What type and length of rivets?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Redvee

Re: What type and length of rivets?

Postby Redvee » 15 Aug 2019, 1:26am

I used M4 nuts and bolts when the bracket on my front guard started to rattle caused by a loose rivet, drilled out the offending rivets and replaced the m with the head of the bolt on the inside which also gave me the flexibility to move the mounting point of the mudguard if I need to.

ferrit worrier

Re: What type and length of rivets?

Postby ferrit worrier » 15 Aug 2019, 9:42am

Brucey wrote:that'll be a 6mm aluminium pop rivet you need then. The thing is that you may struggle to find them short enough, and if you do, you may be forced to buy dozens rather than just a few. If you are pernickety about the amount of rivet showing on the inside, you are better off taking the pin out the rivet, trimming the rivet to the exact right length, and then using a tapered punch to set it.

I have looked for solid aluminium rivets and failed to find any that were easy to buy. Maybe someone else knows better?

FWIW it is also possible to make a very satisfactory connection using a CSK M3 screw/nylock nut in stainless, using washers that are sized so that the CSK head doesn't quite pull through. To make this work, IIRC I had to buy allen key type CSK screws, which had a slightly larger head than slotted ones.

cheers

try Paddock Landrover spares Part Number: 302818
Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.