Which Bike - BTwin Triban 500 or Cannondale Synapse Claris 8

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
GoldenSlate16

Which Bike - BTwin Triban 500 or Cannondale Synapse Claris 8

Post by GoldenSlate16 »

Hi,

Looking for some advice as I'm a relative novice in the road cycling world.

I'm looking to buy a road bike for commuting to work and also doing some casual rides at the weekend to replace my current bike - fathers 25+ year old Emelle Mountain Bike. From a recommendation from a friend I was put onto the Triban 500 at £300 which it seems represents excellent value and I was going to make a purchase. Then I received an email at work regarding the cycle to work scheme where by you purchase a bike through salary sacrifice thus saving on tax. Through this offer there are wide range of bikes the selected provider stock and the savings are also good in addition to the benefit of spreading payments over a year. I've spotted the Cannondale Synapse Claris 8 2015 through this provider which seems to be well reviewed online and is available for a total of £312 after tax deductions etc.

I'm therefore keen to get some advice over which bike to choose if anyone has any experience. Or alternatively (to complicate things!) any other options I should be considering.

Many Thanks,

GS16
gregoryoftours

Re: Which Bike - BTwin Triban 500 or Cannondale Synapse Clar

Post by gregoryoftours »

They both have their plusses and minusses, I'd probably go for the Cannondale myself. I have a Triban 3 red version from a few years ago which is very similar spec to the 500.

Triban 500:

Sora STI shifters and 9sp drivetrain with Sora triple chainset and brakes is really good at that price. 12-25 9sp cassette in combination with the triple will give you a decent bottom gear (fine for me around the Peak district) and fairly close spread.

You'll struggle to fit full mudguards with 25mm tyres, if you can at all. The fixing points are there but I only just managed to fit them with 23mm tyres, now I run 25 and have to use guards that don't pass under the brake calipers because clearance is too tight. Half of the benefit of mudguards in my opinion is stopping your calipers seizing up by protecting them from road splash.

The frame and fork are really decent in my opinion. Very nice to ride. Handling is very stable - 'neutral' it's called. Frame also has fixing points for pannier rack.

You might get lucky but I've seen a lot of bad wheels on these bikes - freehub failure within 6 months, numerous totally loosened spokes over time. Mine were ok but bearings were very tight from the factory and wouldn't have lasted long unadjusted.

Cannondale:

The 2x8 Shimano Claris components of the Cannondale are a step down in spec from Sora (although still fine) and the steps between gears are bigger being an 8sp 12-32 cassette. Although the bottom gear will be lower than that of the Triban, the gears will be a little more agricultural overall.

I think that the mudguard clearance will be better as the bike is specced with deep drop calipers. For me this would be a big deal, especially as it's to be a commuter bike.

Frame also has fixing points for full guards and pannier rack.

I don't know anything about the quality of the wheels on this bike.

Both bikes being at the cheaper end of things may not be set up that well. To flog them this cheaply they can't afford to spend too long on setup in the shop. Both really good value and both good buys in my opinion.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW I agree; I'd buy the cannondale. There are two compelling reasons

1) It has a decent mudguard clearance (do check but, unlike the Triban, IIRC 25mm tyres and mudguards can work) and

2) it will always be worth a bit more when you come to sell it.

Given those things I think I could learn to live with its shortcomings.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

I got a Cannondale Synapse Alloy. Will make a fast commuter - it takes full length mudguards. But it is too good to lock anywhere in public because it or parts of it will get nicked pronto.

The Synapse Alloy comes in versions with disc brakes. It would be a mistake not to get one with disc brakes.
I should coco.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Valbrona wrote: ...The Synapse Alloy comes in versions with disc brakes. It would be a mistake not to get one with disc brakes....

well, that is a matter of opinion.

However, what would definitely be a mistake would be to suppose that the OP could get one within budget.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I wouldnt buy a new bike for commuting -thats a graveyard for bikes? will soon get knocks and go rusty and prob get stolen since new and shiney? Most coomuting bikes I see locked up out side in London are rat bikes that probably ride ok
GrumpyDidcot

Post by GrumpyDidcot »

Decathlon are part of the Bike to work scheme - that's how I got mine a few weeks ago.
There is zero clearance for mudguards on the Triban 500 even with 23mm tyres - well if you can get hold of some REALLY thin and narrow Aluminium guards you might be ok.
The plastic ones I tried to transfer from my old bike wouldn't fit. I cut the rear one in half. Frame up to caliper, secure with tiewraps (holes in guard), a gap for the rear brake then the other half with tiewraps down to a mudguard stay. If that makes sense.
The front one isn't on yet, the front brake caliper is held on with an internally threaded bolt that fixes on to to a caliper stud. The bolt head is recessed into the fork. It's not as easy as finding a longer bolt to go through a mudguard bracket.
HTH.

My Triban 500 is a pleasure to ride. I set a PB on the way home last week - I've changed the slick tyres to something more suitable for winter.
The bike forgives my input.
GoldenSlate16

Post by GoldenSlate16 »

Thanks for all the replies!

Unfortunately my employers don't have an "open" cycle to work scheme but instead only work with a single supplier - cyclesolutions.co.uk.

Think I'll plumb for the cannondale as the convenience of easy to fit mud guards will be ideal, as will spreading payments rather than one off purchase.

Thanks All!

GS16