Transferring components onto old mtb frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hippyonwheels

Transferring components onto old mtb frame

Post by hippyonwheels »

Evening all, wondering if I can bounce this idea around and see if there's likely to be any major issues. Just to say also that my bike mechanical skills are pretty basic so go easy on me...

I've got a GT Zaskar Race 2001-it's in really good nick with top quality components. However I would really like a steel touring bike, I've tried selling the Zaskar without any luck so I'm now thinking if I can pick up a decent 90's mtb steel frame I could just transfer over the components and have a pretty decent touring bike.

Life experience has taught me that sometimes the simplest plans don't quite work out like that so are there likely to be any significant incompatibility issues with things like bb's/ headsets etc. Part of the appeal of doing this is to save some money so if I have to start buying all sorts of things to modify it it might not be worth it.

Thanks for any feedback with this, Will
I never panic when I get lost lost- I just change where I want to go (Rita Rudner)
Brucey

Re: Transferring components onto old mtb frame

Post by Brucey »

BB shell widths on MTBs are sometimes 73mm instead of 68mm . Headsets are a rule unto themselves, I think it would be best to plan to keep a headset with each frame.

Seat tube diameters also vary so expect to perhaps use a different front mech and/or seat pin.

Most of the other bits should swap over OK, provided you have 26" wheels and a 1-1/8" steerer of the same type.

A potential snag is that the frame geometries that suit rigid forks the best mostly existed before the change away from quill stems; later steel frames (with A-head steerers) usually need longer suspension corrected rigid forks to work at their best in an expedition bike.

There is a query over the wheelset; a race wheelset may not make a very good expedition wheelset; something with 36 spokes and heavier, stronger rims may be the best if you intend to pack a real load.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

the only hinder I foresee is the disc brakes for the rear wheel.

everything else should swap over easy enough. you might need a new headset if you can't get a frame and fork set, a bottom bracket and a seat tube.

I know you want steel but you might find a decent alu frame that fits the bill. I've just converted a Marin rocky ridge 2001 into a happy tourer. that at least will get you going and you can take your time finding the right frame on ebay or similar.

another option is to use what you have and get a thule clamp on rack or two. the frame is designed to take massive abuse so a bit of luggage shouldn't hurt it. there are several carrier option to get you round any lack of mounts.
gaz

Post by gaz »

An early 90's MTB frame might be 130mm OLN. Far from insurmountable as potential issues go but worth keeping in mind.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
rjb

Post by rjb »

I converted an old 1989 MTB built with tange double butted tubing into a nice touring bike. Only problem I encountered was that the fork column was sized for a smaller stem than the conventional 1" quill. Presumably a BMX size. I managed to drill the fork column to the correct size, but I had access to a 7/8" drill. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

A frame you might want to look out for that converts easily and rides well for touring is a 90's Orange Clockwork or C16r. I used the C16r for a few years as a touring bike and it worked very well. It has a 73mm BB shell and I think a 31.8 seat tube (for front mech size) and remember the cable comes down from the top tube not from under the bb.
The rear drop out spacing is 135. The other thing to bear in mind relates to whether you intend to use drop or flat bars, noting that MTB frames are longer for flat bars.
There are always issues but easily worked around as long as the frame is a good fit.
hippyonwheels

Post by hippyonwheels »

Cheers Brucey, thats some really useful advise, yes the wheels could be a bit of an issue, they are super light which I've always seen as a good thing but obviously a concern for a tourer, thanks for your help, Will
I never panic when I get lost lost- I just change where I want to go (Rita Rudner)
hippyonwheels

Post by hippyonwheels »

Thanks very much guys, some really good advise there, have a great weekend :)