Cone spanner sizes for FH-5700 rear hub?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Samuel D

Cone spanner sizes for FH-5700 rear hub?

Post by Samuel D »

I got my new Spa wheels today and attempted to measure the flats on the cones and lock nuts of the rear hub, in order to buy a pair of cone spanners for adjusting the bearing preload. Looks like they’re 14 mm and 15 mm (at least on the non-drive side). Is that correct?

The Dealer’s Manual for the FH-5700 would presumably have this information, but I wasn’t able to find it on Shimano’s tech-info site. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place!

Thanks.
Brucey

Re: Cone spanner sizes for FH-5700 rear hub?

Post by Brucey »

IIRC they are 15mm on most shimano 'road' rear hubs with recessed flats like the 5700. But really you should check for yourself. Might I suggest a set of vernier calipers? You can buy plastic ones that are good enough for this kind of thing.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rjb

Post by rjb »

Nothing standard about Shimano any more. Last pair of Shimano road wheels rendered my tacx cone spanners (double ended covered 13,14,15,16 mm ) obsolete as the cones were 17mm. :(
As Brucey says you need to measure them before investing in some tools. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I already have a high-quality Mitutoyo vernier calliper, but I use it for things that must be kept scrupulously clean. Guess I’ll have to use it on the hub.

Edit: measured. I guessed right! The flat on the cone is 15 mm, while the silver locking nut outboard is 14 mm. Presumably the drive side is the same?

Hopefully useful for some other Google searcher looking for cone spanners for a Shimano 105 FH-5700 freehub.
Ross K

Post by Ross K »

Samuel D wrote:
Hopefully useful for some other Google searcher looking for cone spanners for a Shimano 105 FH-5700 freehub.

Indeed, thank you!
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Excellent.

Since then, I have acquired a nice pair of 14 mm and 15 mm cone spanners by Park Tool. (Though I made the mistake of first buying the cheapest cone spanners I could find – they deformed on the first job. There must be good, cheap ones out there, but I didn’t get lucky.) The Park Tool ones fit the hub perfectly and are made of sterner stuff.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Samuel D wrote:....Since then, I have acquired a nice pair of 14 mm and 15 mm cone spanners by Park Tool. (Though I made the mistake of first buying the cheapest cone spanners I could find – they deformed on the first job. There must be good, cheap ones out there.....)

good cheap ones? Hah... :roll: -not so far!

I've used Sugino, Tacx, Campagnolo, Park Tool, and shimano cone spanners.

Any of these is good enough....but my favourite is campagnolo. In addition to the 13/14mm spanners still available, they used to do 15/16mm spanners to fit their Nuovo Tipo hubs and also 17mm ones to fit their triple bearing pedals.

The Park Tool design is OK but flawed IMHO; goodness knows why, but they have added a hole in the spanner too close to where the stresses are highest. In extremis this is where they break. In fairness they need a deal of abuse before this is likely to happen. When they fail they fail by brittle fracture.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Sold my Campag ones - dunna like double ended wrenches. Chucked out my Tacx because I dislike the chrome plating flaking off, but only cosmetic. Now using Park Tool.
I should coco.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have some "Elite" ones, quality is as good as any brand name spanner, silver satin finish.
Only ones I have every owned, abused but still good as new, must have bought them over 20 years ago.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.