sturmey archer aw3 threaded sprockets?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jk49

sturmey archer aw3 threaded sprockets?

Post by jk49 »

I've got a SA aw3 which appears to be in pretty good nick. I think it is from WW2 as it's body doesn't appear to have the date stamp on it. I'm planning on transplanting it into a 36 hole shell that I've already built into a wheel. (it's inner bearing is pretty rough). The older hub has a threaded sprocket driver. I would like to change the gearing, but can't find any information about whether threaded sprockets are still available for these drivers. Does anyone have any experiences they could share? Thanks in advance.
TonyR

Re: sturmey archer aw3 threaded sprockets?

Post by TonyR »

The person to ask is http://www.oldbiketrader.co.uk. If he doesn't carry it, it probably doesn't exist.
123malford

Post by 123malford »

I have a S.A.3sp AW hybrid geared bicycle with a threaded sprocket driver - 2 front chainrings running 3/32. I recently changed the sprocket for one of these- http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-17t-20 ... 5360597795 -doubtless you will find a 1/8 track sprocket if needed. The driver which presumably is BSC threading was quite happy with ISO.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yup a standard track sprocket will fit an SA threaded driver. You can usually turn the old sprocket if you want to, and use it again. Just be careful when removing the old sprocket, if it is really on there you can break the driver trying to get it off (ask me how I know.... :roll: :oops: ). BTW if the hub is an AW then a later driver (with the more commonplace three-lugged sprocket fitting) will fit.

If the original hubshell is as old as you say the LH bearing race can be removed from the hubshell and replaced; it is in there on a LH thread, the whole end of the hub unscrews. IIRC SA changed to a pressed-in LH hub end some time in the 1950s; earlier hubs are easy to spot because there are two flats on the LH end of the hub. Often, older AWs have a lubrication port on the LH end of the hubshell.

If the bike that the wheel is to go in is to be used unladen, a simple solution to the non-availability of 40h rims is to lace a 32h rim onto it; this will require two different spoke lengths only, so is a fairly easy build.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
jk49

Post by jk49 »

Thanks for all the helpful replies. It's good to know that if I can remove the original sprocket, a newer one with fewer teeth can be got.
Brucey, I'll have a look at the old hubshell to see if its the removable cup type, although its the moderner one that is both goosed, and built up into a wheel already. So hopefully just a transplant job.
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

It should be marked on the hub shell both the type and the year of manufacture.