help finding the right wheelset

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
1982john

help finding the right wheelset

Post by 1982john »

I'm finding it very difficult to change the tyres/tube on my current wheelset. I believe this is because it's tubeless-ready (which I don't run).

I need them for 11-speed Shimano discs and thru-axles. I want ones that aren't tubeless-ready (and maybe have a reputation for being easy to change tyres though I've never had a big issue up till now)
To fit tyres 28-32mm
I'm not sure if there is anything else I need to specify? price wise looking for 200-300 max
Jdsk

Re: help finding the right wheelset

Post by Jdsk »

I'd start by emailing Spa Cycles with those technical details and a description of the bike and where and how you want to ride it, and seeing what they suggest.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m10b0s0p0/Wheels

NB waiting time.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Is the tape in your tubeless ready running from rim to rim?
If it is I’d try ripping it out and using a narrower tape. Could make all the difference you need.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
S2L

Post by S2L »

All "off the shelf" ready made wheelsets have rims with tubeless profile nowadays, so you'd have to go the "handbuilt route" and choose a rim which is not tubeless ready.
I like H Plus Son Archetype rims, which also look very good on a disc brake bike, as the brake track is anodised black and you don't see it's there. Old Mavic Open PRO (non tubeless version) in anodised grey are an option too.. might be hard to find them though.
Both rims are clincher friendly and it's quite easy to fit a tyre
slowster

Post by slowster »

I think that now most good quality rims intended for disc brake wheels are also designed to be tubeless compatible. I suspect that if you want a rim that is not tubeless compatible, you might be best served by a rim designed for rim brakes, e.g. maybe something like H Plus Son Archetype or TB14.

However, before buying new rims or wheels, I would first try two things:

1. If you have a standard rim tape fitted, e.g. like the Schwalbe polyurethane rim tape, I would replace it with tubeless rim tape. Standard rim tapes are thicker than tubeless tape, and are likely to make the tyre an even tighter fit. Supposedly the Schwalbe tubeless tape can be used in just a single layer.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m20b0s165p3 ... s-Rim-Tape

2. Tubeless rims have a shallow central well. I think it will often be essential that the tyre beads are repeatedly pushed into that well around the whole of the tyre during the process of fitting, in order to keep providing just enough slack to repeatedly prise the bead over the rim. A standard thickness ordinary rim tape will increase the effective diameter of that well compared with a thin tubeless tape.
Last edited by slowster on 9 May 2021, 8:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

Have you considered swapping tyres rather than wheels? If you find the right brand, it would save you a lot of money.
People often recommend Continental as easier to fit over TL rims. I run Vittoria Rubino Pro clinchers on TL rims and have no issues with fitting.
If you have considerate friends with different tyre brands, you could trial fit them on your rims to see if they’re easier to mount?
1982john

Post by 1982john »

audaxjk wrote: 9 May 2021, 5:52pm Have you considered swapping tyres rather than wheels? If you find the right brand, it would save you a lot of money.
People often recommend Continental as easier to fit over TL rims. I run Vittoria Rubino Pro clinchers on TL rims and have no issues with fitting.
If you have considerate friends with different tyre brands, you could trial fit them on your rims to see if they’re easier to mount?
this seems like a good shout to try before diving in with new wheels.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

1982john wrote: 9 May 2021, 6:29pm
audaxjk wrote: 9 May 2021, 5:52pm Have you considered swapping tyres rather than wheels? If
this seems like a good shout to try before diving in with new wheels.
I’ve never encountered a real problem but 4 out of 5 of my tyres are folders. I wonder are folders easier?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I agree folders are easier to put on than rigid tyres as well as being a tad more supple imho.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/

These guys do wheels too as well as many others.

Cheers James
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

Yeap, I forgot to add to my post, in agreement with other posters, I only use folding versions of Rubino Pros (and Vredesteins).
531colin

Post by 531colin »

slowster wrote: 9 May 2021, 5:03pm I think that now most good quality rims intended for disc brake wheels are also designed to be tubeless compatible. ...........
Its only about 3 years since I built myself a pair of disc wheels, but everything could have changed in the meanwhile......
I built Kinlin XD 230 rims https://spacycles.co.uk/m20b0s116p3788/KINLIN-XD-230
Nice enough rims, built up easily. Currently £30 each. 17.5mm internal. I'm running 32mm Schwalbe Supremes, which go on and off easily enough.
I also had a look at H plus son "Hydra" which is the disc brake equivalent of the Archetype. Tyres almost went on and off by themselves, but they are a bit pricey for me, and I had a pair of 36 hole hubs I wanted to use. https://spacycles.co.uk/m20b0s116p4557/H-PLUS-SON-Hydra
AH! I see the Hydra is now listed as tubeless compatible, so it may now be a different extrusion!

If you go somewhere they build wheels, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't take a tyre and see how easily it goes on the rim. It will be a bit slacker with no rim tape, but the novelty of fitting a tyre to an un-built rim more than compensates!
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Just an update I decided to go for some new tyres - those rubino folding - as it was the sort of all-round tyre I wanted. The back one was still tough to stick on the but the front went on easy. But certainly an improvement!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for the update.

Jonathan
531colin

Post by 531colin »

1982john wrote: 15 May 2021, 4:13pm Just an update I decided to go for some new tyres - those rubino folding - as it was the sort of all-round tyre I wanted. The back one was still tough to stick on the but the front went on easy. But certainly an improvement!
Did you try both tyres on both wheels, to find out whether it was the tyres or the wheels which varied?
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Nope. I did not want to go through all that again!