Assessing tyre wear on slicks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nirakaro

Postby nirakaro » 12 Sep 2017, 12:51pm

Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick, can't remember when I put them on, but I think they've done about 3,000 miles, and to my untutored eye, they still look virtually new – but a failure far from home would be highly tiresome. How do I decide whether to replace them before another long tour?

meic

Re: Assessing tyre wear on slicks

Postby meic » 12 Sep 2017, 1:00pm

I would say to take them off and feel them.
I have recently retired a Hyper through this test, it felt obviously much thinner at the middle.

Have you sourced any replacements yet?
CRC were selling them off cheap until very recently but all gone now.

£18 each in Fatbirds, not too bad.
http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1728874/produ ... -385g.aspx
Yma o Hyd

9494arnold

Postby 9494arnold » 12 Sep 2017, 1:31pm

When you can see the canvas they are worn out :lol: :?

nirakaro

Postby nirakaro » 12 Sep 2017, 1:43pm

9494arnold wrote:When you can see the canvas they are worn out :lol: :?

No, come on, that's being hyper-cautious. Isn't there more than one layer of canvas?

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 12 Sep 2017, 3:53pm

I run Rubino Slicks on Mercian. 700x23
They seem ok, but the surface is crazed a bit.
They've done a tad over 2,900miles and they seem fine for a while yet IMO.
Mick F. Cornwall

the snail

Postby the snail » 12 Sep 2017, 4:15pm

nirakaro wrote:Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick, can't remember when I put them on, but I think they've done about 3,000 miles, and to my untutored eye, they still look virtually new – but a failure far from home would be highly tiresome. How do I decide whether to replace them before another long tour?

Good question. Just replaced my second rubino pro, both times I wore them right down and had the tire fail before I realised how worn they were. As above, feel of the tire, plus squared-off look? I think some sort of wear indicator would be nice. The first one failed with the rubber worn to paper-thin, looking at the last one there actually seems to be a fair amount of rubber left, so damage related maybe? The last one I noticed the tyre was bulging, attempted an emergency crisp-packet tyre boot, which failed after a couple of mins. The canvas was visible, but hadn't split all the way through - the tyre must have deformed and popped off the rim - good thing I wasn't riding at the time.

the snail

Postby the snail » 12 Sep 2017, 4:19pm

nirakaro wrote: How do I decide whether to replace them before another long tour?

I would replace them now if you're off touring, I don't think I got much more than 3-4,000 miles out of them.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 12 Sep 2017, 4:45pm

nirakaro wrote:
9494arnold wrote:When you can see the canvas they are worn out :lol: :?

No, come on, that's being hyper-cautious. Isn't there more than one layer of canvas?

Been there, done that...

With stub axle wheels, and hub brakes I have even cable tied a second tyre over the top whilst waiting for replacements (which had been sent in the wrong size). The cable ties failed pretty fast, but it turns out that rubber on rubber is quite grippy, so the second tyre stayed put...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way.
No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
A good pun is it's own reword

There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 12 Sep 2017, 4:48pm

I agree with the snails reply.

Whilst the tyres are off, you can decide whether they are 'spares' or are for the bin.

Re the thickness of the tyre; the carcass is about 1mm thick. It obviously varies a little, but slick tyres without much tread are typically 2.5 to3mm thickness in the tread centre when they are new.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tim-b

Postby tim-b » 13 Sep 2017, 5:42am

Hi
Let the air out and have a look around the tread. IME you can sometimes see the tread "bubbling" away from the carcase when the tyre is badly worn
Significant flattening on the rear tread is another indicator, the front might last for two rear tyres as a rule of thumb
Consider using a tyre with wear dimples/tread pattern. I can't understand why more manufacturers don't include these features; it's surely better for all than an overused tyre failing
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~

gxaustin

Postby gxaustin » 13 Sep 2017, 11:55am

The last two times I replaced a worn rear tyre I found that the fronts, though little worn, had picked up lots of nicks/cuts so I changed them as well. The rears didn't have as many nicks. Is that just fluke?

nirakaro

Postby nirakaro » 13 Sep 2017, 12:27pm

Doesn't sound like a fluke at all. I imagine both wheels are usually running over the same bit of ground, so anything that's there to be picked up will meet the front wheel first.

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 13 Sep 2017, 12:45pm

My front seems to pick up more debris than my rear.

Never quantified it, but I do seem to pick more stuff out of the front one. It also seems to be the one that gets the tarry stones stuck to.

Maybe a PhD in the making?

meic

Postby meic » 13 Sep 2017, 3:16pm

My front tyres have many more nicks, I always put it down to the fact that they have normally been there four times as long.
Another point is the nicks in the rear tyre get worn away as the tyre wears out.

I wonder if the same happens in reverse for frontbrake happy people who actually wear front tyres more rapidly.
Yma o Hyd

MikeDee

Postby MikeDee » 15 Sep 2017, 4:33pm

I wear my tires down to the cords. When cord is showing, barring cuts in the casing, that's how you know they are worn out. You are wasting money otherwise. I also discard the worn rear tire and rotate the front tire to the rear, putting the new tire on front.
Last edited by MikeDee on 15 Sep 2017, 4:33pm, edited 1 time in total.