Ways to secure Saddle and Wheels?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MaxSwede

Ways to secure Saddle and Wheels?

Postby MaxSwede » 18 Feb 2016, 3:44pm

Hi, I'm looking to find ways to secure my wheels and saddle?
Any good tips that look good and are easy to install?

gaz

Re: Ways to secure Saddle and Wheels?

Postby gaz » 18 Feb 2016, 5:55pm

Welcome to the forum.

Pitlock skewers may offer a solution.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 18 Feb 2016, 7:00pm

MaxSwede wrote:Hi, I'm looking to find ways to secure my wheels and saddle?
Any good tips that look good and are easy to install?

this may not seem like very useful advice on first sight but I have found that it works pretty well; for bikes that you are going to leave locked up where crims operate it is a balance between incentive (for the crims) and deterrence. Locks, special skewers, alarms, and all that malarky are only deterrents, they don't 'secure' anything, not if a determined crim wants it.

The reason you need those is because you have incentivised the crims by having 'nice bits' on your bike; bits that they can (say) flog on e-bay to other people who (for whatever crazy reason) might prize a sagging piece of cowhide or some particular kind of wheel, and clearly aren't too fussy about exactly where such things come from. [e.g. there's apparently a London bloke on e-bay who has flogged several hundred used Brooks saddles in the last few years... even with the greatest amount of 'benefit of doubt' you have to suspect that he's as bent as a nine bob note and so is his gear...]

The deterrence needs to be in proportion to the degree of incentive you have given the crims; thus I don't think any discussion about security can ignore this aspect. The bike I ride round town works fine but even though it looks like a scabby POS; I don't need any special security measures to retain possession of my (very comfortable) saddle or (very functional) wheels because they don't look worth stealing. Arguably the degree of deterrence need only be good enough to move a would-be crim on to another similar bike which is less well secured.

Anyway I'd suggest a good lock through both wheels as well as the frame, and if you must have a posh (nickable) saddle, use a QR seat binder and take it with you when you park up.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 19 Feb 2016, 4:46pm

The standard advice when I was younger and which I've no doubt still applies was to remove the front wheel (if quick release) and thread the lock through it, the back wheel, seat tube (not post) and a lamp post, steel railing or similar. A suitible sized Allen key to undo the seat post clamp or quick release seat post clamp will allow you to either take the saddle with you or if the lock is thin enough, thread it through the saddle rails with everything else.
All you need then is tie a plastic bag over the exposed seat tube to keep the rain out.
All said though, if you can just take the front wheel and saddle with you then do so. A full bike is more appealing to scum than a partial bike.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

Gattonero

Postby Gattonero » 22 Feb 2016, 7:33pm

Have to say that thieves in London are starting to remove the parts like shifters from the bars, rear mechs, etc.

Pitlock skewers are good up to a certain extent, best thing is always to not leave the bike unattended for too long, and to leave it in a busy place and not in a dark alley :idea:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...

Des49

Postby Des49 » 23 Feb 2016, 9:15am

Gattonero wrote:Have to say that thieves in London are starting to remove the parts like shifters from the bars, rear mechs, etc.

Is this why there appears to be an increase in fixed or single speed bikes?!

This theft sounds an increasing problem and I feel for people who have a fair distance to cycle and so need a reasonable bike and have nowhere really secure to leave it when at work/shopping.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 23 Feb 2016, 2:29pm

I use a 6' long curly cable - this goes through the frame and wheels and also whatever I am locking the bike to. Then up to the saddle where I can just about lock the cable to the saddle rail. I've known some people keep a second, thinner cable just for the saddle.

If I'm using a bike with a QR on the seatpost - sometimes I just take the seatpost and saddle with me instead of locking it up.

A reasonable compromise between security/deterrent and finding that the saddle has slipped, or I have a puncture, and I've forgotten to bring the special security-bolt-removal tool with me!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

MaxSwede

Postby MaxSwede » 13 Mar 2016, 10:36pm

What about Hexlox.com - that looks awesome, no?
I just signed up for their Kickstarter launch on Wednesday.

