Rims with decent braking surface thickness?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Re: Rims with decent braking surface thickness?

Postby Sweep » 15 May 2019, 4:25pm

Question for folks on the CXP22 sub topic.

If you come across rims branded just CXP22 rather than CXP22 Elite, does that mean they have the reassuringly old fashioned depth of rim metal?
Sweep

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 15 May 2019, 5:06pm

no such thing as CXP22 elite, was CXP22, now 'CXP elite' is the current model.

There were several versions of the CXP22; some made in Europe, some in Taiwan, some with eyelets some without, some called CXP22S. They may have varied but IME none had the guts machined out them like the examples of the new CXP elite that I have seen.

FWIW I have recently found an Archetype with rim wall thickness of ~1.2mm when new. Now goes on my 'sometimes crap' list.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Samuel D

Postby Samuel D » 15 May 2019, 10:39pm

The last Mavic Open Elite, 32-hole, silver rim I built up weighed 449.9 g on my calibrated balance. That’s by far the lightest I’ve seen. The walls were down to about 1.3 mm in places. Additionally the valve hole wasn’t drilled all the way through so I couldn’t fit a tube before taking a drill to it. I know it’s a cheap rim but that didn’t impress me.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 16 May 2019, 5:37am

Brucey wrote:no such thing as CXP22 elite, was CXP22, now 'CXP elite' is the current model.

There were several versions of the CXP22; some made in Europe, some in Taiwan, some with eyelets some without, some called CXP22S. They may have varied but IME none had the guts machined out them like the examples of the new CXP elite that I have seen.

FWIW I have recently found an Archetype with rim wall thickness of ~1.2mm when new. Now goes on my 'sometimes crap' list.

cheers

Thanks brucey for the branding clarification.
Sweep

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 16 May 2019, 1:42pm

Samuel D wrote:The last Mavic Open Elite, 32-hole, silver rim I built up weighed 449.9 g on my calibrated balance. That’s by far the lightest I’ve seen. The walls were down to about 1.3 mm in places. Additionally the valve hole wasn’t drilled all the way through so I couldn’t fit a tube before taking a drill to it. I know it’s a cheap rim but that didn’t impress me.

Open elite is the replacement for the Open Sport which in turn was the replacement for the MA3; all share a similar extrusion design and ERD value. BITD when they didn't machine them so much these rims weighed nearly 500g.

"Interesting" measurements; obviously this is a training rim and you would have to be bonkers barmy not to want another 30-40g of braking surface on the rim.

I have a feeling that Mavic have these rims produced in a different factory now (what does it say on the label?), and that they can't be bothered to make the rims straight before machining the braking surfaces. The result is that they don't 'clean up' without a lot being machined off and what remains is of very variable wall thickness. Honestly, you couldn't do a better job of sabotaging rim production if you tried.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Samuel D

Postby Samuel D » 16 May 2019, 11:04pm

Brucey wrote:Open elite is the replacement for the Open Sport which in turn was the replacement for the MA3; all share a similar extrusion design and ERD value. BITD when they didn't machine them so much these rims weighed nearly 500g.

Right. And even the machined Open Elite is specified by Mavic to weigh 490 g. Knocking 40 g off that must mostly come from the excessively machined brake tracks.

Brucey wrote:I have a feeling that Mavic have these rims produced in a different factory now (what does it say on the label?)

Made in Romania. I’ve seen the state of the art Continental factory in Timișoara so I know that label need not mean what some people in the west believe from the communist legacy, but this rim was terribly made. There were burrs everywhere (but so are there are on French made Open Pros at twice the price), the valve hole was about 4 mm wide because the drill bit hadn’t completed its descent, and then there was the overly machined walls. Not cool.

axel_knutt

Postby axel_knutt » 17 May 2019, 4:27pm

AndyA wrote:Does anyone know the thickness of a Mavic A719?

Between 1.5-1.75mm.
The rim wear indicators (when they had them) used to appear at between 1.1-1.25mm.

I get about 20,000 miles out of them with very abrasive Shimano M-55/T blocks.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche