The Genesis Vagabond is nice...

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2
Posts: 36282
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

The Genesis Vagabond is nice...

Postby reohn2 » 19 Nov 2015, 5:12pm

New Genesis Vagabond(Fargo-alike) :)
The geometry is slack and almost Alice in Wonderland clearances are huge :) and it's available in a frameset only option to be built up as a go anywhere expedition bike,It should go far(see what I did there).
Will it become a classic?
The link to the bike:- http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adv ... g/vagabond
The frameset(but-ya-gotta-like-purple):- http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adv ... d-frameset
Last edited by Graham on 24 Jul 2016, 2:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title clarified
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

User avatar
honesty
Posts: 2522
Joined: 16 Mar 2012, 3:33pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: Nice...

Postby honesty » 19 Nov 2015, 5:19pm

Not just purple. Metallic purple. Love it. also see they are doing 2 levels of the tour de fer as well. Pity it's got flat bar.

User avatar
honesty
Posts: 2522
Joined: 16 Mar 2012, 3:33pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: Nice...

Postby honesty » 19 Nov 2015, 5:22pm

Also the equilibrium decade looks an interesting proposition. http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/sportive/equilibrium-decade

mrjemm
Posts: 2933
Joined: 20 Nov 2011, 4:33pm

Re: Nice...

Postby mrjemm » 19 Nov 2015, 5:51pm

Ok, so looking at it on my phone, but... So... You say Fargo a-like, so what makes it better than that, or Surly Ogre, Krampus, ECR... ? Just askin' like.

User avatar
honesty
Posts: 2522
Joined: 16 Mar 2012, 3:33pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: Nice...

Postby honesty » 19 Nov 2015, 5:59pm

Availability in the UK as a starter...

Bmblbzzz
Posts: 2866
Joined: 18 May 2012, 7:56pm
Location: From here to there.

Re: Nice...

Postby Bmblbzzz » 19 Nov 2015, 6:11pm

The Singular Gryphon and Peregrine are in similar vein.
http://shop.singularcycles.com/collections/all

reohn2
Posts: 36282
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Nice...

Postby reohn2 » 19 Nov 2015, 6:12pm

mrjemm wrote:Ok, so looking at it on my phone, but... So... You say Fargo a-like, so what makes it better than that, or Surly Ogre, Krampus, ECR... ? Just askin' like.


Angles a wee bit slacker,stand over's lower BB drop is slightly lower too,It's dedicated rigid frame which has much longer headtube.
No alternator rear d/outs :wink:
I think they've done their homework on this one :)
Though why they changed the Longitude is a mystery,as the only thing I'd would've changed was the colour scheme,the new one frameset only comes in YELLOW which I like :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2
Posts: 36282
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Nice...

Postby reohn2 » 19 Nov 2015, 6:14pm

Bmblbzzz wrote:The Singular Gryphon and Peregrine are in similar vein.
http://shop.singularcycles.com/collections/all


But far more expensive :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Valbrona
Posts: 2233
Joined: 7 Feb 2011, 4:49pm

Re: Nice...

Postby Valbrona » 19 Nov 2015, 6:54pm

Why the vague title to this thread?
I should coco.

reohn2
Posts: 36282
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Nice...

Postby reohn2 » 19 Nov 2015, 7:01pm

Valbrona wrote:Why the vague title to this thread?


Because I like a leettle bit of intrigue :wink:









Obviously it worked or you wouldn't have taken a look :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mrjemm
Posts: 2933
Joined: 20 Nov 2011, 4:33pm

Re: Nice...

Postby mrjemm » 19 Nov 2015, 7:39pm

reohn2 wrote:New Genesis Vagabond(Fargo-alike) :)
The geometry is slack and almost Alice in Wonderland clearances are huge :) and it's available in a frameset only option to be built up as a go anywhere expedition bike,It should go far(see what I did there).
Will it become a classic?
The link to the bike:- http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adv ... g/vagabond
The frameset(but-ya-gotta-like-purple):- http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adv ... d-frameset


...But but but (now home, having a look on lappy), the seat tube is only 0.5 slacker than the Ogre, and exactly the same as the ECR. The ECR head angle is slacker, and the tyre clearances (assuming you mean tyre clearances) are... I can't see them listed, but doubt they're bigger than the ECR's 3", with the Ogre at 2.5". As for Salsa, I think it's closer to the new Deadwood ( http://salsacycles.com/bikes/deadwood ), but of course...

reohn2 wrote:No alternator rear d/outs :wink:


You have been paying attention, a gold star for you. :mrgreen:

The forks are not as comprehensively fitted out as the Surly bikes', and the rear dropouts, while not Alternators (thank Corbyn for that) are a bit, erm, 'plain', and the mech hanger looks flimsy.

The purple is reminiscent of the old Straggler 'Glitter Dreams', if darker. I prefer the new mint green Stragglers though.

I do like the cable adjusters on the headtube though, and I am sure they'll be cheaper, but certainly not anything new here, or any reason for it to be more classic than an ECR or other QBP product. Sorry. :(

reohn2
Posts: 36282
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Nice...

Postby reohn2 » 19 Nov 2015, 8:00pm

Jem
Tyres are 29x2.1" I say that's maximum so not as big,but I still think would make a rather nicer off /on road expedition machine :) .
Jemmoetry looks good to me :)
And the rear d/outs look to be similar lazer cut steel as my GL,which a pretty robust IMO :)

Thank Corbyn for Genesis says I :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

MikeF
Posts: 3769
Joined: 11 Nov 2012, 9:24am
Location: On the borders of the four South East Counties

Re: Nice...

Postby MikeF » 19 Nov 2015, 8:16pm

reohn2 wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:The Singular Gryphon and Peregrine are in similar vein.
http://shop.singularcycles.com/collections/all


But far more expensive :shock:

Not similar spec either especially for the small size.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

fast but dim
Posts: 288
Joined: 15 Sep 2013, 8:48pm
Location: Just far enough from Chorley, lancs

Re: Nice...

Postby fast but dim » 19 Nov 2015, 8:50pm

I'm mobile, so have only got a small screen...am I missing the price?

Also, why no triple? ( I know the answer...but why!!!)

hercule
Posts: 968
Joined: 5 Feb 2011, 5:18pm

Re: Nice...

Postby hercule » 19 Nov 2015, 9:24pm

£999... Just next to the model name, but in fainter type.

I like it, especially the tall head tube which might be good for my creaky neck.

Bar end shifters, which might mean that slapping on a triple (I too am a fan) might be a fairly easy/inexpensive upgrade