power torque chainset removal

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
willcee

power torque chainset removal

Postby willcee » 20 Oct 2015, 9:48pm

Couple of years ago i got myself an evo pro carbon Ribble just a month old from a newbie ex surfer dude whose wife had laid down an ultimatum , and very reasonably priced indeed... I liked it a lot and found it very nice to cycle on, full carbon centaur 10sp with an alloy powertorque compact chainset.. I have had ultra torque without issue and started to read up about this new type set , with a pressed on left crank which required a puller kit at approx 100 quid, I haven't had any issue with my BB BRGS ,indeed its still on same chain, as its summer fine weather machinery.. a conversation with a friend who has been successfully air brushing bicycles of his own and club mates prompted me to prevail on him to refinish my all black naked lacquered carbon , so i set about dismantling my machine. I had bought the 14mm!!! allen tool which slackens the plug nut holding the left crank on and borrowed a small 2 arm puller from a friend who's a car guy, and screwed the alloy nut in again about 5 threads using a bolt head to cover the 14mm allen aperture, I fitted the puller and it pulled out until stopped by the head of the plug nut, took everything off and reached for my rubber hammer and off she came. so guys, its no big job and mine hasn't been off since Ribble built it also i'm not a penny poorer.. many may remark on the use of a partially screwed in alloy nut to hold the centre bar of the puller ..my thinking was that if Campagnolo thought it strong enough to pull the crank on i reckoned it would hold.. will