Longstaff Trike Braze-on Question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
colin54

Longstaff Trike Braze-on Question

Post by colin54 »

My friend has just bought a second-hand Longstaff trike, does anyone know what the unused braze-ons are on the rear end,
I wondered mudguards for some of them (?), but if so what's the odd one sticking out at an angle to the axle on the right hand side for ?
P1140369.JPG
There are seven with allen screws fitted on the rear of the bike and also a couple under the rack without screws, I guessed the rack ones might be for lights (?).
Click once or twice for a better view.
He let me ride it in his garden for a few yards, what an unnerving experience, a lovely looking machine tho' !
Nu-Fogey
9494arnold

Re: Longstaff Trike Braze-on Question

Post by 9494arnold »

If he cares to visit ' On three wheels , my fast forum' it's a dedicated upright trike Riders forum , someone there is bound to know chapter and verse.
All the Trike rear mudguards I have come across have a pretty substantial band that fits round the axle and clamps to it, with three pretty hefty stays attached (risking stating the Obvious here, unlike a bike, Trike mudguards are only supported on one side so stays have to be up to the task.)
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Thanks for your reply Arnold, my friend isn't on-line unfortunately, hence me asking question.
I'll have a look or ask on there perhaps.I had a look at some pictures in a google search and saw pictures of the sturdy mudguard stays you describe. Possibly the braze-ons at the top of the seat stays are to take a horizontal stay to stop the guards rotating ? I think I've seen pictures where a rack is bolted to those, but this bike as you can see has a brazed on rack.
It might be as easy for me to drop an email to Longstaff's with the picture. Thanks again, much appreciated.
Edit : looking closer at my pictures I see that the rack is actually bolted to the top and bottom seat stay braze-ons, it's done so tidily I thought it was brazed on from the picture.
Just the two on the axle and one at an angle on the right hand side to wonder about now.
Nu-Fogey
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

The three are indeed unusual. Of course, since such frames are custom built they may have unusual fittings/mountings that this particular customer has a use for. I might suggest that the axle mounted ones are for lights, and the angled one for a reflector. There are also light mounting points on the carrier - the mountings with no screws in them, but these were standard fitment.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Pump mount maybe, the one by the wheel? Soemthing bolted there like that?
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Thanks for the replies, I think reflector and/or light mounting points (if the rack wasn't fitted) seems like likeliest.
A pair of lights and a reflector would be logical.
I shouldn't start looking at pictures of second hand Longstaff trikes on ebay, I started looking at their bicycles too, could get expensive...Thanks again for all the replies.
Nu-Fogey