Frame sizing opinions - odd Bravura/Nidderdale eBay frames?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
531colin

Re: Frame sizing opinions - odd Bravura/Nidderdale eBay frames?

Postby 531colin » 7 Sep 2019, 5:06pm

Salade_Lyonnaise wrote:……... It's either I go with the Galaxy Tour (needing a seized BB removed and re-tapped),.....

Just how "seized" is the BB? In other words, what degrees of violence have you used to try to remove it?
Why does it need re-tapping? If the thread is damaged, Brucey will recommend Aralditing one cup of a sealed unit BB into the damaged thread, which means (if you pick your BB carefully) you can still replace it, in the unlikely event that you wear it out.
Have you got either cup out or neither?
Get somebody to weld a big bit of bar to one cup; the thermal shock is likely to break the bond, and even if it doesn't you will still be able to undo it.
The second cup will (in my experience) always yield to Sheldon's big nut and bolt trick, or a long-established shop will have a similar special tool.
Assuming its an old loose ball BB set, the cups were really quite hard. If both cups are still in, hold the frame by the bottom of the seat tube, and give the end of the BB axle a really good crack with a hammer....or several cracks. The cups are often hard enough to shatter given this treatment, and then you can simply pick the broken bits out. If you have one cup out, put a big cold chisel in the BB shell, put the remaining cup on a big bit of wood, and crack out the cup.
Edit...just read it properly..."Galaxy Tour?"....so its a unit BB? so alloy cups corroded into steel frame?

Salade_Lyonnaise

Postby Salade_Lyonnaise » 9 Sep 2019, 3:43pm

Thanks Colin!

I'll give that a go.

re. The wayfarer - I was waiting for full geometry to establish if the frame would suit an semi-upright (swept back handlebar) position for my height etc.

Cheers

531colin

Postby 531colin » 10 Sep 2019, 6:47pm

Salade_Lyonnaise wrote:............I'll give that a go....

First thing is to establish if its a unit BB or the old loose ball bearing type. Don't go clouting a unit, they aren't brittle.
The old loose ball will have a lockring on the left cup....as usual, see Sheldon Brown or Park Tools for details.

Salade Lyonnaise wrote:…..re. The wayfarer - I was waiting for full geometry to establish if the frame would suit an semi-upright (swept back handlebar) position for my height etc. ...

OK, I think you are 6 feet or just under? I'm 5'10" (or less, these days) so I'll look out numbers for 54cm (my size) and next size up.

531colin

Postby 531colin » 10 Sep 2019, 7:02pm

Easier than I thought.....
54 wayfarer
Head tube 170
Fork 400
Seat angle 72
Head angle 70.5
Offset 59
BB drop 57
chainstay 460
Long version, disc only
ETT 573
front centre 635
Short version, rim or disc
ETT 558
FC 620

I can't give you standover because that's measured from a built bike, but the top tube is "dropped" a bit...top tube (centre) is 50 and 40mm respectively below top of seat and head tube.

531colin

Postby 531colin » 10 Sep 2019, 7:13pm

58 Wayfarer
Head tube 210
BB drop 55
Fork, chainstays, frame angles as 54.
Short version, disc or rim brake
ETT 572
FC 635
Long disc only
ETT 586
FC 650
As 54, the top tube (centre) is dropped 50 and 40mm (centre) below the top of seat and head tube respectively.

Now my head is reeling a bit.....if any of this looks wrong, please shout!

Salade_Lyonnaise

Postby Salade_Lyonnaise » 12 Sep 2019, 12:22pm

That's fantastic Colin, thanks.

It's a really great looking bike, ticks a lot of boxes! :D