Cyclist and Ex-smoker

TangoWhisky

Cyclist and Ex-smoker

Post by TangoWhisky »

Hi People.

I hope you are all good today.

It's my first post here and I apologise if the subject has been raised before (couldn't find anything with a quick search).

Anyway. I am a long term cyclist who has just given up smoking cigarettes after 20 plus years - effortlessly - by switching to an alternative.

I am now what is known as a 'Vaper' and I use an electronic device to deliver a relatively safe (and massively safer than tobacco) nicotine containing vapour into my lungs as a replacement to tobacco smoke. I use a proper device - not some cheap e-cigarette thing - and vaping is an entirely different culture in its own right. Although many are ex-smokers, most have moved well beyond the smoking experience.

Why do you care? Well, because in just two weeks, I have experienced huge performance gains on the bike and cycling at my previous average speeds feels effortless. I am now gliding along on the big chainring and small cog without even needing to open my lungs on the flat. I am smashing my PB's on Stava all over the place and (being sprint oriented) I am even starting to wonder if my climbing might improve!

If anyone here is battling with the hugely dangerous and unhealthy habit that is smoking whilst seeking to be a better rider, as I was, it is an option well worth considering.

As a disclaimer, I would note that whilst I was pointed towards my local vaping shop by the health psychologist running a stop smoking clinic at my workplace, I am not qualified to give anyone medical advice.

Best wishes all!
661-Pete

Re: Cyclist and Ex-smoker

Post by 661-Pete »

Well - it's widely reported that Eddy Merckx was (maybe still is?) a smoker - and even Wiggo is rumoured to have been spotted with the occasional fag. So you're in good company! But don't any of the non-smokers on here start getting ideas!

First thing to say is, congrats on kicking the foul habit. Any method is fine if it works for you. So you don't have to go out of your way to defend the method you have adopted. Killing the killer weed is the important thing.

But a word of caution. These nicotine atomisers (or whatever the principle is they work on), whilst increasingly popular, are by no means a guaranteed 100% safe option. Nicotine is, after all, a dangerous alkaloid poison in its own right. What can be said is, they do appear to be a whole lot less dangerous than what they are replacing. So they are really only an option for people who are trying to give up smoking, and for which attempts by other means have failed. If anyone is a smoker, I urge them to attempt to give up by willpower, before they resort to E-cigs. Nothing at all is the best option. And E-cigs or vaporisers should never under any circumstances be offered to non-smokers.

Secondly, I would also urge E-cig users to be considerate towards other people nearby. Do not use them in areas where smoking is not permitted. To me at any rate, the vapour smells very similar to tobacco smoke and is quite unpleasant. And for all I know it may be harmful to secondary inhalers. I have come across people using them on a train - that's most definitely a no-no (I believe some train companies have banned them now).

As to your improved stravas - well, this may be a psychological effect. You're unlikely to be enjoying the physical benefits of stopping smoking so soon, but it will come. Anyway, good luck!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Welcome to the forum TangoWhiskey and well done on giving up ciggies.

I was lucky in that I never started smoking simply due to me and my mate finding a pack of 20 Woodbines when we were 7 years old...

we threw away 18!!!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

I gave up thirteen months ago.
I still get cravings & wish I could just have a cigarette at the end of the day or with a pint but I've an addictive nature & one turns to many in no time.
I noticed within a week of quitting my lung capacity improving.
I actually think that cycling helped my system cleanse quicker. The withdrawal was no where near as bad or protracted as when I'd tried to quit before.
2.30pm July the 9th 2014. Christ I struggle to remember most peoples birthdays but remember when I had my last cigarette vividly!!!
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

I am on the same boat. 18 months down the road :wink:
I started on 18mg, and now I am down to 1mg.
I feel so much better. my resting heart rate went from 80 to 60.
My 20 mile evening ride went from 1hr 50mins to1 hr 25 mins.
I don't have many regrets in life, but starting smoking is the bigest.
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Respect to all who are giving up.
I don't know anyone who has found it easy.
And I'm very glad you're feeling the benefits - and very impressed that the benefits seem to be happening so soon.
Keep up the good work!
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

You're not "giving up" something by quitting smoking, you're gaining something.

Yes just switching to vaping and "not quitting" fixes it, you don't have any aggro and yet, your lungs clear up.

Hills become less daunting when you look up the hill from the bottom (that heart sinking feeling knowing it will get your heart racing). Or getting to the top of a hill "wondering why" you're not out of breath because you "normally" are. There's nothing normal about coating your lungs with tar. "Can't quit" doesn't work now we have vaping!

No one that smokes can quit, or not many - vaping is the sane option.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
VTR1000F

Post by VTR1000F »

I stopped 5 years ago after attending a local PCT initiative. There were 13 of us at work who wanted to stop, which meant that the PCT sent in a team on a weekly basis to educate and hand out scripts for nicotine patches etc.

