Vittoria Hypers (again)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
niggle

Re: Vittoria Hypers (again)

Post by niggle »

+2

Also I ordered some brown 35mm Hypers last spring and the ones I got are folders with identical tread and sidewall thickness to the black ones. They suit my olive green CBD very well IMO. However with Planet X you can never be sure....
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I see the 2019 Vittoria catalogue (PDF download at this link) no longer lists the Voyager Hyper or any similar tyre. No trace of it on the website either.

Is this the end?

Still available in shops for now.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Samuel D wrote:I see the 2019 Vittoria catalogue (PDF download at this link) no longer lists the Voyager Hyper or any similar tyre. No trace of it on the website either.

Is this the end?

Not for me :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

Samuel D wrote:I see the 2019 Vittoria catalogue (PDF download at this link) no longer lists the Voyager Hyper or any similar tyre. No trace of it on the website either.

Is this the end?

I came across Vittoria's new Terreno Zero (hidden in the cyclocross section) which might be a contender as a replacement for Hypers (especially if they broaden the range a bit). I've not found any "in use" reviews yet so we'll have to see how they turn out in practice.

Going by current wear rates, I've probably got at least 10 years supply of Hypers so I'm personally not in too much of a rush to find a replacement. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Rick
Those Zeros are quit a bit heavier than Hypers
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I assumed they were wired, not folding, accounting for a chunk of the difference
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Bonefishblues wrote:I assumed they were wired, not folding, accounting for a chunk of the difference

Comparing with the Hyper 35 mm I'd sort of imagined that wire would amount to more like 100 g difference. Conversely if it is wired then the basic tyre must be pretty light.
Wonder how well they roll? The weight must be pretty much the same as the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme in 35/37 mm.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I assumed they were wired, not folding, accounting for a chunk of the difference

Looking at illustration the bead looks to be kevlar (folding).
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:

I really couldn't tell, and absent any information from the manufacturer, I assumed wired. Surely they would have mentioned it in the blurb?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

I really couldn't tell, and absent any information from the manufacturer, I assumed wired. Surely they would have mentioned it in the blurb?

Admittedly I'm going off the colour of the bead (yellow)as folding kevlar bead is the same colour.
W H Auden
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

RickH wrote:
Going by current wear rates, I've probably got at least 10 years supply of Hypers so I'm personally not in too much of a rush to find a replacement. :D
What are your current wear rates? I have one on the front that has been over 8000miles. Rear seems to wear faster and that's with very minimal rear wheel braking.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
meic

Post by meic »

I get a touch over 4,000 miles on the back with 37mm Hypers, which is what I normally get on the rear out of a tyre.
On the front no tyre would wear out before it got ruined by the death of a thousand cuts or perished, so they normally move to the rear to get used up before that happens.
Yma o Hyd
robc02

Post by robc02 »

meic wrote:I get a touch over 4,000 miles on the back with 37mm Hypers, which is what I normally get on the rear out of a tyre.
On the front no tyre would wear out before it got ruined by the death of a thousand cuts or perished, so they normally move to the rear to get used up before that happens.

Mine are 40-622 and the mileage must be similar to your's. I have recently replaced a pair that had worn to the carcass in places. They get removed and replaced with winter tyres for the coldest months and when refitted they are swapped to even out the wear.
RickH

Post by RickH »

MikeF wrote:
RickH wrote:
What are your current wear rates? I have one on the front that has been over 8000miles. Rear seems to wear faster and that's with very minimal rear wheel braking.

The bike they are on has done a bit over 3000 miles. But some of that will have been with studded tyres in the snow & ice or more knobbly tyres (700x40 WTB Nanos) on a second pair of wheels for more seriously off road rides. So the Hypers will have done something north of 2500 miles with some wear but I don't think they are anywhere near worn out - none of the (minimal) tread pattern has disappeared yet.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

RickH wrote:
MikeF wrote:
RickH wrote:

The bike they are on has done a bit over 3000 miles. But some of that will have been with studded tyres in the snow & ice or more knobbly tyres (700x40 WTB Nanos) on a second pair of wheels for more seriously off road rides. So the Hypers will have done something north of 2500 miles with some wear but I don't think they are anywhere near worn out - none of the (minimal) tread pattern has disappeared yet.
On mine the lesser sipes are barely visible but the main ones still have a little depth.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.