Mudguards, narrow, good quality?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: Mudguards, narrow, good quality?

Post by reohn2 »

Crepello
Colour+fitting=neat :)
PS,I knew I could count on you for a proper job :wink:

MickF
You need Australian mudguards,those Germany one's'll be downside up :shock: :wink:

Re Colours;WHAAAT! are SKS(and crepello FTM) doing with my headworx!!!!!!!!!!
Colours=black with blue lines,Kuuuuhlll man.
It's simply not fair,mudguards were either silver or black,now,myriad colourisms :? :? :?

Capitalism,damn it! :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

It’s getting out of hand, I tell you. Next thing you know they’ll be making coloured tyres!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mick, might I suggest a countersunk screw + a flat washer of a specific size?

If the head is still too big, you can file it down (and recut the screwdriver slot to suit) so that it is only just large enough that it won't pass through (say, for an M5 screw) an M6 washer. The hole in the mudguard need only be 5mm dia, and if you do it right the head of the fastener will only protrude about 1mm or so, including the washer. This is by far the shallowest fastener head that you can use in this kind of fitting, much shallower than a button head.

BTW you can make a similar fastener starting with a csk allen headed screw, but (unless you can recut an allen key socket...) this has to be machined away on the underside of the head instead.

Also... as well as the LH clearance adjustment I described earlier, you can create more room for the RH arm too. You will have more clearance inside the caliper (vs the RH arm) for mudguards if it is opened as wide a possible. Have you tried moving some of the spacers on the brake blocks to the inside of the brake arms instead of the outside? Might that give you a little more clearance for the RH arm?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Samuel D wrote:It’s getting out of hand, I tell you. Next thing you know they’ll be making coloured tyres!

Oh,no! man that's a step wayyyyyy tooooo far.
Coloured tyres don't rock and won't roll on any bike o' mine,black IS beautiful,there isn't another colour for tyres :?

MickF is odd,downside up and waayyy off the scale........

PS,don't tell him

It's a travesty,I juussttt caaannn'tt,no,not,never,not no how.
The inside of my eyelids are black and so tyres should be!

I don't even like those poncy amber wall things,yuk!.... ...it's not right :?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Samuel D wrote:Likely by ordering in batches of a thousand units!

WHERE am I going to hide the surplus ones?

Wish I hadn't looked,but once seen you juusstt can't unlook it,this is waayy baaaad! :?

Where will all this decadence end,Hmm,tell me where,eh,where?

I'm going for a lie down,somewhere,where it's dark and BLACK! 8)

I can handle this,I'm sure I can.........
W H Auden
robc02

Post by robc02 »

FWIW I have found that it is often the 'fixed part' of the DP caliper ( the part that carries the pivot for the left arm on the front brake) is the part that fouls the mudguard. It is usually possible to alter the clearance by adjusting the centring screw, then repositioning the caliper and brake blocks to suit. However if it is the RH arm that fouls the mudguard, there isn't so much you can do about that.

Good tip - thanks!
I think it was the fixed part that was causing the worst of the fouling, but the round profile Bluemels 'guards are a good snug fit. My brakes are Shimano 105, but I think these 'guards would also work better with Mick's Campag brakes than the square profile ones.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I think I'm going to go for silver Bluemels in 35mm.
The idea of metal mudguards has lost it's appeal.

Off into Plymouth by train today with Mrs Mick F. A bit of shopping plus a nice lunch and a bottle (or two) of wine. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:I think I'm going to go for silver Bluemels in 35mm.

Off into Plymouth by train today with Mrs Mick F. A bit of shopping plus a nice lunch and a bottle (or two) of wine. :D

The choice is yours of course but why not the Longboards?
They're the same profile but longer offering more protection,I've found they're a big improvement on the ordinary Bluemels
W H Auden
jackg

Post by jackg »

reohn2 wrote:

They're the same profile but longer offering more protection,I've found they're a big improvement on the ordinary Bluemels

reohn: Can you do me a favour by measuring the distance on the front mudguard from the front to the caliper bracket.

I have a pair of mudguards but the front one does not restrain the spray so I get spray coming back onto the headtube.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

reohn2 wrote:Crepello
Colour+fitting=neat :)
PS,I knew I could count on you for a proper job :wink:

Ta muchly :) Well, it was 2nd time around to get it right. You may recall that I made my own version of the Longboard (like yourself, IIRC) out of two sets of Stronglight E type mudguard sets, using a 2nd rear guard, modified, at the front, with SKS mudflaps.

This was not intended :evil: Thanks to Ribble, they were advertising these guards as the S type, which has the stainless fittings like the SKS range. £10 a set for the S Type would be a bargain. But not only did I get the E type by mistake, they are a Mk2 version, which it turns out is much inferior to the Mk1 version, which I've used a number of times over the last 5 years.

The main drawback is that instead of moulded locating pips in the chromoplastic, for the stay clamps, Stronglight in their wisdom have revamped the stay clamp so that it locates in a slot (6-8mm?), which is cut out of the chromoplastic. This is a stressor, so consequently I experienced exactly the same failure as Nuke did with his Longboards.

I'm not sure this would have happened with the Mk1 clamp design - I doubt those moulded locating pips would be stress raisers. In addition the clamp screws have less plastic to bite into than on the Mk1 version, so threads are prone to stripping :roll:

So, be warned, anyone who sees Stronglight E type MG's for sale - they may be the crap Mk2 version...
eg, the Planet X selection here shows them with the Mk1 stay clamps.
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FSSLEMG700 ... c-mudguard

So fingers crossed, I've identified the weakness in the Longboard stay bridge and won't have imminent failure.

BTW, I know that you and others dislike the silver chromoplastic for it's ready ability to corrode. I hope I've negated this by painting silver Hammerite on all the cut/exposed edges. I think that this paint effectively etches onto the plastic, providing a sound bond. Painting the underside of the guards should also make a reasonable barrier around the rivet holes - the other entry point for corrosive moisture. We'll see :)
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

jackg wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

reohn: Can you do me a favour by measuring the distance on the front mudguard from the front to the caliper bracket.

I have a pair of mudguards but the front one does not restrain the spray so I get spray coming back onto the headtube.
You'd probably be interested in R2's excellent home-brewed Longboards, as shown here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79714
Rather better than mine :oops: ...
jackg

Post by jackg »

Thanks, the picture is not there so I have to read the text and deduce...?
I assume he overlays a section of rear on the front mudguard, and secures it in place with the light?
I had thought of a similar idea but using the caliper bracket as the securing point, and possibly over laying further back or even using a rear mudguard and cutting it to size?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jackg wrote:reohn: Can you do me a favour by measuring the distance on the front mudguard from the front to the caliper bracket.

Longboards measure 210mm from the front of the fork steerer forward.
SKS Bluemels measure 150mm.
Not huge difference but it does matter IME.
If you want to really kill it you need two rear m/guards and fit a rear to the front one like the one I had on my Kona Dew Drop(now sold on) :-

W H Auden
jackg

Post by jackg »

Thank you kind sir.
I think another rear mudguard is the best thing to buy.
Front stay on that bike as well, very nice job.
Mine is 200mm from the caliper bracket mount.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

reohn2 wrote:

Yeahbut that'd mean Mick wouldn't need to clean his chain as often :shock: