Sore tailbone - seating position?

User avatar
531colin
Posts: 12468
Joined: 4 Dec 2009, 6:56pm
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Sore tailbone - seating position?

Postby 531colin » 13 Aug 2015, 9:33pm

bobbyg wrote:I have had the same Specialised Hybrid bike for about 8 years or so. Last year I did 1700 miles on it ...............
This year since almost the beginning, I am suffering from a very painful tailbone............


If it had been painful the very first time you sat on the bike this year, it couldn't have been the bike that did it. "Almost" since the beginning is harder to judge.....

bobbyg wrote:.........I am wondering if this is maybe something to do with seating position or whatever? ....... is there a right and wrong sitting position?


There are many uncomfortable riding positions, and you can cause yourself injury with poor posture on a bike, just like you can with poor posture in front of a computer, but generally over a long time. If its been OK for 8 years, why is it wrong this year? I still think you would need to do something fairly extreme to injure yourself by simply sitting on the saddle.

bobbyg wrote:................... I am starting to think maybe its not my coccyx at all but maybe something else in that area!


And it could be that cycling is not the cause at all, but you have picked up some injury which shows up when you cycle.

TrekMad
Posts: 373
Joined: 2 Jun 2015, 10:17am

Re: Sore tailbone - seating position?

Postby TrekMad » 15 Aug 2015, 9:45pm

I would try various saddles one after the other. Eliminate the saddle as your source of discomfort and It's either got to be your position or anatomical.

bignige
Posts: 1
Joined: 28 Aug 2019, 10:53pm

Re: Sore tailbone - seating position?

Postby bignige » 28 Aug 2019, 11:03pm

I know your post is from a few years ago, but I seem to have the same symptoms and background eg regular cycling then winter spin classes etc. Sharp psin when getting up from a seat etc. Were you able to establish the cause and find relief or treatment??

User avatar
NUKe
Posts: 3685
Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 11:07pm
Location: Suffolk

Re: Sore tailbone - seating position?

Postby NUKe » 29 Aug 2019, 9:54am

bignige wrote:I know your post is from a few years ago, but I seem to have the same symptoms and background eg regular cycling then winter spin classes etc. Sharp psin when getting up from a seat etc. Were you able to establish the cause and find relief or treatment??

As I said in an earlier post, go see your doctor, but most likely cause is Haemorrhoids.
NUKe
_____________________________________

LittleGreyCat
Posts: 532
Joined: 7 Aug 2013, 8:31pm

Re: Sore tailbone - seating position?

Postby LittleGreyCat » 29 Aug 2019, 12:36pm

NUKe wrote:
bignige wrote:I know your post is from a few years ago, but I seem to have the same symptoms and background eg regular cycling then winter spin classes etc. Sharp psin when getting up from a seat etc. Were you able to establish the cause and find relief or treatment??

As I said in an earlier post, go see your doctor, but most likely cause is Haemorrhoids.


Wonderful remote diagnosis. I'm not sure of the accuracy though. Personal experience?

Very easy to check of course, and not (AFAICS) confirmed by anyone asking about the pain.

I get discomfort in the area of the bony bits where there is contact with the saddle.
I can feel this now sitting on a computer chair.
There are two distinct areas of discomfort, one either side, and it could very well be the muscles/tendons passing over this area which also seem to be involved in pedalling.
The discomfort gets less the more I cycle, which makes me think it is possibly a "bruised muscle" thing.
I have very little padding on my bum to cushion me, which may be a factor.

User avatar
NUKe
Posts: 3685
Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 11:07pm
Location: Suffolk

Re: Sore tailbone - seating position?

Postby NUKe » 29 Aug 2019, 3:00pm

LittleGreyCat wrote:
NUKe wrote:
bignige wrote:I know your post is from a few years ago, but I seem to have the same symptoms and background eg regular cycling then winter spin classes etc. Sharp psin when getting up from a seat etc. Were you able to establish the cause and find relief or treatment??

As I said in an earlier post, go see your doctor, but most likely cause is Haemorrhoids.


Wonderful remote diagnosis. I'm not sure of the accuracy though. Personal experience?

Yes

Very easy to check of course, and not (AFAICS) confirmed by anyone asking about the pain.

yes and that's why I suggested a visit to the doctor, Er there are2 pages on the orignail poster who described the pain the new poster said his was identical

I get discomfort in the area of the bony bits where there is contact with the saddle.

Not about the Sitbone pain different area

I can feel this now sitting on a computer chair.
There are two distinct areas of discomfort, one either side, and it could very well be the muscles/tendons passing over this area which also seem to be involved in pedalling.
The discomfort gets less the more I cycle, which makes me think it is possibly a "bruised muscle" thing.
I have very little padding on my bum to cushion me, which may be a factor.
NUKe

_____________________________________

LittleGreyCat
Posts: 532
Joined: 7 Aug 2013, 8:31pm

Re: Sore tailbone - seating position?

Postby LittleGreyCat » 29 Aug 2019, 7:25pm

NUKe wrote:
LittleGreyCat wrote:
NUKe wrote:As I said in an earlier post, go see your doctor, but most likely cause is Haemorrhoids.


Wonderful remote diagnosis. I'm not sure of the accuracy though. Personal experience?

Yes

Very easy to check of course, and not (AFAICS) confirmed by anyone asking about the pain.

yes and that's why I suggested a visit to the doctor, Er there are2 pages on the orignail poster who described the pain the new poster said his was identical

<snip>


OK - doesn't seem any way related to any discomfort from piles that I have suffered.
Strangely, cycling seems to improve them.

What I regard as my "sit bones" are the points where my bum meets the saddle, or in fact any seat.

I have two areas, one each cheek, which take most of my weight when seated.
This is where I feel the discomfort (if any) whilst riding, and the areas which remind me of my saddle when i am sat in a chair.

As I said, loss of padding due to loss of weight has made my bum very bony which means that I do have sit bone discomfort at times.