36hole rims, what happened?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bigdummysteve

36hole rims, what happened?

Postby Bigdummysteve » 19 Jan 2016, 8:07pm

When I built up my big dummy I chose 36 hole rims and hubs, one of those hubs being a rohloff. Now I want to transfer my rohloff I suddenly find the 36 hole rims have really gone out of fashion, particularly in the 29"+ sizes ( 45-50mm)

Now I realise that a rohloff wheel builds up stronger but why have 36 hole rims in general become so rare, my rohloff in 36 hole drilling is now severely limiting my choice of rims, so why? Have rims/spokes become so much stronger that there is no longer any need or is it this (in my opinion) crazy idea that every single gram is worth the sacrifice.
I'm still waiting 4 months later for some velocity dually rims which they make limited runs of of 36 drilling, 32 hole I could of had the next day. What's going on?

Freddie

Re: 36hole rims, what happened?

Postby Freddie » 19 Jan 2016, 9:00pm

You're probably over thinking things. If it is anything, it is likely a matter low sales followed by low production runs.

Bigdummysteve

Postby Bigdummysteve » 19 Jan 2016, 9:11pm

Freddie wrote:You're probably over thinking things. If it is anything, it is likely a matter low sales followed by low production runs.

Perhaps but why? Or instance surly only make thier rabbit hole 29"+ rims in 32 , stans 52mm Hugo rims are also only available in 32 hole drilling. With my limited and perhaps old fashioned knowledge I would of thought these larger rims which are going to be used in challenging terrain would benefit from more spokes, it's not as if these rims are ever going to build into a lightweight wheel anyway and I for one prefer to trade a few extra grams for a stronger wheel.

RickH

Postby RickH » 19 Jan 2016, 9:18pm

Maybe it is linked, in part at least, to availability of 36H hubs. No point producing masses of 36H rims if there aren't the quantities of hubs available.

... And then there's the catch 22 of hubs not being made because of limited availability of rims! :?

Do any of the big manufacturers spec 36H hubs/rims on anything much (or at all)? if not, then 36H stuff will be a relatively "niche" market.

Rick.

Freddie

Postby Freddie » 19 Jan 2016, 9:30pm

Expecting people to be purely rational creatures is expecting too much. If people could be sold rims that had to be replaced every two months and were happy to buy such rims, those would be what manufacturers would sell. Their only interest is supplying the market with what it wants with the highest profit margin sustainable.

Notice the limited utility of the ultra close clearance racing frame, yet it predominates on UK roads. The lack of clearance just limits your options while bringing no clear benefit, but people associate close clearance with high speed, elite racing and believe having such a machine can somehow confer some of that aura to themselves, thus emotion takes precedence over reasoning.

Bigdummysteve

Postby Bigdummysteve » 19 Jan 2016, 9:33pm

Hmm guess I'm just old,I just naturally think 36 hole rims and hubs are what you need for off road or touring. If I had known I wouldn't have searched for a 36 hole rohloff, youth of today.....tut

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 19 Jan 2016, 9:56pm

I think that if you don't choose such a 'fashion driven' rim design, you can have as many 36h rims as you want. Often they are cheaper and stronger too.

BTW if you think you are struggling to get 36h rims, try getting 40h ones.... :shock:

BTW when I choose a set of rims for wheels where I think I might wear them out or bend them, I try to choose an ERD whereby I am reasonably sure to find alternative rims of the same ERD when the time comes to rebuild.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mig

Postby mig » 19 Jan 2016, 10:04pm

what you need is a story in the press that wiggins/cavendish/thomas etc trains on 36H box rims......

Des49

Postby Des49 » 19 Jan 2016, 10:07pm

I would be happier to have a 36 hole Rohloff, they are relatively recent I think.

Mine is a 32 hole hub, bought 2nd hand from eBay many years ago, the wheel in 26" is still pretty good in 32h, but personally would prefer 36 spokes. I still use a lot of 36 hole rims in 26" and 700c, so far (touch wood) no issues finding what I require.

Samuel D

Postby Samuel D » 19 Jan 2016, 11:23pm

I think what happened is that Rose bought them all!

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Jan 2016, 9:18am

Pure speculation,but 32h rims could be directly linked to the boom years ago in MTB sales until quite recently being 25in(559),32 spoked 26in wheels with big MTB tyres build into a strong wheel,so before discs were also popular,32s became the norm and it caught on.
I would have though Fat bike wheels are stressed even less than MTB wheels so 32s would also be the norm.
Cyclo touring is niche in world sales so 36,40s became less popular especially in 700c.
BTW try finding 700c 48s for your tandem,I know of two readily available makes that's all,and as Brucey says 40s are becoming the same. :?

EDIT:- 36 hole Rohloff specific rim,but they're heavy @ 845g:- http://tandems.co.uk/m12b0s95p642/RYDE- ... ng-36-hole
-----------------------------------------------------------

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 20 Jan 2016, 1:44pm

Well.... I think that most people, and probably many of those in the cycling industry think of Rohloff hubs and 36 hole rims both as something for touring and commuting bikes, which are mostly on 26" and 700C wheels. On the other hand, 29" wheels are mostly for bikes where no one is thought to want the weight penalty of hub gears or a gazillion :wink: spokes.

Like it or not, I'm sure that those working in the industry expect little or no demand for a 29" wheel with 36 spokes and a Rohloff hub.

That said, there are some 29er MTB rims out there with 36 holes. Also, (maybe because of the gap in the market?) some mountain bikers use unicycle rims from Kris Holm.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Bigdummysteve

Postby Bigdummysteve » 20 Jan 2016, 1:46pm

Brucey wrote:I think that if you don't choose such a 'fashion driven' rim design, you can have as many 36h rims as you want. cheers

Not so much fashion, I'm building up a surly ECR which is designed around 3" tyres. I'm not convinced that a 35mm rim of which there are a few available will provide enough support.

These appear to be the only easily available wide 36 hole 29" rims http://www.unicycle.uk.com/29-kris-holm ... e-rim.html
Unless any one has anyone has any other suggestions.

Bigdummysteve

Postby Bigdummysteve » 20 Jan 2016, 1:57pm

Vorpal wrote: Also, (maybe because of the gap in the market?) some mountain bikers use unicycle rims from Kris Holm.

:D these may be my only hope, and half the price of the velocity rims