Crunchy small sprockets

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
geocycle

Re: Crunchy small sprockets

Postby geocycle » 14 Jan 2020, 1:49pm

bgnukem wrote:I'm switching to 13-up cassettes on my winter and commuting bikes in future, hopefully they will last longer, tolerate slightly-worn chains better than an 11T and also wear the chain slightly more slowly as less chain articulation is required around the larger sprockets.

But the larger sprockets will weigh a few grams more so it'll never catch on!!

That sounds sensible to me. Are there any out there for shimano 11 speed with a 13-32 or similar range?

Ray

Postby Ray » 14 Jan 2020, 2:23pm

geocycle wrote:
bgnukem wrote:I'm switching to 13-up cassettes on my winter and commuting bikes in future, hopefully they will last longer, tolerate slightly-worn chains better than an 11T and also wear the chain slightly more slowly as less chain articulation is required around the larger sprockets.

That sounds sensible to me. Are there any out there for shimano 11 speed with a 13-32 or similar range?

Miche custom cassettes are available, if a bit pricey (£60 for 13-32).
https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/m ... imano-sram
Otherwise I think you'd have to combine 2 cassettes as I suggest above.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell

bgnukem

Postby bgnukem » 14 Jan 2020, 4:14pm

geocycle wrote:

I'm still using 7/8-speed so perhaps not in 10/11-speed (due to the wider range of the cassettes)!

In the past I've used 9-speed and just left off the smallest and largest sprockets (rivets drilled out to separate, but not possible if multiple sprockets are mounted on spiders) to get what I need, but the smallest sprocket is supposed to have serrations to engage with the lockring and stop it loosening. I think you can get away with using the lockring against the next biggest sprocket by tightening it well and maybe using Loctite threadlock, however.

nigelnightmare

Postby nigelnightmare » 14 Jan 2020, 6:09pm

Don't forget to change the jockey wheels to 13T from 11T (less articulation) as well then as even though they are on the low tension side they still have the sprung tension from the derailleur. :wink: