Dynamo bulbs

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
willem jongman

Re: Dynamo bulbs

Postby willem jongman » 19 Oct 2020, 8:50am

I would suggest that you contact either the importer in the UK or Schmidt themselves.

andrew_s

Re: Dynamo bulbs

Postby andrew_s » 19 Oct 2020, 10:15pm

Try the front light on its own (i.e rear unplugged at the front light) and see whether it's any better,and also, if you've got one, try an alternative dynamo light (even an old filament bulb one). I have had rear light problems suck all of the power out of the fronf.
If it's no better, that at least confirms that the front light is the problem, rather than the rear, or the wiring to the rear.

If it is the Edelux, then ...
a) you've got to get in. It's a condition of German standards that the LEDs aren't user changeable, so it's probably got strong loctite on the threads.
b) having got in, you've got to identify what the problem is. It's just as likely that it's some other electronic component as it is that it's the LED itself.
c) to replace non-LED components, you need fairly good technical expertise. A basic soldering iron and surface mount components on a PCB aren't a good match.
d) if it is the LED, the replacement must be the same, and fitted in exactly the same place, or the beam pattern will be messed up.
See this dissection: https://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests ... ex_en.html