Padless Cycling Tights?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
geocycle

Re: Padless Cycling Tights?

Post by geocycle »

I have endura multi sports for spring and autumn and gore for winter. I find Ron hills a bit loose but have some in reserve. Good unpadded tights are hard to find. I’m not keen on padded shorts or longs and even less keen on the bib variety.
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

Try Decathlon running tights, although they aren’t loose.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

geomannie wrote: 3 May 2021, 1:13pm I hate padded shorts & tights and in cooler weather use Ron Hill Tracksters. They are primarily designed for running but are great for cycling. They are very durable and pretty cheap too!

£18 at https://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/buy/r ... c_4988.htm
Super deal from Pete Bland in that link .. my very old pairs (a Bikester and a Trackster) are completely shot so have used your link to order another pair of tracksters. I actually hadnt realised they were still made or I would have ordered them sooner ...

In use I put mountain bike baggies over the top of these to get pockets etc ... sounds crazy but works really well for me in winter ...

thanks for posting geomannie :-)
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Important addendum - I think - to above:

High BACK tights are what cyclists need - not simply high-WAISTED!

(Ron Hills are brilliant all-round activity things, assuming you don't need warm Roubaix-style materials. But they do NOT have high backs ... )
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

zenitb wrote: 5 May 2021, 4:10pm
geomannie wrote: 3 May 2021, 1:13pm I hate padded shorts & tights and in cooler weather use Ron Hill Tracksters. They are primarily designed for running but are great for cycling. They are very durable and pretty cheap too!

£18 at https://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/buy/r ... c_4988.htm
Super deal from Pete Bland in that link .. my very old pairs (a Bikester and a Trackster) are completely shot so have used your link to order another pair of tracksters. I actually hadnt realised they were still made or I would have ordered them sooner ...

In use I put mountain bike baggies over the top of these to get pockets etc ... sounds crazy but works really well for me in winter ...

thanks for posting geomannie :-)

Just Google Ron Hill trackster and you will find lots of places sell them, at a variety of prices. Given Pete Bland do them post free, they are as good as any.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

mattheus wrote: 5 May 2021, 4:18pm Important addendum - I think - to above:

(Ron Hills are brilliant all-round activity things, assuming you don't need warm Roubaix-style materials. But they do NOT have high backs ... )
If you say so. I have worn Ron Hills for 20 years and have never complained of a cold back.
geomannie
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

geomannie wrote: 5 May 2021, 5:24pm
mattheus wrote: 5 May 2021, 4:18pm Important addendum - I think - to above:

If you say so. I have worn Ron Hills for 20 years and have never complained of a cold back.
If it helps I cut the leg loops off mine. That stopped them getting pulled out of place !!! ;-)
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

At one time, Ron Hill used to do Bikesters, which were higher cut at the back, not sure if they still do?

These days I tend to go double padded - padded tights over padded shorts, but as part of my clothing stable I have Altura Winter Cruisers ( again not sure if they are still made) and Tudor Sports York trousers, both of these don’t have a pad. The Tudors are still available and are a bit baggier than Lycra or Roubaix bottoms.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

If you say so. I have worn Ron Hills for 20 years <snip>
I do.

(I've worn them for about the same time! I'm not bothered much about the cut of Ron Hills on the bike, as when cold is any real issue I wear Roubaix-type bike-specific tights. So if you're happy with Tracksters, great!)
[Ron Hill Tracksters] They are primarily designed for running
So they probably wouldn't have as high a back as a cycling-specific design.
Last edited by mattheus on 6 May 2021, 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

mattheus wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:30am
If you say so. I have worn Ron Hills for 20 years <snip>
I do.

(I've worn them for about the same time!)
[Ron Hill Tracksters] They are primarily designed for running
So they probably wouldn't have as high a back as a cycling-specific design.
Might it depend on cycling "posture"? How much one is bending forward at the waist?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mikeymo wrote: 6 May 2021, 10:53am
Might it depend on cycling "posture"? How much one is bending forward at the waist?
Yes of course, that will be a factor. But almost everyone bends forward more when cycling than running. It's just MY personal preference of course!
Claud

Post by Claud »

Any chance one the Trackster fans could do me a favour and measure from the crotch cross-seam to the top of the rear waist and let me know the size? Looking at my worn out old Alturas they're only slightly shaped up at the back and have worked well for me if I don't use the leg loops to pull them down (40cm for a size L).
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Not sure if it will help. I bought 2 pairs in a sale about 10 years ago. Only a quid each. Just started on the 2nd pair.

They are womens, size 10. I was told they are same as men's - dunno if true, but fine for me.
On my only worn a couple of times pair, the distance is 36.5 cms.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Claud wrote: 8 May 2021, 4:56pm Any chance one the Trackster fans could do me a favour and measure from the crotch cross-seam to the top of the rear waist and let me know the size? Looking at my worn out old Alturas they're only slightly shaped up at the back and have worked well for me if I don't use the leg loops to pull them down (40cm for a size L).
15 1/2 inches (39.4cm) for the 32"-35" waist Medium size i have just received from Pete Bland in Kendal
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Ron Hill died today.

Wonderful athlete.

Jonathan

PS: I had the good fortune to be at Meadowbank in 1970.