Replaceing the headset on a Dawes Galaxy.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
djsb

Replaceing the headset on a Dawes Galaxy.

Post by djsb »

Hi,
My Galaxy is fitted with a 1"dia x 24T headset (marked "Power (clenched fist) pro"). The stem diameter currently fitted 22mm and is a quill type with a socket bolt. Current bars are Netto Noodle drop bars. I'd like to fit a Humpert AHS handlebar so I thought this would be a good time to get a good quality headset fitted to the frame. I want something that is top quality and that will last. I obviously need something that will fit with the handlebars I intend to buy. I'd also like a stem with maximum adustability (maybe a Humbert as well-Not sure whats available yet). Can some one point me to a compatible headset so I can target my research more directly? Thanks.

P.S 1/ Tange Levin. Any good?
2/ Velo Orange Grand Cru 1"?
3/ What is stack height and how do I measure it?
beardy

Re: Replaceing the headset on a Dawes Galaxy.

Post by beardy »

I obviously need something that will fit with the handlebars I intend to buy.

No you dont. Between your headset and handlebars are both your steerer tube and stem.
It is only the top of the stem which decides which sort of bars will fit. So long as your headset is a 1" threaded (which it must be with your frame and forks) the choice of headset is nothing to do with your selection of handlebars.

Beware that 1" threaded headsets come in a choice of ISO and JIS and you have to get the right one for your frame and forks.
gaz

Post by gaz »

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you stem should be 22.2mm dia nominal. 22.0mm stems exist and are meant for French bikes, but will wobble like fury in a 22.2mm steerer no matter how much you tighten the bolt (until something breaks). So be sure to get the right one.

BTW if you run with mudguards you don't need a super-sealed headset (not unless you plan to leave the bike upside down in the rain...). The tange Levin is a great headset but it mightn't fit your bike; the stack height may be wrong and the crown race diameter may vary for example, and the only way to find out for sure which you need it to measure the old crown race.

What you may find is that if you simply fit loose balls in the old headset (to replace clipped ones), that the headset will work very well and last for years. So if you have it in bits anyway to measure the crown race, why not fit loose balls and see how it goes?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
djsb

Post by djsb »

Thanks everyone for your replies.
My stem is 22mm in diameter. There is no roughness at all and no movement of the forks. I might just strip it down and regrease it all. While its apart I may as well take some measurements while I'm at it (including the stack height as well). I do have mudguards so thats probably while everything is in good condition.
Will I have problems fitting an adjustable stem for the Humpert AHS?
I'll carry on watching youtube video's on headset replacement/maintenance and do some more research on different headsets.
Thanks again.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

djsb wrote: ...My stem is 22mm in diameter....

If so, not the right size in a dawes galaxy.

22.2mm (nominal, measuring ~22.15 actual) is the correct size.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~