Mark Berry

Postby Mark Berry » 14 Mar 2016, 2:00pm

My wife locked her bike with a substantial U-lock in the middle of Wimbledon town center on a Saturday morning and lost her keys. I came along with an angle grinder and extension lead, and asked Costa's to let me use a plug. Bike removed in 3 minutes, no questions asked. Most people deliberately look the other way (just as well, considering the sparks). Maybe I didn't look like a criminal but I certainly felt like one. Determined bike thieves will always get what they want.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 14 Mar 2016, 10:54pm

Vantage wrote:The standard advice when I was younger and which I've no doubt still applies was to remove the front wheel (if quick release) and thread the lock through it, the back wheel, seat tube (not post) and a lamp post, steel railing or similar. A suitible sized Allen key to undo the seat post clamp or quick release seat post clamp will allow you to either take the saddle with you or if the lock is thin enough, thread it through the saddle rails with everything else.
All you need then is tie a plastic bag over the exposed seat tube to keep the rain out.
All said though, if you can just take the front wheel and saddle with you then do so. A full bike is more appealing to scum than a partial bike.

If you just use an average plastic (but comfortable - fits your bum) saddle i don't think there is any need for special saddle security even in london. If anyone nicked my saddle in london (and i have ridden here and locked up for years) it would be out of sheer devilment. There would be little economic gain in it. So far so good. I second all of brucey's wise comments.
Sweep

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 14 Mar 2016, 10:59pm

Des49 wrote:
Gattonero wrote:Have to say that thieves in London are starting to remove the parts like shifters from the bars, rear mechs, etc.

Is this why there appears to be an increase in fixed or single speed bikes?!

Don't think that theory hold to tell the truth -fixed or single speed if anything would be more nickable as they are just so in fashion. A scruffy looking but good to ride 7 or 8 speed would be more thief proof i think. No truth in rumours that some folk are fitting coloured rims in last years colour to deter thieves pandering to the poser market.
Sweep

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 14 Mar 2016, 11:06pm

I have actually of late in london started following the late sainted barry mason's advice to use 2 good/decent but different locks. Used to think this overkill but then decided that i have the locks anyway so why not use them rather than one lock and a cable. The extra weight helps my diet. Combined with the fact that the old ridgeback looks like nothing much (though i love it) i am, famous last words, pretty confident that it won't be nicked. There are loads of way more attractive targets. Wheels have basic security skewers. Frame has variety of silver duct tape patches to protect from rubs/make it look even tattier.
Sweep

Zanda

Postby Zanda » 21 Mar 2016, 10:33pm

The best advice for locking up in an urban area is to use two good locks of different types, and to ensure that both frame and wheels are locked directly to an immovable object (such as a parking stand).

Then there's Sheldon Brown's technique of locking the frame and rear wheel with a single D-lock which only needs to go around the rim and the parking stand, as long as you use a section of the rim within the rear triangle of your frame. There's an explanation in this article of mine.

You can swap wheel skewers for something that needs a tool; allen key skewers are available as are (more secure) skewers with an unusual-shaped bolt head (which come with a corresponding unusual-shaped key).

Another measure is to make the bike you use for commuting (and other day-to-day journeys) less attractive to a thief by covering the brand names and by customising it with stickers and a distinctive paint job. The more distinctive it is, the more easily it can be identified and so the less appealing it will be to a thief.

In general, bike thieves prefer to operate in (relative) privacy. That means you should be able to decrease the risk of theft by parking in busy places rather than, say, secluded back streets.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 21 Mar 2016, 10:49pm

Mark Berry wrote:My wife locked her bike with a substantial U-lock in the middle of Wimbledon town center on a Saturday morning and lost her keys. I came along with an angle grinder and extension lead, and asked Costa's to let me use a plug. Bike removed in 3 minutes, no questions asked. Most people deliberately look the other way (just as well, considering the sparks). Maybe I didn't look like a criminal but I certainly felt like one. Determined bike thieves will always get what they want.

ah thats a good tip for would be thieves - have a young lady associate standing by then passers by thinks its her bike? :idea: :shock: :cry:

Bez

Postby Bez » 21 Mar 2016, 10:50pm