Campag / Shimano brake shoe compatibility ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Boogaloo

Campag / Shimano brake shoe compatibility ?

Post by Boogaloo »

I am looking to replace the pads in my Campag Daytona caliper brakes and am not finding it straightforward. The spare pads that I got in years ago turn out not to fit. Seems they changed the shape around 2000 when I bought mine. I could track down the correct Campag ones but would like a bit more choice in pad make/compound and am wondering if Shimano shoes will be ok as a direct replacement. They look about the same but I haven't tried any yet and as replacement shoes seem to come as Shimano or Campag compatible then there must be a difference?

Many thanks
tatanab

Re: Campag / Shimano brake shoe compatibility ?

Post by tatanab »

I have used several Shimano and other manufacturer brake shoes in Campag brakes with no problem. It doesn't necessarily work the other way around because some models of Campag (this century) use a screw that is captive with the shoe and a sleeve nut to an allen key head. The diameter of the Campag sleeve nut is a bit more than the space in a Shimano brake arm.
saddlesore

Post by saddlesore »

If you have pre 2000 brake shoes, you need pre 2000 blocks: BR-RE600. Quite widely available, Condor or Mercian will definitely have stock.
Campag blocks work on a pressure fit (put some liquid soap on them to get them into the shoes). Shimano rely on a grub screw. If you put Shimano in old Campy they may come out if you roll the bike backwards with the brake on. As I found out.
Alternatively get a set of Shimano / SwissStop / Aztec complete with holders, then replacement will be easy from LBS.
Boogaloo

Post by Boogaloo »

Thanks for the advice. Thinking about it the previous pads have lasted years so I don't really need to factor in future choice.
BR RE600 pads have been ordered.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Boogaloo wrote:I am looking to replace the pads in my Campag Daytona caliper brakes and am not finding it straightforward. The spare pads that I got in years ago turn out not to fit. Seems they changed the shape around 2000 when I bought mine. I could track down the correct Campag ones but would like a bit more choice in pad make/compound and am wondering if Shimano shoes will be ok as a direct replacement. They look about the same but I haven't tried any yet and as replacement shoes seem to come as Shimano or Campag compatible then there must be a difference?

Many thanks

Remove the old pads with a very thin flat screwdriver, then use Methylated spirit or Acetone to fit them back: they will slide in by hand 8)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...