Question aimed specifically at male cyclists!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
yostumpy

Re: Question aimed specifically at male cyclists!

Postby yostumpy » 16 Sep 2015, 1:20pm

stewartpratt wrote:
bainbridge wrote:they become very tight between the shoulders and the groin, so next time I'll slip off the shoulder straps when they start hurting my nether regions

Or you could buy some in the right size…?

Ok then! 3 people buy XL bib shorts, but due to the differences in their body sizes, ie peron 1 is 5' 9" , person 2 is 6' 0", and person 3 is 6' 2". All 3 pairs are bought on line, and are the same make, from the same supplier.
question, how many of the above 3 will be happy and comfortable in their purchase. The problem is they are not adjustable in the strap length department, despite all being equal in girth.

stewartpratt

Postby stewartpratt » 16 Sep 2015, 4:16pm

yostumpy wrote:Ok then! 3 people buy XL bib shorts, but due to the differences in their body sizes, ie peron 1 is 5' 9" , person 2 is 6' 0", and person 3 is 6' 2". All 3 pairs are bought on line, and are the same make, from the same supplier.
question, how many of the above 3 will be happy and comfortable in their purchase. The problem is they are not adjustable in the strap length department, despite all being equal in girth.

Yes (and I'm myself a shape that clothing manufacturers often don't design for). But, IME, while you can get away just fine with a wide range of short sizes in terms of girth of thighs or waist, you really start to suffer if you've got something trying to pull your twig and berries up to your armpits. My point was that sometimes you can quite happily be well away from your usual waist short size before Jimmy and the twins get to relax.

Some do come with adjustable-length bib straps, though. Gore make some.

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 16 Sep 2015, 4:27pm

maybe this lot could be the answer to your problems
http://fatladattheback.com/mens/mens-cy ... rts-tights

should say I have never used them so cant vouch for quality but I do like there philosophy
NUKe

keyboardmonkey

Postby keyboardmonkey » 16 Sep 2015, 4:33pm

In the olden days I made do with my York tights and a pair of braces from a gentlemen's outfitters.

Fast forward thirty or so years and I have a pair of Endura FS260 Pro bib shorts. I'm 5' 8" and a whisker under 13 st.

So despite being short in stature I have these in the Large. The shorts are a little long in the leg but comfortable in the front of house area. However, I do find the rear of the seat pad to be a little over-familiar at times :o

My problem with my particular bib shorts is that the straps dig in at the tops. If I bought a pair of bib shorts that were any larger I would be able to tuck them in to my socks, so it appears that I am stuck with this problem - despite trying to stretch out the material at every opportunity.

andrewjoseph

Postby andrewjoseph » 16 Sep 2015, 4:41pm

yostumpy wrote:
stewartpratt wrote:
bainbridge wrote:they become very tight between the shoulders and the groin, so next time I'll slip off the shoulder straps when they start hurting my nether regions

Or you could buy some in the right size…?

Ok then! 3 people buy XL bib shorts, but due to the differences in their body sizes, ie peron 1 is 5' 9" , person 2 is 6' 0", and person 3 is 6' 2". All 3 pairs are bought on line, and are the same make, from the same supplier.

you send back the one that doesn't fit and try another size. or preferably, go to a local shop and try on several pairs, buy the one that fits and you are prepared to pay for.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.