Saving Weight on a Spa Steel Tourer

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: Saving Weight on a Spa Steel Tourer

Post by reohn2 »

freiston wrote:On group rides, I reckon my bike turns the heads of men more than it does women.

A worrying prospect for a straight male such as myself,though the thought of such appreciation maybe welcome in your case,it would only be welcome from afar in mine :wink: .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
freiston

Post by freiston »

reohn2 wrote:
freiston wrote:On group rides, I reckon my bike turns the heads of men more than it does women.

A worrying prospect for a straight male such as myself,though the thought of such appreciation maybe welcome in your case,it would only be welcome from afar in mine :wink: .

Appreciation by others is fine from any quarter and gives me no cause to worry as long as it remains appreciation but I'm happy with my good lady as far as anything else goes ;)
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:

Just wondering about getting a ladyback tandem and cruising around on it with just me on board :wink:
Probably get plenty of attention of the wrong sort too :?
Hope the OP does not object to thread drift
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Just wondering about getting a ladyback tandem and cruising around on it with just me on board :wink:

Feel free to do what you will with my thread. The OP does not accept any responsibility for direction of said thread. :)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Just wondering about getting a ladyback tandem and cruising around on it with just me on board :wink:

In my experience, riding around on a tandem, with just me on board, get me calls of 'Oi! You've lost someone!' and 'What happened to your mate?!?'
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
RickH

Post by RickH »

If you want to turn heads ride a tandem! :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

RickH wrote:If you want to turn heads ride a tandem! :D

:lol: :lol: there's some truth to that...
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:
RickH wrote:If you want to turn heads ride a tandem! :D

:lol: :lol: there's some truth to that...

+1 :)
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

freiston wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Appreciation by others is fine from any quarter and gives me no cause to worry as long as it remains appreciation but I'm happy with my good lady as far as anything else goes ;)

I'm glad to hear it :)
W H Auden
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

[/quote]
Thanks for the helpful comments. I have also spent a little money on my Dawes Audax to make it fit really well and have fitted good tyres to try and decide which of the two I prefer to ride. So far the 25 mm tyres run at 6 bar (could I go lower I wonder?) are uncomfortable on rough roads in comparison.
[/quote]

You can definitely go lower on tyre pressures. I weigh 70 kg on a good day and run 25mm Continental GP4000S tyres at 5 bar rear and 4.5 bar front. Running them any harder only results in a harsher ride and no improvement in performance. I have never suffered a pinch puncture on a road bike.
horizon

Post by horizon »

landsurfer wrote:I have a SPA Steel Touring. It weighs nothing, not a gram, totally weightless.
Since I purchased it 12 months ago I have lost 16 kg of body mass, so my bike is now weightless.
As continue to lose weight I will have to tie my bike down as well as locking it to prevent it floating off ... :D

:lol:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

iandusud wrote:You can definitely go lower on tyre pressures. I weigh 70 kg on a good day and run 25mm Continental GP4000S tyres at 5 bar rear and 4.5 bar front. Running them any harder only results in a harsher ride and no improvement in performance. I have never suffered a pinch puncture on a road bike.

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go. Wish I knew where the makers get their recommended pressures from - IIIRC both Schwalbe and Conti. say 6 bar for 25mm.
RickH

Post by RickH »

NetworkMan wrote:
iandusud wrote:You can definitely go lower on tyre pressures. I weigh 70 kg on a good day and run 25mm Continental GP4000S tyres at 5 bar rear and 4.5 bar front. Running them any harder only results in a harsher ride and no improvement in performance. I have never suffered a pinch puncture on a road bike.

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go. Wish I knew where the makers get their recommended pressures from - IIIRC both Schwalbe and Conti. say 6 bar for 25mm.

Although, in my experience, I would expect to get pinch flats running 25s lower than that.

I'm getting on towards 80kg & the roads round here often have loose stones, as well as multitudinous potholes. Sometimes trying to avoid them all is nigh on impossible. (Life is much easier now I'm on 38mm tyres running at around 2.5bar but that is a whole other discussion).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

RickH wrote:
NetworkMan wrote:

Although, in my experience, I would expect to get pinch flats running 25s lower than that.

I'm getting on towards 80kg & the roads round here often have loose stones, as well as multitudinous potholes. Sometimes trying to avoid them all is nigh on impossible. (Life is much easier now I'm on 38mm tyres running at around 2.5bar but that is a whole other discussion).

But I'm only 60 kg. Mind you, I just read a piece by Jan Heine of wide tyre Compass Bicycle fame. He points out that during heavy braking the load on the front tyre goes up enormously so that the conventional wisdom of running the front at significantly lower pressure than the back may not be valid.
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/06/ ... -pressure/
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

NetworkMan wrote:
RickH wrote:
NetworkMan wrote:Thanks for that. I'll give it a go. Wish I knew where the makers get their recommended pressures from - IIIRC both Schwalbe and Conti. say 6 bar for 25mm.

But I'm only 60 kg. Mind you, I just read a piece by Jan Heine of wide tyre Compass Bicycle fame. He points out that during heavy braking the load on the front tyre goes up enormously so that the conventional wisdom of running the front at significantly lower pressure than the back may not be valid.
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/06/ ... -pressure/

I don't even bother reading what that guy says, back in the day of early Mtb there were no suspension forks, and wonder why the front tyre would often be chosen slightly bigger :wink:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...