Project #2

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Hellhound

Project #2

Post by Hellhound »

I have recently reacquired 2 of my old bikes,an old 90s ATB and this:-

This is my old 2005 Focus Variado.It was the first road bike I bought as an adult 16 years ago when Focus bikes were only available from Wiggle.It was full Shimano 105,Allu frame with Carbon fork.I sold it to a mate about 10 years ago as his wife was looking to get into riding.Anyway she did and then didn't and he stripped the parts for various other things.Rather than skip the frameset he asked me if I wanted it so it's been in the shed for about a year or so.The plan was to build it as a Winter bike with 105.
I've actually dropped on a full Tiagra groupset and Claris wheels for £120 off another mate so plans have changed!I'll need to buy gear/brake inners/outers and bar-tape and that's about it 8)
Will be a decent and cheap Winter bike 8)
Last edited by Hellhound on 10 Sep 2021, 9:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamesh

Re: Project #2

Post by Jamesh »

Nice frame.

Oversized tubes will give a stiff ride best get some 28mm tyres if they fit?

Would have been a competitor to the caad frames.

Cheers James
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

There are Schwalbe Durano DD on the wheels but not sure what size.My mate is dropping the parts off this weekend.From the photos I've seen they look to be quite large.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Looks like an xsmall size. :wink:
I had one until I let it go a couple of years ago. I tried 28mm tyres in mine but they didn't fit, rubbed the brake bridge if I recall. I found it a bit of a stretch as well, needed a shorter stem. It's too good as a winter bike, build it up for a summer bike. :)
Here mine from an old thread.
$_79.jpg
$_79.jpg (17.37 KiB) Viewed 603 times
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

It is indeed an XS :D
The current stem is not the original but a Bontrager my mate put on.I've got a couple of Deda 80mm&100mm in the bits box so I'll be trying one of those.
I already have a nice Ti Summer bike hence the Focus being relegated to Winter status.It is a shame as the frameset is in excellent nick for a 2005 model 8)
My mate has just dropped off all the bits so I might have a tinker this weekend!
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Coming along nicely although I'm not that keen on everything being Silver.It was all silver original but with Black wheels.I'll make do though as it's only going to be a spare/winter bike.I also didn't realise that the Tiagra STis are the old 'Flight-deck' type with external routed gear cables.I hate the washing-line look so I'll be looking for some STis compatible with hidden routing.
So STis,a seatpost,cables and bartape and it will be good to go.It will still be a cheap Winter bike at (hopefully) sub-£200 8)

Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Looks great - love silver/chrome finishing. its hard to get the full set in decent spec now. silver, spacers stem, bars, clamp and setpost and that will be way too nice for wet roads!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hellhound wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 12:32pm Coming along nicely although I'm not that keen on everything being Silver.It was all silver original but with Black wheels.I'll make do though as it's only going to be a spare/winter bike.I also didn't realise that the Tiagra STis are the old 'Flight-deck' type with external routed gear cables.I hate the washing-line look so I'll be looking for some STis compatible with hidden routing.
So STis,a seatpost,cables and bartape and it will be good to go.It will still be a cheap Winter bike at (hopefully) sub-£200 8)

You'll need Sora or 105 shifters for old pull ratio under bar STI shifters.

105 can be finikety which is why they went to New pull ratio.

Cheers James
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I managed to find some Sora STis on Fleabay.Stupid money for second hand!
On a plus not I have a pair of both Tiagra and Ultegra 'Flight deck' STis to sell on and the way prices are I could recoup most of what I've had to spend on the entire bike 8)
mig

Post by mig »

mudguards?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

mig wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 1:03pmmudguards?
No.
There are no mudguard lugs and if there were I still wouldn't fit them.I know many swear by them but they're not for me.