Question about 11 speed sets

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
andy661166

Question about 11 speed sets

Post by andy661166 »

Hi,

A while bakck I got some shimano r501 wheels to upgrade my btwin triban 3.

The wheels have definitely made a difference but I am now looking to upgrade my group set to either shimano 105 or ultegra (more likely 105) 11 speed.

I am just wondering if I can use these wheels? I have seen people who claim that they have, but I don't know if they have upgraded their hub? If I can't use these wheels what wheels would be my best set to be 11 speed and or par or better than the 501s?

Cheers
mattsccm

Re: Question about 11 speed sets

Post by mattsccm »

11 speed cassettes are wider. 10 speed freehubs don't work.
No idea if you can get an 11 speed freehub that will fit a 10 speed Shimano hub. Knowing them its likely that you can't. That's a new hub then.
There are bodges that let you use 11 speed shifters and mechs.
1 is to remove a single sprocket from the cassette. This way the spacings stay the same. It may be a middle sprocket which might leave an unacceptable gap or it might be the 11t. That needs more specific investigation.
Doing this means that you have the latest kit and when its a new wheel time you can just buy an 1 speed hubbed wheel.
Or you could buy an XTR 11 speed cassette which is built differently and does I believe fit 10 speed hubs. Cheaper to buy new wheels though!
andy661166

Post by andy661166 »

Haha well it sounds like new wheels is probably the better and easier option. Any opinions on the best wheels for value for 11 speed sets?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if I was looking to upgrade a triban 3, I'm not at all sure I'd go for an 11s groupset, especially not if it meant buying new wheels too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

If i was looking to upgrade the Triban i'd be looking at a different bike as it'll be more economic in the long run.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
andy661166

Post by andy661166 »

For a beginner or first bike I would say the triban is grand, but if you are really into your cycling I would spend a bit more cash on a better setup.

I bought mine 2 years ago unsure if I would get into cycling, now that I am I am upgrading in stages. I don't have the money to spend on a new bike so I am planning to just upgrade when and what I can. When it comes to a new bike I may carry parts across if they are better.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

105 groupset can be had for less than £300 and a set of 11 speed compatible wheels for about £100, so certainly cheaper as105 equipped bikes wont be cheaper than about £800.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
andy661166

Post by andy661166 »

Not sure if I want to get decent wheels that could be carried over to a new bike anyway.

The 105 is just under 300 so that's grand. And if I sell my current r501 wheels I can get a new set for very little. Just wondering if I should just go for carbon wheels now (or very high spec wheels anyway)
hamster

Post by hamster »

I bet you cannot tell the difference between groupsets when riding in the dark. :wink:

I would put my money into a lighter frame first.
andy661166

Post by andy661166 »

Lol. Well currently my set is a triple crank and 8 speed cassette on the rear. I just find it doesn't suit my style of cycling and feel I am constantly changing between 2 gears as I can't find a balance. So I am pretty keen on fixing that as soon as. I'm not looking speed, I just want to be able to cycle more hassle free
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

andy661166 wrote:...my set is a triple crank and 8 speed cassette on the rear. I just find it doesn't suit my style of cycling and feel I am constantly changing between 2 gears as I can't find a balance... I just want to be able to cycle more hassle free

If you are struggling to find a happy medium on a bike with a triple chainset I would be surprised if you found it on, say, a bike with a 50/34 compact set up. I'm afraid I speak from experience.

Anyway, I agree with what others have said. I don't know where in the world you are, but round my neck of the woods the weather is about to get worse before it gets better for the next few months and the Triban seems an ideal bike for riding through the autumn and winter muck. I would seriously consider stashing away the £300 or so that is burning a hole in your pocket and save up for a new bike in the spring. If you find a bike shop that offers an interest free deal you could perhaps pay so much as a down payment and pay the rest over a year or six months.

If you do want some jazzy wheels that are 11spd (and backward compatible for 8/9/10spd) you might consider a Shimano Ultegra 6800 wheelset, assuming you're not upward of 100kgs. (I have these on a bike I bought a few years back and gradually upgraded. In my case I had a decent frame that I felt was worth the relative expense of upgrading as I went along. That is key, I think.) If you catch the 6800 wheelset online at the right time they can be had for not much more than £200.
andy661166

Post by andy661166 »

Thanks for your input. I hadn't really thought about the winter months just yet but I guess you are right. I may just bear with the setup now and try and gather some cash for a new bike then!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

use the triban to replace car or bus journeys put some money in your new bike pot you'll soon have enough for a new bike. If you want to improve the triban though by far the most cost effective are 1.Good quality wheels 2. good tyres and a comfortable saddle
NUKe

Post by wirral_cyclist »

andy661166 wrote:Lol. Well currently my set is a triple crank and 8 speed cassette on the rear. I just find it doesn't suit my style of cycling and feel I am constantly changing between 2 gears as I can't find a balance. So I am pretty keen on fixing that as soon as. I'm not looking speed, I just want to be able to cycle more hassle free

Which two gears? Just buy an 8 speed cassette that has an in-between gear or two, or if the two gears are on different chainwheels then what is the tooth count for each end, again a change of cassette may put your ideal in-between gears all on one chainring?
andy661166

Post by andy661166 »

It's like 4/5 or so from my top gear. And yeah I may try that, but will I need to change the chain then? Or should I be ok? I would probably bump the overall number of teeth up