New auto Scottoiler

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mark a.

New auto Scottoiler

Post by mark a. »

Scottoiler have launched a Kickstarter to get a bicycle auto lube system into the market.

£130 for the early bird pricing for the system. That's a lot (plus whatever the lube itself will cost). I'm sure the touted claims in efficiency and power are mostly nonsense in the real world, and who wants extra weight on their bike?

But, I'm sort of tempted. I'm a bit of a fan of their Ultimate Bike Solution spray, and the idea of a chain that barely needs cleaning is a nice ideal.
hondated

Re: New auto Scottoiler

Post by hondated »

Mmm I wonder if this could be adapted as its far cheaper.Mmm I wonder if this could be adapted as its far cheaper
http://www.tutorochainoiler.com/index.p ... cle-oilers
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

This seems to be a solution looking for a problem

it wont clean the chain, just adds oil. You can do that whenever you stop if you want to. They do have a value on motorbikes where the chain speeds are much faster, oil fling-off is greater, and replacement chain&sprocket costs will buy a bicycle
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the scottoiler fluid is a water-based solution. Until comparatively recently they had a product called the 'squid' system that lubed the chain in use using this approach. Apparently it worked quite well for some people, especially on MTBs.

The present generation of Scottoiler fluid allows dirt to be washed off with water very easily. Many MTBers really like it. However at present the fluid is only available in trigger sprays and bottles; there is no on the bike delivery system.

I would expect scottoiler to develop this product with or without kickstarter funding, but they get free publicity and guaranteed orders 'with', so what is not to like?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

I have one on my motorcycle and it's great, but on a pushbike ?meh!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

greyingbeard wrote:This seems to be a solution looking for a problem
+1
Mick F. Cornwall
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

it wont clean the chain, just adds oil.

Hmm, I'm not sure. Judging by the number of "what chain oil" threads there's certainly a desire for a method of having a perfect chain lubricant.

I like the Ultimate Bike Solution stuff because it's not sticky at all, so over the course of a ride the chain doesn't accumulate dust and grit. UBS does wash off easily with water which is great for bike cleaning but less so if it rains during the ride. I take a small bottle of UBS with me to top up the chain if needed. It looks like this new Scottoiler does that bit for me.

Normally "just adding oil" is counter-productive since it doesn't add lubrication and only adds extra sticky stuff for dirt to stick to. UBS (and presumably the new one) doesn't feel like that, since you're mostly adding water anyway.
georgew

Post by georgew »

it wont clean the chain, just adds oil. You can do that whenever you stop if you want to. They do have a value on motorbikes where the chain speeds are much faster, oil fling-off is greater, and replacement chain&sprocket costs will buy a bicycle

Having used the spray-on stuff for a few months I'm not so sure. All the oil has to be removed from the chain before one applies the stuff and it isn't oil-based.
It does keep the chain much cleaner that's for certain, and grit does not accumulate.

I like it and it's much less work than using oil.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

georgew wrote:I like it and it's much less work than using oil.
There are many chain lubes out there and they are all easy to clean off. Hardly any work at all.
If you use oil, grit will stick to your chain and you'll have a devil of a job cleaning it ............. hence this new invention.

It's aimed at riders who don't want to, or cannot, maintain their transmission system.
Watch the video. They deliberately show the most dirty, crud infested, mankiest chain they could find.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote:
georgew wrote:I like it and it's much less work than using oil.

They deliberately show the most dirty, crud infested, mankiest chain they could find.

That'll be an entirely normal, average, MTB chain then.... :wink:

Honestly, anything that helps keep the chain cleaner (even if it is a 'worse lubricant' per se) or just makes the chain easier to clean (I think it just needs a squirt with a cold water hose?) is a real bonus for MTBs. It may be similarly useful for wintertime roadies, too.

cheers
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Wouldn't a chain case and oil bath be better suited?

It strikes me that it's added weight in a competition environment, which is unlikely to be a material advantage...

I can see a bit of an advantage for an all weather commuter - anything to reduce the about of maintenance ignored ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC the squid system weighed under 200g (full), and if you didn't want it on the bike for a race, you could remove most of it in a few seconds.

Outside of competition having it on the bike is a no brainer if there are/you value the claimed benefits.

For commuting a chaincase and an IGH have a lot going for them.

cheers
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Wouldn't a chain case and oil bath be better suited?

For derailleurs?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mark a. wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Wouldn't a chain case and oil bath be better suited?

For derailleurs?

Exactly - there are better solutions for bashing around muddy hills than delicate dangly bits.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Exactly.
+1
Mick F. Cornwall