TRP cable actuated hydraulic brakes, thoughts?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Zimba

TRP cable actuated hydraulic brakes, thoughts?

Post by Zimba »

These beauties are getting rave revues as the best solution for Road bike use, lightweight, sturdy, self centering and self adjuating they seem to be the answer to pug ugly hydro brake levers.
Valbrona

Re: TRP cable actuated hydraulic brakes, thoughts?

Post by Valbrona »

I should coco.
wfbroddy

Post by wfbroddy »

I have them on my Genesis Croix de Fer and they are very good, used with Shimano Tiara drop levers maybe a bit heavier than cable operated only disc brakes IE Avid BB7 but not by much.
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

Curious as to the benefit of cable actuated hydraulics over a full hydraulic system.. I have cable disks but hydraulics are generally accepted as 'better'.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mattyfez wrote:Curious as to the benefit of cable actuated hydraulics over a full hydraulic system.. I have cable disks but hydraulics are generally accepted as 'better'.

So one finger lock up capability isn't good enough for you then :wink:
Discs are the bright new shiny thing in racing (or trying to be) so self centring and adjustment has to be available for quick wheel changes on the road only hydros offer that feature,so other than that I can't see the need for us normal people,however the want is another thing entirely :wink: .
BTW how much do they cost?
EDIT:-Just checked,the cheapest(Juin tech) are £150, £50+ more than a pair of BB7 road,which I s'pose isn't too bad for a new product.
The TRP ones are double that though :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Zimba wrote:These beauties are getting rave revues as the best solution for Road bike use, lightweight, sturdy, self centering and self adjuating they seem to be the answer to pug ugly hydro brake levers.

You saying those Heath-Robinsonesque (Rube Goldbergesque for USAians) clunky compromised beasties that awkwardly mangle mech to gloop are better looking than a pair of hydro levers (albeit hydrocephalic in STI form)?

In the past I argued, or at least suggested, that the parabox style converter (under the stem type) was less offensive/more logical, but think I may've been out-brained by the more clever. Doesn't stop me being opinionated though. :wink:

As for cost... I really really want some Paul Klampers, but at almost £300 for a set of (mech) brakes, I'd have to be drunk-clicking. Still, Paul's prices are not quite as bonkers as Moulton prices.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Mattyfez wrote:Curious as to the benefit of cable actuated hydraulics over a full hydraulic system.. I have cable disks but hydraulics are generally accepted as 'better'.

the biggest benefit is not having to use dedicated levers/shifters with all the expense that brings. Of course not having yards of hydraulic hose is a weight saver and lets face it, we all like something we can play with!

TRP's are hardly twice the price of them other things either, you can get them for @ £100 a wheel or less if shop around.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mrjemm wrote:......As for cost... I really really want some Paul Klampers, but at almost £300 for a set of (mech) brakes, I'd have to be drunk-clicking. Still, Paul's prices are not quite as bonkers as Moulton prices.

If I was drunk-clicking I be so well gone as not to be able to recognise a 'pooter as a technical advancement let a lone to click at all for me to buy anything Paul or Moulton like :mrgreen:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

foxyrider wrote:..........lets face it, we all like something we can play with!.........

Spoken like a true man :shock: :mrgreen:
W H Auden
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

I wonder about the ability to take the heat from braking as all the brake fluid is at the caliper, and the fluid capacity is minimal. Compare to a full hydraulic system which has the reservoir at the lever and a long hose.
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

MikeDee wrote:I wonder about the ability to take the heat from braking as all the brake fluid is at the caliper, and the fluid capacity is minimal. Compare to a full hydraulic system which has the reservoir at the lever and a long hose.

Thats a very good point, something I hadn't thought of
Rich
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

MikeDee wrote:I wonder about the ability to take the heat from braking as all the brake fluid is at the caliper, and the fluid capacity is minimal. Compare to a full hydraulic system which has the reservoir at the lever and a long hose.

There is actually less heat transfer on the TRP's due to the material used but of course boiling fluid is a problem on full hydraulic systems! I will soon be fitting a better disc in a bigger size to lessen the heat issues, i can get fade on long steep drops without effort in these parts!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Rich_Clements wrote:

Thats a very good point, something I hadn't thought of

I'm not sure it would make any difference or may even favour the reservoir on the calliper as there'd be more oil locally which could absorb the heat.
W H Auden
Zimba

Post by Zimba »

The mechanism has self cooling fins apparently. You can buy them for £75 per wheel, rotor and brake direct from Taiwan on ebay. They've pretty much set the bar for Shimano and everyone else to follow, for road bike hydraulics.