Long distance and touring GPS help (purchase)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick Metcalfe

Long distance and touring GPS help (purchase)

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

May I please ask for a bit of assistance from anyone in the know about bike GPS.

Thinking of 3 models atm.
Garmin touring plus. Completely mixed reviews ranging from awesomeballs to completely useless and not accurate and taking a very long time to sync, if it works at all.
Garmin Edge 1000. Looks a good piece of kit, but seems the most expensive too. A lot of redundancy for my needs tbh as the performance related stuff will be as much use as tits on a fish.
Garmin Edge Explorer 1000, which is newly released and maybe to readdress the touring plus issues? 15hr battery too, so could prove useful.

The main reason for this purchase is to find my way to new locations, provide variety in my routes and increase the distance of my routes. Also, with winter coming maps can be a bit messy, and mount up in price when replaced or new ones needed.

Any thoughts welcome, including other models that may prove more useful and that I have overlooked. :)

Mick
bryce

Re: Long distance and touring GPS help (purchase)

Post by bryce »

Garmin eTrex 20 or 30 are nice. They have a long battery life and use AA batteries. They're mainly aimed at walkers but have a bike mount. The eTrex is cheaper, with a longer battery life, and a smaller screen. There's other AA battery Garmins with bigger touch screens.

The free open street map based maps work well, and are available to route for cycling.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Garmin touring began as a purchase I regretted and actually considered taking back to the shop, but now having worked it all out I wouldn't be without it.

It's great for long rides, battery lasts a good 12hrs once you've tweaked the settings, it's small and light too.

It needs to have routes planned on a seperate machine, I use a pc when at home and a smartphone when touring, then it's a case of converting the file and copying it to the on board Garmin sd card.

Ive been experimenting with different displays and like the way you can choose the layout off the data. I have: Speed in mph in a large pane at the top, then heading beneath, then the ETA, and finally the time of day at the bottom.

All the other screens I disable such as the big compass, elevation data etc. With this set up i simply follow the route and a side swipe flicks the screen to my dashboard containing ride data, another swipe flicks it back to the route.

I have the sound off and brightness set as low as conditions allow to get the most of the battery. I also found turning the thing completely off when stopping lunch doesn't clear the data, when you switch it back on you can simply resume your ride. Using this feature will extend the battery further but I just leave it switched on and autopaused when stopping.

A great little piece of touring kit!
jacksonz

Post by jacksonz »

I've used an Etrex 20 for many months of touring. I use Open Street Maps and GPX track files sourced from the internet. I find that Archiescamping's POI work well on the Etrex. The Etrex is relatively cheap and runs well off a dynamo hub or Nickle Metal Hydride batteries. The batteries last a long time, maybe 24 hrs. The Etrex coupled with an Android phone running a 6 inch screen I find to be a great combination. I especially like Osmand (on the phone) for navigating and POI. I couldn't see any reason to buy a more expensive Garmin.
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

I don't think I know anyone who uses a rechargable GPS device on long distance tours (though plenty surely do). An extra cable to break, and you always have to find a charging source (even with a dynamo you can get caught out at night). AA powered Etrex or a variant is relatively simple, and has no charging headaches.

If I were going to use a rechargeable device (off a dynamo hub), I'd use a smartphone rather than a Garmin GPS. Much more versatile (email, web, etc), larger screen, it's not Garmin so routes properly. You can pick up cheap (compared to Garmin) secondhand smartphones online, and good waterproof bike mounts. I used a Samsung Galaxy 4 for a while as a GPS device, with a spare battery (swappable, unlike Apple devices). Run in flight mode but with the GPS on they have a good battery life.

I tried an Edge but it is not as easy to live with as my Etrex for long distance, so I'm back with the Etrex.

cheers
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

I have just been through the GPS buying procedure and settled on an Edge Touring. Initially I wanted only AA batteries and wouldn't consider a rechargeable, but I considered it's uses, 99.9% on bike, and decided that I can recharge from the dynamo if I need it. Once connected, it is always going to be fully charged and if I'm riding at night and the lights take all the power, the GPS internal battery will take me through to daylight. I did consider using a smartphone, but having a smartphone on the handlebars where it can be damaged is a bigger risk than I'm prepared to accept. If it gets damaged, you not only lose your GPS, but also your phone. Your perception of that risk may be different.

All the problems I've had with syncing have been with the Garmin software not doing it's stuff and failing to recognise the GPS. However, now that it has been used a few times, it syncs data immediately. Overall, I'm very pleased with it and it has transformed by day trips.
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

have used 705 for touring, 800 for touring including end to end, now got 1000 and haven't used it for touring yet but would work the same as the others.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
PH

Post by PH »

FarOeuf wrote:I don't think I know anyone who uses a rechargable GPS device on long distance tours (though plenty surely do). An extra cable to break, and you always have to find a charging source (even with a dynamo you can get caught out at night). AA powered Etrex or a variant is relatively simple, and has no charging headaches.

I went for an Etrex a few years ago and the battery issue was one of the main factors in that choice.
But battery tech has moved on over the last few years and it's no longer such an advantage. The USB battery packs hold enough charge for most tours I'm likely to do wven without dynamo charging. That's not to say I wouldn't choose the Etrex again, I've had no problems with it, but I'd also consider the rechargables.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

just to muddy the waters there is also a edge 1000 touring, which has a bigger screen in colour. Unfortunately costs more to, but I think the resolution is much better than the 810 or the edge touring standard
robgul

Post by robgul »

Another vote for the Edge Touring - brilliant - and even better with the OS 1-50,000 SD card (Go Outdoors are/were offering a stonking combo deal)

... just don't let Mr Garmin try and give you routes - it's hopeless - plan your own on PC software or an online service and load up the .gpx file (and turn off the "recalculate route" option when riding.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
lingy

Post by lingy »

Yup and another vote for the Edge Touring ... Once you get the hang of all the options and settings it's great.
Mick Metcalfe

Post by Mick Metcalfe »

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Wasnt expecting quite so much as this, so cheers.

With regards to the Edge Touring, is that the Edge Explorer that you are referring to? Or is this an older model? If the Edge tourer is an older model, do you reckon that it could be a wise investment to get the newer one? As I can only asume the good elements of a old unit get past onto the new version and the naff stuff gets binned and redone to correct any issues.

Thanks. :)
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

This is the one :https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/sports-recreation/cycling/edge-touring/prod134596.html
akc1

Post by akc1 »

bryce wrote:Garmin eTrex 20 or 30 are nice. They have a long battery life and use AA batteries. They're mainly aimed at walkers but have a bike mount. The eTrex is cheaper, with a longer battery life, and a smaller screen. There's other AA battery Garmins with bigger touch screens.

The free open street map based maps work well, and are available to route for cycling.

I had an eTrex with a bike mount - because I like the idea of A A batteries. In the end I replaced it with 810 because the jolting on the bike disconnected the batteries and blacked out the screen. The eTrex is great hand - held but useless on a bike.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Easily cured by a tiny strip of thick tape inside the battery case.