Advice for carrying childs bag on SS frame/handlebar

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ike2112

Advice for carrying childs bag on SS frame/handlebar

Postby ike2112 » 22 Feb 2021, 6:19pm

Just had a bike converted to Single Speed and will use it for a few fun rides but mostly pottering about my village, including riding next to my son to school.

However realised today, I really need to be able to carry his schoolbag for him at times too if its pretty stuffed/heavy or on PE days potentially. Its too small in the straps to actually wear on my body, but too big to just hook on a lever (it catches the wheel). My frame doesn't have any points for attaching pannier racks or really any frame mounts.

Are there any products out there feasible for attaching a small kids rucksack to? Putting on the top-tube right behind the stem would be ideal, or middle of handlebars.

Last edited by ike2112 on 23 Feb 2021, 12:31am, edited 1 time in total.

Jdsk

Re: Advice for carrying childs back on SS frame/handlebar

Postby Jdsk » 22 Feb 2021, 6:24pm

This sort of thing?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage-hooks-fittings/

Jonathan

PS: There's a typo in the Subject.
Last edited by Jdsk on 22 Feb 2021, 6:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElCani

Postby ElCani » 22 Feb 2021, 6:24pm

There are many seatpost mounted rack options that could work.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=seatp ... =719&dpr=3

Jupestar

Postby Jupestar » 22 Feb 2021, 10:53pm

I use a bigger rucksack and put his in mine. Mine is collapsible so gets shoved my pocket if it not got any of my stuff in it. His drink bottle goes in the drink holder as it’s prone to leaking on my clean clothes in the bag...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/travel-ul ... 286&c=GREY

ike2112

Postby ike2112 » 23 Feb 2021, 12:37am

Jdsk wrote:This sort of thing?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage-hooks-fittings/
Jonathan
PS: There's a typo in the Subject.

Yeah that makes more sense actually, for some reason I was thinking no stays or seatpost options so resorted to thinking of handlebar.

ElCani wrote:There are many seatpost mounted rack options that could work.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=seatp ... =719&dpr=3

Sorry should have mentioned in original post - its a carbon seatpost, so not sure about this being feasible, risk of scratching/breaking?
I hadn't been aware of fixings that seem to attach to the saddle rails as above though.

ike2112

Postby ike2112 » 23 Feb 2021, 12:38am

Jupestar wrote:I use a bigger rucksack and put his in mine. Mine is collapsible so gets shoved my pocket if it not got any of my stuff in it. His drink bottle goes in the drink holder as it’s prone to leaking on my clean clothes in the bag...

That is the most stupidly obvious and ideal answer.

Whats worse is, I have one of these foldup backpacks already!... I might just try that tomorrow - though the saddlerail carrier seems a great idea for when it comes to picking up shopping etc too.

9494arnold

Re: Advice for carrying childs bag on SS frame/handlebar

Postby 9494arnold » 23 Feb 2021, 8:28am

The Saddlebag uplift shown might not work with a Rucksack, it's intended for a Saddlebag and might not be big enough or strong enough for what you intend .
And the Saddlebag loops that bolt around the saddle rails have a tendency to slip even if you do them up really tight.
Been there, done that ! .
(I am guessing the one in the picture does fit the seatpin too, looking at the picture, not used one like that, mine all sit in the Saddle loops with a bar that sits behind the saddle rails and relies on the weight (or a strap) to hold it down.
Have you considered a satchel fastened over the top tube ? Might not do the paint much good though.
I think what you might need is a 'beam rack' , which fits the seat pin . I think you can get them with a quick release mechanism so the rack could stay with son's bike between trips.
I have never used one but lots if folk do on Mountain bikes etc.
If you are worried about your seatpin , how about substituting a less expensive one for the duration ?
Or a trailer which could stay at school with son's bike ?

pwa

Postby pwa » 23 Feb 2021, 9:33am

ike2112 wrote:
Jupestar wrote:I use a bigger rucksack and put his in mine. Mine is collapsible so gets shoved my pocket if it not got any of my stuff in it. His drink bottle goes in the drink holder as it’s prone to leaking on my clean clothes in the bag...

Whats worse is, I have one of these foldup backpacks already!... I might just try that tomorrow - though the saddlerail carrier seems a great idea for when it comes to picking up shopping etc too.

Using a bigger rucksack seems like the most obvious solution for a short journey.

Jupestar

Postby Jupestar » 23 Feb 2021, 10:04am

ike2112 wrote:

I should also mention that i also use my bike to go a further 9 miles to work straight after, and this 'normally'** involves carrying the bike up 100 odd steps (need to count one day). **The lift is normally not working. For something to attach to my bike it needs to be absolutely essential.

ike2112

Re: Advice for carrying childs bag on SS frame/handlebar

Postby ike2112 » 24 Feb 2021, 7:11pm

9494arnold wrote:I think what you might need is a 'beam rack' , which fits the seat pin . I think you can get them with a quick release mechanism so the rack could stay with son's bike between trips.
I have never used one but lots if folk do on Mountain bikes etc.
If you are worried about your seatpin , how about substituting a less expensive one for the duration ?
Or a trailer which could stay at school with son's bike ?

Do you mean changing out the seatpost collar for one that has the ability to bolt/screw a rack type attachment?

I used to have a rack like this, I think it was for MTBs but I used it on my carbon roadbike. It connected only at the rear QR skewer, you had to replace that with one that protruded slightly, and at the top two arms narrowly converged either side of the seatpost at the collar. It was ok-ish, looked like a regular pannier rack but was less stable and kind of a faff having to use a different skewer.