Tandem tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
neilob

Tandem tyres

Postby neilob » 3 Nov 2015, 9:43am

I normally ride with 32mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on my tandem which certainly seem as robust and puncture proof as any tyre I have ever ridden. But a bit like riding through treacle compared to my normal road bike with 25mm slicks (not surprisingly!) . I am taking the tandem and my stoker to Majorca in April for 10 days 'training' camp and have been looking for slicker road tyres in 32mm width so we can keep up with the rest of the gang. Any recommendations? Durability remains important even if just for safety and convenience but I was hoping to find a good compromise that also rolled well.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.

reohn2

Re: Tandem tyres

Postby reohn2 » 3 Nov 2015, 2:51pm

Panaracer Ribmo are bombproof aren't heavy and roll well.
Conti Gatorskins are more flimsy for tandem use but ride well on tandems.
Vittoria Randonneur Pro(no the ordinary Randonneur which is a different animal altogether) is also a superior tyre
I've only ridden Vittoria Voyager Hypers solo so can't say how durable they are for tandem use.
But they're no more flimsy than Gatorskins and have a better,more supple 120tpi carcass(read faster better puncture protection),which is the same as the Rando Pro tyre but with less tread,3mm(same as Gators) on the central section opposed to 4.5mm on the Rando Pro.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dynamite_funk

Postby Dynamite_funk » 3 Nov 2015, 3:51pm

reohn2 wrote:Panaracer Ribmo are bombproof aren't heavy and roll well.

We got some RiBMo on ours after reohn2's recommendation. Can't fault them at all :D

pwa

Postby pwa » 3 Nov 2015, 4:10pm

I'd try Marathon Supremes with their smoothish tread. A performance touring tyre. The tread is a good depth in the centre and tapers away to finish part way down the supple sidewall. More rugged than Gatorskins, but still light and fast. I've not tried them on a tandem but I know others have.

boblo

Postby boblo » 3 Nov 2015, 4:19pm

I've always run 32c Pasela's until the current set, I'm now trying Marathon Supreme's. They're marginally lighter and the sidewalls potentially a little more robust though this hasn't been an issue for us with Pasela's. Just fancied a change. Pasela's are a bit cheaper mind if that's a factor for you.

pwa

Postby pwa » 3 Nov 2015, 4:33pm

boblo wrote:I've always run 32c Pasela's until the current set, I'm now trying Marathon Supreme's. They're marginally lighter and the sidewalls potentially a little more robust though this hasn't been an issue for us with Pasela's. Just fancied a change. Pasela's are a bit cheaper mind if that's a factor for you.

Yes, Paselas are nice and light.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 3 Nov 2015, 5:18pm

schwalbe tyres come with a load rating that you can find in their catalogue. With panaracers you need to contact them directly and ask them if a given model is strong enough for a given use; they publish no load ratings but will respond to direct enquiries of that sort.

If the roads you will be using are nice and smooth you might be able to go down to a 28mm tyre which may be a bit faster, and may allow slightly higher tyre pressures to be used too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~