Disc Brake Pads -- Longevity ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
grani

Re: Disc Brake Pads -- Longevity ?

Postby grani » 13 Dec 2015, 5:12pm

The organic pads can be effective but they can wear incredibly quickly depending on use.

andrewjoseph

Postby andrewjoseph » 13 Dec 2015, 11:48pm

Brucey wrote:
pedalsheep wrote:
Redvee wrote
The fasctory fitted pads in my TRP Hy:Rd lasted 900 miles the replacements, Nukeproof semi metallic are now over 1800 miles old and should last well into 2016 though I do already have spare pads ready to fit when the time comes.

Is this normal?

if you live anywhere hilly, ride in all weathers, use organic-based pads...... then yes, that is pretty 'normal'.

In some places you can destroy a set of such pads in a day's mucky MTBing, easy.

cheers

Several times i've gone through a part worn set, a new set and had to put in my last spare during one mtb ride. only the front though. i go through about 2-3 sets of front pads for one set on the back.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.

Redvee

Postby Redvee » 14 Dec 2015, 1:27am

pedalsheep wrote:
Redvee wrote
The fasctory fitted pads in my TRP Hy:Rd lasted 900 miles the replacements, Nukeproof semi metallic are now over 1800 miles old and should last well into 2016 though I do already have spare pads ready to fit when the time comes.

Is this normal? At that rate the pads on my new Croix de Fer with TRP Hy:Rd will need replacing very shortly.

The Hy:Rd was fitted on the front of a bike with a v-brake on the rear so I did most of the braking on the front and this was over 2 months of all weather commuting.
The Nukeproof pads can be found here

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 14 Dec 2015, 12:23pm

Thanks for the link Redvee.
I've heard good things about RWD pads, anyone got any views on these?
Would organic or sintered pads be best for an all weather road bike?
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 14 Dec 2015, 1:43pm

if mechanical discs, the discs themselves are hard enough, and you can stick the noise, I'd suggest using sintered pads.

However if hydraulic or semi-hydraulic, I'd be leery of using sintered pads unless this is both endorsed by the brake manufacturer and proven not to cause problems in the kind of terrain you ride in.

The reason for this is that sintered pads transfer heat far better than organic/semi-metallic pads, thus sintered pads are more likely to cause thermal problems in calipers that are not designed for them.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 14 Dec 2015, 5:30pm

Thanks Brucey. They are TRP Hy:Rd - cable operated hydraulics. I have to say the learning curve with disk brakes is steeper than I anticipated but I love the way they don't cover your bike in grey/black gunge in the wet!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

ChrisF

Postby ChrisF » 14 Dec 2015, 10:36pm

I was thinking of getting discs on my next touring bike but this whole thread has put me off somewhat. Can someone reassure me? Not wanting to get into the whole discs vs. rims debate, but just from a maintenance point-of-view? Thanks
Chris F, Cornwall

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 14 Dec 2015, 10:43pm

is there a specific maintenance task that is of concern?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

phil parker

Postby phil parker » 14 Dec 2015, 10:56pm

quilkin wrote:I was thinking of getting discs on my next touring bike but this whole thread has put me off somewhat. Can someone reassure me? Not wanting to get into the whole discs vs. rims debate, but just from a maintenance point-of-view? Thanks

Of course you've joined a thread discussing the longevity and technical fallibility of disc brakes/pads as opposed to a comparison of disc vs rim brakes for touring from a maintenance point of view. There will be mixed opinion and without wanting to stray too much from the topic of the OP - perhaps you should start a thread and make up your own decision from the opinions given? I can reassure that I wouldn't revert back to rim brakes for my tourer and if I didn't have a good, recent frame re-spray on my Thorn Expedition bike, I would have no hesitation in converting that to disc brakes as well.

Back to the original thread - I think there is some good information and experience here from the contributors regarding both the longevity of disc pads and the maintenance required.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 15 Dec 2015, 7:09am

quilkin wrote:I was thinking of getting discs on my next touring bike but this whole thread has put me off somewhat. Can someone reassure me? Not wanting to get into the whole discs vs. rims debate, but just from a maintenance point-of-view? Thanks

IMO, each has advantages. The biggest advantage of disc brakes to me, is that I get my stopping power for less effort. That is, I don't have to squeeze the levers as hard.

This is more important to me mountain biking than other times because my hands are somewhat arthritic, and the position on flat bars is a little awkward, and sometimes painful for me. Also, mountain biking, I use the brakes more. So, my mountain bike has discs, but my other bikes don't.

I don't think that the weight penalty is worth the easier braking on my road or touring bikes and the position on drops makes it easier for me.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 15 Dec 2015, 7:36am

Trying to remember how many times I've changed pads on my trike - I've done somewhere around 12-15k miles (>5 years commuting) in all weathers...

I can only remember replacing them once, though I have been thinking about having another look soon..
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

andrewjoseph

Postby andrewjoseph » 15 Dec 2015, 10:08am

pedalsheep wrote:Thanks for the link Redvee.
I've heard good things about RWD pads, anyone got any views on these?
Would organic or sintered pads be best for an all weather road bike?

i've been pleased with kevlar compound on road/tourer and mtb.

not quite as long-lasting as sintered, not as quiet as organic.

http://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&c=8&p=112
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.