13 of us started the course, Around 8 of us completed the course and one year down the line I was the only non smoker left.

Anything that helps people cut down on the amount of damage done is a good thing, but one of the most important lesson from the group sessions for me was to break the habits associated with smoking. One of those things for me was to break the hand to mouth habit associated with taking a drag.

Five years on and I'm still chuffed with myself for stopping after 35 years of smoking, but I also realise I am just one puff away from starting again - that's all it took 20 years previously.

Keep up the good work and hopefully soon you'll be able to drop the nicotine altogether.
katser123

Post by katser123 »

Hey cyclist and ex smoker, I too have given up smoking after smoking for 25 yrs (I am very ashamed to say that). I decided against vaping and have just gone'cold turkey'. This is my 5 th week. Went cycling 4 times this week after not cycling regularly for long time. Yesterday, did 30 miles, mental hills, and was at the back of the pack the whole time (went with hubby and two girl friends). I, unlike you, felt totally demoralized and felt I was just a slow coach!!!!! I don't know if it's my technique, but I really, really, struggle on hills, gasping for breath!!!! The odd thing is, despite doing 100 miles this week, my legs don't ache but my neck and shoulders do!!! I think my technique is wrong somehow?
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Well done mate ! Keep it up. I smoked for many years and gave up 2 years ago , best thing I ever did .
katser123

Post by katser123 »

Thanks lock deck steve, yes, it's the best thing I ever did too. I'm just so impatient, I want to run before I can walk (regarding the cycling and fitness)!!!!!! I have, inevitability, gained a few unwanted pounds since quitting the ciggies so am determined to shift them and was hoping the cycling would help
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

katser123 wrote:Hey cyclist and ex smoker, I too have given up smoking after smoking for 25 yrs (I am very ashamed to say that). I decided against vaping and have just gone'cold turkey'. This is my 5 th week. Went cycling 4 times this week after not cycling regularly for long time. Yesterday, did 30 miles, mental hills, and was at the back of the pack the whole time (went with hubby and two girl friends). I, unlike you, felt totally demoralized and felt I was just a slow coach!!!!! I don't know if it's my technique, but I really, really, struggle on hills, gasping for breath!!!! The odd thing is, despite doing 100 miles this week, my legs don't ache but my neck and shoulders do!!! I think my technique is wrong somehow?

Take it easy...or easier. Don't do 30 miles if the distance is taxing you. Tackle fewer hills and more flat terrain if climbing is switching you off. I am helping an unfit, overweight neighbour return to cycling after a couple of years off the bike. The pace is painfully slow (6 mph) and there isn't much variety on our cyclepath training route. But she is improving and gaining in confidence. We simply add an extra mile each time we go out. That was the deal. The distance and the hills are maybe a year away but the big step for her was to get out and face the many other cyclists/runners/walkers she believes are fit and able. Give time time. You didn't become unfit and a heavy smoker overnight.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

katser123 wrote:Thanks lock deck steve, yes, it's the best thing I ever did too. I'm just so impatient, I want to run before I can walk (regarding the cycling and fitness)!!!!!! I have, inevitability, gained a few unwanted pounds since quitting the ciggies so am determined to shift them and was hoping the cycling would help

As mentioned , just take it easy to start , you'll get there , we are all are worst enemies when it comes to doing too much too soon !!!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

katser123 wrote:Thanks lock deck steve, yes, it's the best thing I ever did too. I'm just so impatient, I want to run before I can walk (regarding the cycling and fitness)!!!!!! I have, inevitability, gained a few unwanted pounds since quitting the ciggies so am determined to shift them and was hoping the cycling would help

Hills are the main place where lack of fitness shows. That said, you may benefit from lower gears, and from your other thread, need to sort out your position on the bike (which may also make breathing more comfortable).

30 miles, after not cycling regularly for a long time is an achievement in itself. You should be pleased with your accomplishment!! Don't worry about being at the back of the pack. First of all, you're still *way* ahead of the people who are at home sitting their backsides. Second of all, you just need to find some slower folks to ride with ;)

Keep at it. The best way to improve cycling fitness is... cycling. Have fun, while you're at it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
katser123

Post by katser123 »

Hi guys, thank you so much for your advice and kind messages. I decided to cycle today in my lunch break and tackled some hills, I only had a 60 mins window but went flat out and managed, I think, better than my last cycle ride. When I mentioned to a friend that I didn't feel anything in the legs (as in I didn't feel as though I'd done much cycling), he said because the bike is so efficient and lightweight, I shouldn't really feel the effort in the legs. Not sure if that's correct? I have raised the saddle a little so my legs are in less of a flexed position and have changed the angle of drop handlebars (they were slightly tilted upwards which made changing gear and breaking less easy). I have also tried to put less weight through my arms/shoulders and neck by not gripping on for dear life, HOWEVER, after just an hour in the saddle, I still got neck ache!!! I must be doing something wrong? :?