will probably just be painful while they're still there. I recently had a case clear up and they haven't recurred just from getting back on a bike for the first time in over 20 years.

I hope your wife is recovering well, and has a good prognosis.
Weight 8th July 2015 111.9Kg : Weight now 93.8Kg. Mostly due to cycling. Wish I'd started much sooner :( #LoveTheBike

maxcherry

Postby maxcherry » 10 Jul 2015, 10:53pm

Do you sit on your sit bones or put pressure on your anus when in the saddle? Sitting on a saddle that puts pressure on the soft part of your bum can cause problems, so if the saddle tilt is wrong or your sitting position is off. It can cause problems.

Good luck
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 10 Jul 2015, 11:46pm

I doubt cycling causes them but if you have any you certainly know about it.
I've suffered with them a few times and have always in the spring for some reason. The first time was a couple of weeks before I was riding a 200k in a SR year. I had some doubts but I went through with the ride. Plenty of cream ️.
Subsequently I've discovered olive oil seems to be as good as any propriety cream.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

greyingbeard

Postby greyingbeard » 11 Jul 2015, 9:13am

ouch !
lots of saddles have a hole for the sensitive parts, so maybe get an old saddle and cut a hole where you need it ?

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 11 Jul 2015, 9:24am

Years and years ago I drove a cab. Lots of hours sat down. I suffered dreadfully from piles. The only relief I got was to put a bike saddle under my bum on the car seat. Bliss. Rolled up newspaper helped as well. This supported the piles and eased the pain. Gravity works against you with piles. I would imagine the bike saddle is better than walking around with the damn things unsupported. You have my sympathy. Have you changed your diet. I'm very susceptible to them and have to stick to a very good diet to keep them at bay. Where would I be without my figs and dates? :)

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 11 Jul 2015, 9:31am

I don't know if cycling causes them, but I suspect a higher incidence of piles among cyclists. Enough that I've heard long term cyclists joke about it.

I had them when I was pregnant. They mostly didn't bother me until I got sweaty. I did find that nappy cream helped. I never tried any of the creams made for piles. Of course, my condition was temporary. If it wasn't, I'd see my GP. They can do quite a lot to treat them, so don't suffer.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 11 Jul 2015, 10:09am

As far as I'm aware it is bad diet/lifestyle that causes them and man's decision to walk upright which puts pressure on them. They are just distended veins. I don't think cycling itself causes them for one minute. It's straining that damages them. This can be done whilst cycling like many other activities. Weighlifters are notorious for suffering from them. Straining on deadlifts or heavy squats is a big problem or whilst using the toilet. Plus of course, pushing a baby out. I've had the op to remove them. Not recommended. Very painful. They come back anyway. Big change to diet, regular habits and don't strain. I'm an expert these days. Sadly. :(

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 11 Jul 2015, 11:16am

It's not only bad diet, but I think that most piles can be treated with diet. My dad sorted his by using a powdered fiber supplement. He couldn't make a lot of changes to his diet because of other medical conditions, but the fiber supplement seems to work for him.

My uncle, on the other hand, couldn't manage with diet, and had sclerotherapy for his.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

maff1977

Postby maff1977 » 11 Jul 2015, 11:32am

A cream like Anusol will help it will shrink the haemorroid. Cause could also be stress related. excess alcohol doesn't help.

Milfred Cubicle

Postby Milfred Cubicle » 15 Jul 2015, 11:30pm

First of all, my sympathies. If there is a God, he/she/it was having a bad day when piles were thought up!
Initially a chat with your g.p. may be useful, just check that it is piles. Please don't be embarassed, it is an incredibly common problem. Things you can do are get loads of fibre in your diet, and as much fluid as you can comfortably tolerate. You want your stools to be soft and easy to pass...straining can worsen the problem.
Creams and suppositories can give immense relief, and are readily available.
Finally your g.p. may want to send you for a camera check up, called a sigmoidoscopy. It's a very quick test, and depending on the severity of the piles, they can often be dealt with at the same time by applying small bands to them, causing them to recede.

As far as I'm aware, there's no direct link between cycling and piles, but I now feel obliged to research the matter further. Watch this space.

Fletten

Postby Fletten » 23 Jul 2015, 6:31pm

I agree with the advice to change your diet, I did, a few years ago I was suffering from acid reflux and haemorrhoids, my poor diet had caused me to develop Diabetes type 2, with all the discomfort that comes with those conditions, my weight was 17st all self-inflicted despite cycling. So after all the usual scope test’s nothing sinister was found except haemorrhoids, a very sore oesophagus (gullet) and Diabetes which of course has to be managed I am back cycling 3 stone lighter. A very happy 73 year old.