Alfine 11; how it works (long)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Alfine 11; how it works (long)

Post by Brucey »

hopefully the Alfine 8 will be less painful than a jab in the arm.

The most common (and I think best) flat bar shifter with A8 is a trigger shifter (with two paddles) on the RH handlebar, and an indicator which tells you which gear you are in. There are several other options.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The hub is best thought of as a two speed (reduction or direct) gear which drives a six-speed (direct or increase, 5 options) gear.
Fast forward to Jan '21 and I was out on my A11-equipped bike today! I just wanted to let you know, Brucey, that I've got my head round your first sentance and am working on the rest... :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

very good, carry on! :lol:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I have two questions please:
1. Where, on flat bars, is the changer best located ? I am right handed.
2. I believe there are several Shimano "on the bars" changer options. Which is considered the best?

I've been using a variety of options with my A11. I quite liked the twin paddle trigger Brucey refers to for a couple of reason, one it's possible to shift quite quickly - 2 steps up are possible and you can shift down as fast as you can operate the trigger, two, it falls naturally to hand if mounted correctly, with finger and thumb very close to the paddles and three the indicator is useful. It is designed to be fitted on the R side. It is branded as SL-S700 and usually comes with cable & bits, at about £50.
Shimano SL-S700
Shimano SL-S700
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
zeluzel

Post by zeluzel »

Just a quick question - does oil lubrication means, there's no grease on ball bearings? It seems so, as there is no grease mentioned in official Shimano techdoc. If so, then greasing just the bearings wouldn't help the hub keep the oil in? Or would it be diluted and get inside a hub?