Garmin Oregon 600t

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Rich_Clements

Garmin Oregon 600t

Post by Rich_Clements »

Was just having a browse of the Rose Bikes website and came across the Garmin Oregon 600t sat nav, anyone used one?

I'm just curious
Rich
skicat

Re: Garmin Oregon 600t

Post by skicat »

I have an Oregon 650 which is the same as a 600 but with a camera. I'm not sure what the 't' designates, possibly it means bundled Topo maps. I bought my 650 from Cotswold Outdoor (CTC 15% discount) along with the Garmin Ordnance Survey map product on an SD card. It's good enough to use for driving. For cycling I use OpenFietsmap cycle maps. There is plenty of memory in the 600/650 for a detailed cycle map of the entire UK. I don't use the 650 for routing (although it can do it). I prefer to plan routes in Basecamp then download them into the GPS. I have found that maps based on OpenStreetmap data (such as OpenFietsMap) can cause the 650 to crash or hang, which I put down to the Garmin software not being very resilient to bad/invalid map data.

There is a wealth of information here: http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
MockCyclist

Post by MockCyclist »

I have one. OS mapping is of limited use as it is only really viewable at one scale. I too use OpenFietsMap which as a vector map is much clearer and at any scale. The multiple map feature is really good, mostly I'm on OpenFietsMap but I can quickly change to OS to check a bridleway.

I use BikeRouteToaster to create a route but be aware that some OpenStreetMap names are incompatible with the Garmin. I think some road numbers are formatted with a leading "-" and they cause problems.

The software is a bit flaky compared to my previous GPS60 which never crashed in 7 years of use. I've had to remove and re-fit the batteries on my Oregon at least a dozen times since Christmas.
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

Thanks guys :)
Rich