Do I need to buy this giant defy?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Do I need to buy this giant defy?

Post by Brucey »

fast but dim wrote:The main point of my point is that, for me, compact chainsets didn't really work until 11 sp. I've ridden 9 sp triple ( excellent) 9 and 10sp double ( good, but limited for climbing) 9 and 10 speed compact ( never seemed to be able to link gears)....

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that or why you didn't get on so well with 2x10s. If (say) you chose to use 9 sprockets from 10s the extra angle in the chain is about 1/8th of a degree on the extreme gears when compared with 9 sprockets from an 11s system, and you could have very similar gear ratios for the most part, just with a different sized double shift I guess.

If there are significant benefits to a new groupset they perhaps do lie in the other things such as brake quality (New super SLR ought to be that bit better) and adjustments etc. as well as obvious stuff like 'it is all new and isn't worn out yet'. But then I'm quite happy using most shimano systems built in the last 30 years tbh; when they are set up right and in good nick they all work pretty well, and when they are old and knackered.... they don't.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
willcee

Post by willcee »

Giants,very popular over here... great on smooth roads, very stiff and unwieldy comfort wise on anything else ime, they seem totally focused on having a front steerer and fork that there's no give at all in the front end therefore much of the buzz and NVH goes right up your arms into the shoulders and neck.. on this years and last i think i'm correct in saying that they have a fork with a 35mm steerer on their lightweight TCR models so any stem change is Giant supply only..I owned 2, a Defy and TCR middle of 2014 and moved them out of my collection pronto.. lightweight yes, reasonable specs, decent colours good paint, bad cabling, poor wheels esp the freehubs on defy range 5 0r 6 different f'hubs with few spares available.. so take your time and as Bruce says it may be a holiday romance.. will
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Nobody has yet mentioned N + 1 (the optimal number of bikes is one more than you currently have).

Of course you need it. :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Is it made of steel?"if not wash your mouth out with soap and join another forum.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Dave W wrote:Is it made of steel?"if not wash your mouth out with soap and join another forum.

tsk tsk. There are few luddites about, but we aren't as bad as all that!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

:D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

actually my personal views on that bike are not far different from WIllcee's. I've had to rebuild the freehubs on many lower end Giant models; they are not terrible quality per se (about like shimano ones used to be I suppose) but they are usually not well adjusted or lubricated from new, and far from immune to water ingress.

The ride quality on these machines is poor and I have also seen quite a few of the frames break in hard use (in the bottom of the head tube where the down tube connects). Mudguard clearance is poor (rather than absolutely non-existent). On some models they use aluminium screws into aluminium bosses in places where the crud will get sprayed which is asking for trouble. If you only ever ride on smooth dry roads and you don't wring the frame's neck you'll be fine I guess... hence the 'holiday romance' comment.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

willcee wrote:Giants,very popular over here... great on smooth roads, very stiff and unwieldy comfort wise on anything else ime, they seem totally focused on having a front steerer and fork that there's no give at all in the front end therefore much of the buzz and NVH goes right up your arms into the shoulders and neck.. on this years and last i think i'm correct in saying that they have a fork with a 35mm steerer on their lightweight TCR models so any stem change is Giant supply only..I owned 2, a Defy and TCR middle of 2014 and moved them out of my collection pronto.. lightweight yes, reasonable specs, decent colours good paint, bad cabling, poor wheels esp the freehubs on defy range 5 0r 6 different f'hubs with few spares available.. so take your time and as Bruce says it may be a holiday romance.. will

I agree these bikes have a very stiff ride which is great if speed is your only concern, but not so great if you plan on adding a rack and luggage.

One thing that annoys me about giant bikes is that they use every bit of available space on the frame to plaster giant transfers. The newer ones appear to have toned this down a bit thankfully.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Generally, you'll get what you pay for. Giant bikes are no worse than the next brand, in fact they normally manage to turn out pretty good value for money bikes. Their top end bikes are great. I loved my Carbon TCR and commuted on it for years with no problems. The Defy range seems to get very good reviews.
jawaka

Post by jawaka »

Well I got the Giant Defy 4, the next model up on the basis that if I was comfortable on a bike for a 3 1/2 hour ride then that is a good test of what will suit. You can't tella lot from ten minutes down the road on a ususal test ride

It is 2015 model so the price was reduced to an irresistible level. I'm not going to be using it this year now, but the nice thing is that I have something to look forward to all through winter.

Winstanley bikes gave me great service: fast delivery, everything securely packed and a check list of completed work before delivery. Unlike the last bike I bought in a box , this had everyhting adjusted and after putting it together I went straight out for a quick test with everything working. Well done
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Eh? A new bike and you're not riding it for ages? Did you even ask for those mudguards?

Anyway, congrats on getting your new bike :-)
TrevA

Do I need to buy this giant defy?

Post by TrevA »

I was discussing with a clubmate on yesterday's ride. We were the only 2 on steel bikes out of 14 on the ride. We are quite proud to be "Men of Steel" but we are both getting on and starting to struggle against some of the other riders. Are we handicapping ourselves by riding steel bikes? Another friend has just gone from a Ribble Winter Alu to a Ribble 365 carbon winter bike, because he needs all the help he can get. He's 68 with atrial fibrulation. I'm 56 and the other "steeler" is 64.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Do you need to buy this bike - out of necessity then almost certainly the answer is no. Can you presently exploit the full potential of the bikes you already have through fitness and the availability of time? Will this change with a new bike? Will it take you further - faster or will you just fell better until you see the next one you desire? That surely is the question to address in terms of need - Do you want to buy this bike - for reasons of desire - almost certainly. As a previous poster put it the old N+1 question.

There is a big difference between need and want - work out what that is before you part with your money. Only then can you be happy with your decision.
syklist

Post by syklist »

Samuel D wrote:I would possibly call the change from single-speed to 2-speed a “massive” help.

Personally I found that going from 21 gears to 14 was a massive help. The most helpful change, besides losing a gear changer was being able to change gears when the bike was standing still ;)
So long and thanks for all the fish...
Graham

Post by Graham »

jawaka wrote:Well I got the Giant Defy 4, . . . . . . .

Congratulations. The post-decision rationisation effect is usually a great boost to motivation.

Now you have made the effort you ARE going to enjoy it ! :wink: