Bike with Jet Engine

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
greyingbeard

Re: Bike with Jet Engine

Post by greyingbeard »

bet you dont get too many cars right up your @r$e
not for long anyway
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

bobc wrote:Can you estimate it's fuel consumption? Just for my interest, I expect it will be utterly dreadful.....
Pushbike hardware (chassis, steering, tyres, no suspension, bike brakes) really aren't anything like sensible for 45/50mph, I'm relieved you made discretion the better part of valour.... :)

I've seen jet engines of this sort (e.g. built around turbocharger parts) and in an aircraft the fuel load is normally between one (sometimes up to two) litres which gives about four or five minutes flying time (plus or minus), and around 12-20lbs of thrust. So loosely they seem to give about 2-3ccs per lb.second fuel consumption.

So if you do 60mph then you would use about 20 litres an hour or less than 15mpg. Maybe some engines are more efficient than others.

The thing that always seems weird to me is that the thrust from a jet might allow you to do about 60 or 70mph on the flat but it won't allow you to (say) climb a 10% gradient.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bobc

Post by bobc »

Wacky electric drive ebike system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUN8UV51Gak
looks like they were actually trying to sell this digit-amputator!
As a system it's probably better than it looks (gearing choice by pitch choice, plane ESC doing what it likes to do, plenty low speed thrust, convenient thrust/speed relationship)(more convenient than the jet....)
But to sell it as a product :o
PS Brucey, that's actually better than I expected! For comparison, equivalent mpg of typical ebike is probably 1000 to 3000
Mine did 20miles on 15Ah at 24V on batteries alone (that's 1.3MJ) -
petrol is 44.4MJ/kg so my battery = 29g of petrol (that's 1 ounce). so my equivalent mpg is 2550.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

hugely impressed and clearly a hoot.

Biggest risk is getting busted, which would mean points, maybe even a ban as it would be an illegal motorcycle no licence, no tax, no insurance etc, but hopefully you'd get off with a ticking off.

Did you buy or build the turbine?

PS - I want one !
Jet Bike

Post by Jet Bike »

Hi, I'm not to worried about getting busted as I know most of the local police officers :wink: . It's perfectly legal off public roads which is where ill use it for now. Iv contacted the DVLA about trying to licence it in some way, I hope I can make some progress with them.

It is the most fun I've had with a bicycle and just love the jet noise. I work with a company that uses them for drones. message me If you serious about one.
bobc

Post by bobc »

I'm trying to remember the SVA noise test for cars; you had to run the engine at 2/3 max rpm and they had a "A"weighted dB meter 1 metre from the exhaust at 45degrees. The car limit was 100 or 110dB I think.
Motorbikes were higher I think...... You can get a smartphone app to do the same test I believe (?)
If we're having a sweep, I'll go for the range 115 to 129dB.....
Your other issues might be the very hot thing and an exhaust that would set fire to anything near & in line.... but I can't remember any specific tests for those
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the small jet engines I have seen of this type are incredibly noisy; IIRC > 130 dB @ 1m. This alone will prohibit the use of such a device on the road, I'd have said.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gaz

Post by gaz »

tykeboy2003 wrote:This surely can't be legal on a public road?

+1
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
johnmac

Post by johnmac »

Sounds authentically like something made by Gloster or DeHavilland.

If you have an uncontained turbine failure, they'll find your knackers in the top of a tree!