Stainless Steel water bottles

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
elPedro666

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Post by elPedro666 »

Recognise those - think we picked ours up from a petrol pump clip offer for a more-than-reasonable £3! Never intended it for cycling but having forgotten my usual bottles on holiday once I wrapped it in ducktape and it worked fine, rattle-free.

Whilst looking at that link I also spotted these, which may work well for some folks:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2582264822

I also use a flask wrapped in foam and ducktape - but that's really more to do with my coffee obsession... [emoji6]ImageImage

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my CLT-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

pete75 wrote:As an aside when/why did was a bidon renamed a drink bottle or water bottle

This terminological change reflects the diminishing importance of road racing and therefore of French within the larger cycling community.

(!)
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
pete75 wrote:As an aside when/why did was a bidon renamed a drink bottle or water bottle

This terminological change reflects the diminishing importance of road racing and therefore of French within the larger cycling community.

(!)
In combination with the demise of French as English becomes the language of the peloton. Shame as it seems much less romantic to my ear.

JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Is it diminishing? I've seen it suggested elsewhere that the usage was far from universal; trad clubmen would have called it a bottle, and 'bidon' was a shibboleth/affectation* for Europhile BLRC types. (See also e.g. peloton/bunch; arrivée/finish; pavé/cobbles, &c.)

This seems to still be a matter for debate. I know some folk that vehemently dislike 'bidon' in particular; I rather like it myself, though I use it interchangeably with 'bottle'.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

elPedro666 wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:

(!)
In combination with the demise of French as English becomes the language of the peloton. Shame as it seems much less romantic to my ear.

Your reason is far more serious than mine.

On the topic, the only metal water bottle I have is a 1.5 litre one with a screw top from Decathlon. It's obviously somewhat too large to use as a regular, ah, bidon, but I do carry it on the bike in a Monkii cage for camping. While I do agree that a warm plastic bottle does impart some unpleasant taste to water - or even to cold water if it's been in the bottle for longer than about 12 hours - I simply have so many plastic drinks bottles that there's no point me buying others. PET bottles don't seem to taint water, so I've got wonder why that isn't used for "sports" bottles too. Presumably it's not deemed tough enough?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bmblbzzz wrote:

(!)

Don't know about the diminishing importance of road racing, but anyone who shifts into a foreign language, with necessary guttural shifts of diction, to describe something like a water bottle plummets down in my estimation.
To something like

Ponce.
Sweep
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Sweep wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:

(!)

Don't know about the diminishing importance of road racing, but anyone who shifts into a foreign language, with necessary guttural shifts of diction, to describe something like a water bottle plummets down in my estimation.
To something like

Ponce.

Tom SImpson was hardly a ponce. What do you call a bungalow then - a single story house? The word is Hindi. And presumably you refer to the well known band Status Quo as "The Existing State" or some similar phrase.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

:)

Fair interesting points.

But I just see it as posey affected.

Not alone in that.

Wasn't casting any aspersions on tom simpson of course.

All the best.

Ps, will be spending christmas in a bungalow, tho not listening to quo.

Edit, my attitude may be influencee by an experience with one of the bidon fraternity. Used to lead lots of rides. One bloke was desperately trying to cadge water off folk. Had deliberately left bottle/bidon at home to save weight/maintain purity of the bike.
Last edited by Sweep on 8 Dec 2018, 9:28am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Is this another of those irregular verbs? I respect the traditions and customs of the sport/you're a bit posey/he's an affected ponce...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Sweep wrote::)

Fair interesting points.

But I just see it as posey affected.

Not alone in that.

Wasn't casting any aspersions on tom simpson of course.

All the best.

Ps, will be spending christmas in a bungalow, tho not listening to quo.

Edit, my attitude may be influencee by an experience with one of the bidon fraternity. Used to lead lots of rides. One bloke was desperately trying to cadge water off folk. Had deliberately left bottle/bidon at home to save weight/maintain purity of the bike.

When I started club riding in the late sixties everyone called them a bidon. In them days there weren't any posey/affected people in Lincolnshire. There are now because there's a fair few incomers from London and the Home Counties. :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Perhaps.

I'm not from the south though.

All the best, suppose we better get back to steel bottles.
Sweep
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Sweep wrote:Perhaps.

I'm not from the south though.

You mean you chose to move there..... :shock: :o :wink:

As for water bottle s- just type Stainless Steel Water bottle into Aliexpress and it returns thousands of them for sale.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I've been using water bottles on bikes for fifty years without calling them "bidons", and I imagine the word "bidon" was confined to cycle club use, rather than being used among the wider cycling public. It is a trivial point and I'm happy to accept either term.

I'd have trouble using a metal bottle/bidon. I automatically squeeze the bottle to get the contents out quicker, so I'd have to unlearn that. Or increase my hand strength.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:I've been using water bottles on bikes for fifty years without calling them "bidons", and I imagine the word "bidon" was confined to cycle club use, rather than being used among the wider cycling public. It is a trivial point and I'm happy to accept either term.

I'd have trouble using a metal bottle/bidon. I automatically squeeze the bottle to get the contents out quicker, so I'd have to unlearn that. Or increase my hand strength.

Yeah but you'd have to keep buying new ones cos they'd end up squashed. :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:I've been using water bottles on bikes for fifty years without calling them "bidons", and I imagine the word "bidon" was confined to cycle club use, rather than being used among the wider cycling public. It is a trivial point and I'm happy to accept either term.

Yeah but you'd have to keep buying new ones cos they'd end up squashed. :wink:

That could work out expensive. I may stick to plastic.