Tern Andros Stem - dimensions and user experience

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
snaz

Tern Andros Stem - dimensions and user experience

Postby snaz » 6 Nov 2019, 8:14pm

Hi
Can anyone tell me the following dimensions of the Tern Andros Stem:
https://www.ternbicycles.com/gear/472/andros-stem

1. What is the width of the clamp handles at their widest part, the end where the axel is located ?
2. What is the over-all length of the clamp handle ?
3. What is the diameter of the circular clamp parts at each end, through which the handlebar and bike stem are inserted ?
4. Has anyone used the Andros clamp handles and have anything to report about their use, including as hacks or mods on other model bikes. Photos welcome.
Thanks for your t&a ;-)
sp
Image Attachments
tern andros handles.jpg

Si

Re: Tern Andros Stem - dimensions and user experience

Postby Si » 7 Nov 2019, 5:21pm

Ive a similar Tern stem on my folder. Had it a few years any it still works fine, never needed any adjustment.

I guess its not something that most people need, but ive a bad neck that sometimes benefits from a more upright position and this stem allows really easy adjustment with no tools when my neck starts to ache.

snaz

Postby snaz » 8 Nov 2019, 3:19pm

Hi
thanks for yr reply.
Do you think it's possible or have you ever only tried deploying one of the handles rather than both ?

:? sp

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 8 Nov 2019, 3:33pm

clamps are 1.0" (25.4mm) both ends. The stem is designed to be used on a 'T' width of ~100mm.

You need both clamps done up tight.

If you don't need the QD function, also look at the Satori 'Aber Hallo' stem.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Si

Postby Si » 9 Nov 2019, 2:37pm

snaz wrote:Hi
thanks for yr reply.
Do you think it's possible or have you ever only tried deploying one of the handles rather than both ?

:? sp

the version that i have has a central lever rather than two outer ones....basically the two levers on the one you are looking at have a cross piece joining them

snaz

Postby snaz » 9 Nov 2019, 7:34pm

Hi thanks

so actually i was thinking of using the andros handles with the Satori 'Aber Hallo' stem.
So i wanted to know if both the Andros handles will fit / clamp inside the inner length of the top bar of the Satori 'Aber Hallo' stem ?
Hence asking what for confirmation of the width of the Andros handle at the widest part or at each end ?

So the set up i'm thinking of is:
1 brommie with an h type stem
2 then a 100-120mm length / 25.4" diameter bar clamped into brommie stem ( Can any one recommend / link me to such a thing ?)
3 then Satori 'Aber Hallo' stem clamped to the 25.4" bar
4. then 2 x Tern Andros handles clamped to the Satori 'Aber Hallo' stem
5 then Velo Porteur handlebars clamped to the Tern Andros handles

comments welcome
thanks
sp
Image Attachments
vph.jpg
tern andros handles.jpg
dsr.jpg
dsr.jpg (5.51 KiB) Viewed 145 times

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 10 Nov 2019, 1:41am

if I understand you correctly it.....

a) sounds utterly bizarre to me (why not just buy bars that are the right shape instead of having two stems?) and

b) it won't work anyway; the bars are mostly 22.2mm (or 23.4mm depending on model) dia and are only 25.4mm dia for a length that is about 30mm or so.

Both the stems are in separate bits so you can do what you like with the spacing of the clamps; the Aber Hallo stem clamps can be swapped left for right to vary the spacing how you like. BTW you can't fit just 'the handles' from the Andros stem to anything else, (not easily anyway) if that is what you are thinking of.

cheers

snaz

Postby snaz » 10 Nov 2019, 4:06pm

Brucey wrote:if I understand you correctly it.....

a) sounds utterly bizarre to me (why not just buy bars that are the right shape instead of having two stems?) and

b) it won't work anyway; the bars are mostly 22.2mm (or 23.4mm depending on model) dia and are only 25.4mm dia for a length that is about 30mm or so.

Both the stems are in separate bits so you can do what you like with the spacing of the clamps; the Aber Hallo stem clamps can be swapped left for right to vary the spacing how you like. BTW you can't fit just 'the handles' from the Andros stem to anything else, (not easily anyway) if that is what you are thinking of.

cheers

Hi thanks for your continued advice.

a) Heres some pics of an (old version) andros stem on a brommie :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/90727905@ ... 414538812/
I'm not so sure doing this set up with an additional Aber Hallo stem is so far fetched as to be bizarre.

If you mean by "why not just buy bars that are the right shape instead of having two stems" buy a stem riser/extender bar then i can't find any which i understand will attach over the clamp end of a brommie stem - maybe you know better than me and can advise or link to an example which you think will work. If you mean buy right shape handlebar, then i wish to install a vintage swept back handlebar on my brommie.

b) Yes i'm aware of the 22.2" issue - it might be possible to get around that by afixing a shim - There is this brommie - andros kit :
https://www.faltradxxs.de/tern-andros-u ... enker.html
but im not paying £200 for it - i can try and mock up my own.

c) I'm not sure what you mean by 'you cant just fix the andros stem to anything else easily'. I can replicate the T bar with a basic single 120mm bar insert which only leaves the issue of the width of the andros clamp. Fixing shims in place may come into play to fix that issue. Others have recommended aluminium tape.

I'm likely to go ahead with this set-up , given that i can't find any basic stem extender/riser bars which i understand can replace it (and i'd like to use a generic extender but again i don't see how i can) - if you have any concerns about safety - i'd be grateful if you could let me know.

thanks again for your time and advice - appreciated -
sp :D

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 10 Nov 2019, 8:29pm

You can use the Andros clamps on any 25.4mm tube/bar of course, but you mentioned using 'the Andros handles' which sounded like you meant something else, part of the assembly only perhaps.

It seems like the basic problem is that you want to fit a 'vintage swept back bar' to a bike that is not designed to accept such a thing. I would expect that you could get your hands in the same place using another handlebar shape and no stem extensions, but it is not clear to me where you expect your hands to end up vs the stem clamp.

You can bodge together all kinds of parts in all kinds of interesting ways and beauty is, of course, in the eye of the beholder. However folding the bike to a compact size once you have frankenbars fitted is another matter.

cheers

snaz

Postby snaz » 10 Nov 2019, 9:23pm

Hi thanks again

I think what you're saying (advising) is i can just get away with bringing the handles forward by positioning the andros stem sloping inwards ? i.e. there's no need to have rear facing/swept back grips. If so that is an option indeed.

I find the upright h type set up on the brommie has a reach which is uncomfortable when sitting in the saddle. I would go so far as to say it's a bad design and distorts the advantages of upright cycling. I want upright riding but i want a better hold on my handle bars. So either i attach an s type bar and bring it closer via an andros stem or use a swept back handlebar.

Mods on brommies, in fact on all bikes, come in all shapes and sizes and i think that's a healthy thing. I don't think the brommie is a particularly 'beautiful' object. It's got an odd angular design that looks out of date and 1980s. But it's full of ingenious bits of applied design and the folding is still the smallest yet achieved. So frankenbars on a frankenton may actually be manna from heaven. You've not flagged up any safety concerns - so in theory some configuration of my proposal seems to remain an option.

Thanks for your attention - it's helpful to sound out these ideas as it reveals hidden options.
sp :)