Dynamo bulbs

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
johnt
Posts: 62
Joined: 30 Apr 2011, 1:57pm

Dynamo bulbs

Postby johnt » 7 Dec 2015, 5:54pm

Would be grateful for any information about replacing screw in bulbs on a "bottle" dynamo with LED's. I know nothing about this at all! Thanks

james01
Posts: 2044
Joined: 6 Aug 2007, 4:48am

Re: Dynamo bulbs

Postby james01 » 7 Dec 2015, 6:12pm

http://www.reflectalite.com/buyingbulbs.html

Not cheap, but they should have what you need.
A cheaper solution is to buy a complete LED lamp, http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;p ... ;orderby=2 , this one from Germany is around £9 and is a very bright light for the money.

pete75
Posts: 13286
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Dynamo bulbs

Postby pete75 » 7 Dec 2015, 6:18pm

james01 wrote:http://www.reflectalite.com/buyingbulbs.html

Not cheap, but they should have what you need.
A cheaper solution is to buy a complete LED lamp, http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;p ... ;orderby=2 , this one from Germany is around £9 and is a very bright light for the money.

And for the size - a brilliant little light in both senses of the word...

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 14105
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, lorry park of England

Re: Dynamo bulbs

Postby gaz » 7 Dec 2015, 8:59pm

+1 for Reflectalite LED "bulbs", I've used them in place of halogen in battery lamps to good effect.

+1 for getting a modern LED lamp instead, which I went on to do a few years later. IMO the combination of modern optics and LEDs is better.
He's got Bette Davis knees.

wjhall
Posts: 121
Joined: 1 Sep 2014, 8:46am

Re: Dynamo bulbs

Postby wjhall » 9 Dec 2015, 9:00am

Pay attention to the manufacturer's remarks about external regulators, which seem to get more insistent as you go down the page.

johnt
Posts: 62
Joined: 30 Apr 2011, 1:57pm

Re: Dynamo bulbs

Postby johnt » 9 Dec 2015, 5:39pm

Thanks guys! johnt

fatboy
Posts: 3451
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 1:32pm
Location: North Hertfordshire

Re: Dynamo bulbs

Postby fatboy » 10 Dec 2015, 3:59pm

gaz wrote:+1 for Reflectalite LED "bulbs", I've used them in place of halogen in battery lamps to good effect.

+1 for getting a modern LED lamp instead, which I went on to do a few years later. IMO the combination of modern optics and LEDs is better.


+1 for modern dynamo light but -1 for the led bulbs. I don't think the optics work right with an led.

Buy from Germany to save cash!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

OldGreyBeard
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Oct 2008, 9:01am

Re: Dynamo bulbs

Postby OldGreyBeard » 10 Dec 2015, 5:48pm

I've bought some LED bulbs from Reflectalite for an Ever Ready FrontGuard and a couple of old Duracell lights (front & rear. The ones that lock to the bike). The bulbs arrived today and I am mightily impressed by the difference they make. Better with the Duracell lights as I think the lens is more suitable. I expect the battery life will be much improved as well.
Dawes Galaxy 1982; Raleigh 3 speed 2007; Brompton M6R 2006
One of the most important days of my life was when I learned to ride a bicycle - Michael Palin

mercalia
Posts: 14240
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Dynamo bulbs

Postby mercalia » 10 Dec 2015, 6:10pm

dont bother - get the cheap Axa Pico30 front light - It is superb. If you can get the one without the the switch then you have a fault free reliable light. great beam that lights the road in front with little spill to the sides ( a little to alert traffic that aways)

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 14105
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, lorry park of England

Re: Dynamo bulbs

Postby gaz » 10 Dec 2015, 10:18pm

OldGreyBeard wrote:I've bought some LED bulbs from Reflectalite for an Ever Ready FrontGuard and a couple of old Duracell lights (front & rear. The ones that lock to the bike). The bulbs arrived today and I am mightily impressed by the difference they make. Better with the Duracell lights as I think the lens is more suitable. I expect the battery life will be much improved as well.

That's interesting. My own Reflectalite LEDs are an older model (NL311). They are a disaster in my old Duracell lockable front lamp. Do you know which model of LED you have?
He's got Bette Davis knees.

OldGreyBeard
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Oct 2008, 9:01am

Re: Dynamo bulbs

Postby OldGreyBeard » 10 Dec 2015, 10:44pm

I bought NL322 for the front light (both Duracell and EverReady Frontguard) and NL317R for the Duracell rear light.

The EverReady is better made than its predecessor, which I still have (!) but the Duracell lights are very robust. The EverReady fits the light bracket on the front fork of my Galaxy. The Duracell lights will go on the station bike, a Raleigh ladies 3 speed with wicker basket.
Dawes Galaxy 1982; Raleigh 3 speed 2007; Brompton M6R 2006
One of the most important days of my life was when I learned to ride a bicycle - Michael Palin

SA_SA_SA
Posts: 1929
Joined: 31 Oct 2009, 1:46pm

Re: Dynamo bulbs

Postby SA_SA_SA » 11 Dec 2015, 11:43am

Reflectalite have been updating many of their bulbs to use side-emitter leds (they call them universal) as these fire more light (sidewards) into the reflector (like a filament bulb)to be collected and focused rather than straight forwards out the lens. This was the type of led B&M used in their 1st DTopal front lamp before they started to use 'reverse optics' like in the cyo.

The NL322 is such a side emitter (I think its predessor was not).
I wish I knew where they buy their side emitters because they would be useful for my own projects....

SA_SA_SA
Posts: 1929
Joined: 31 Oct 2009, 1:46pm

Re: Dynamo bulbs

Postby SA_SA_SA » 11 Dec 2015, 12:03pm

SA_SA_SA wrote:Reflectalite have been updating many of their bulbs to use side-emitter leds (they call them universal) as these fire more light (sidewards) into the reflector (like a filament bulb)to be collected and focused rather than straight forwards out the lens. This was the type of led B&M used in their 1st DTopal front lamp before they started to use 'reverse optics' like in the cyo.
Of course the side emitter led source is bigger than a hot filament, so the beam may change a bit according to lamp kind....

The NL322 is such a side emitter (I think its predessor was not).
I wish I knew where they buy their side emitters because they would be useful for my own projects....
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)

OldGreyBeard
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Oct 2008, 9:01am

Re: Dynamo bulbs

Postby OldGreyBeard » 11 Dec 2015, 1:19pm

What I've found with the EverReady FrontGuard is that the filament bulb gives a more defined cross pattern. With the LED its more fuzzy although brighter. The Duracell front & rear lights work better. They have different lenses to each other. The rear one is more about even spread. The original bulbs were Krypton ones which I assume means that they were brighter.

If it ever stops raining I'll fit them to a bike and give them a road test.
Dawes Galaxy 1982; Raleigh 3 speed 2007; Brompton M6R 2006
One of the most important days of my life was when I learned to ride a bicycle - Michael Palin

OldGreyBeard
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Oct 2008, 9:01am

Re: Dynamo bulbs

Postby OldGreyBeard » 11 Dec 2015, 3:30pm

Of course changing the bulb does nothing for the weight. However I reckon I could use a AA to D convertor like this one http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/d-battery-converter-4-pack-l65aq
Dawes Galaxy 1982; Raleigh 3 speed 2007; Brompton M6R 2006
One of the most important days of my life was when I learned to ride a bicycle - Michael Palin