Vittoria Hypers (again)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Re: Vittoria Hypers (again)

Post by Sweep »

Less than £14 at the mo for a Planet X election sale - for 35mm width - others cost more but still extra discounted.

Use code: PRATOZH until 12pm 9th June
Sweep
RickH

Post by RickH »

Another temporary reduction in prices until 12pm on 4th July (They've reached "T" in their Alphabet Sale) - 20% off current prices, so you can get them at ~£16 for 35mm (currently £19.99) & ~£20 for 32s & 38s (currently £24.99) using code "PRATOZT". Stock levels are listed as "Lots in stock" in all sizes.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
hodge

Post by hodge »

I've got some 35mm Vittoria Hypers shoehorned onto an old Dawes super galaxy.
They cope very well on some pretty shoddy city roads if low pressures are used. I'm 11st 'ish at the mo with the bike currently at around 26lbs and run them with 35psi front and 45psi rear *.
They feel v comfortable and secure at these pressures, this especially noticeable when descending steeper roads on poor surfaces. Neither do they feel slow or sluggish as you would expect. I haven't noticed any 'tyre roll' when cornering at these pressures, nor any tendency to slide or slip on wet roads. No punctures in the 2 yrs I've had them on.
* the inner tubes I fitted them with were some lightweight ones rated for 25-28 mm tyres, which is what I had to hand at the time. They lose a little pressure which means I've often used these tyres at much lower pressures for short emergency dashs to the shops - <20psi if the track pump gauge is to be believed! They didn't bottom out or roll off the rim, surprisingly, but did feel a bit soft :D. Comfy tho. I use this bike mainly around town, if going on a longer ride, on decent roads I put a bit more than 35/45 in and they roll along really well.
Anyway . . the reason I'm posting is 'cos I've seen them reviewed here:
https://www.fietsersbond.nl/de-fiets/on ... HpdwvnhCUk

google translate gives the conclusion ; 'Vittoria Randonneur Hyper or Voyager Hyper Folding € 42.90 (in 2013 name change from randonneur hyper to voyager hyper) The fastest out of the test. An unknown band, but recommended to anyone seeking a fast, lightweight, comfortable tire with reasonable leak resistance.'

and also here:
http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews
apologies if these have been linked to already (I haven't read ALL of the 27 pages of this thread :oops: )
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I have found that my rear wheel now skids with these when I leg brake on my fixed. Obviously this makes me cooler, however I would prefer to brake without skidding. Is this a bedding in issue, or do they grip less that my other tyres?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

belgiangoth wrote:I have found that my rear wheel now skids with these when I leg brake on my fixed. Obviously this makes me cooler, however I would prefer to brake without skidding. Is this a bedding in issue, or do they grip less that my other tyres?

I find it difficult to be sure, but I think you might be right, in some conditions at least. I have had a couple of slides, on wet and maybe greasy roads, that I don't think would have happened with other tyres (e.g. Conti 4 Seasons). However, I can't really confirm this without doing repeated retests of the same manoeuvres on different tyres - knowing that some of them would result in a crash! Mine are 40-622 run at about 40F 50R - just me (under 10.5 stones) and unladen tourer (LHT).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

belgiangoth wrote:I have found that my rear wheel now skids with these when I leg brake on my fixed. Obviously this makes me cooler, however I would prefer to brake without skidding. Is this a bedding in issue, or do they grip less that my other tyres?

What load is there on the tyre and what psi?
I've not had any problems with Hypers but for an all up load of 98kg I run them @ 45f 65r for 35's and 5psi less for 40's
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Scunnered

Post by Scunnered »

I have had at least a couple of micro-slips at the rear wheel in the wet. I have not noticed this with any other tyre.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

It's the 38mm ones, load of about 80kg tops across both wheels. Low psi (30ish).
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

belgiangoth wrote:It's the 38mm ones, load of about 80kg tops across both wheels. Low psi (30ish).

That surprises me.
Could it road conditions?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

If they are fresh on could it be the mould release agent which hasn't yet worn off affecting grip? I've not heard it in bike tyres, but it's very much a thing with car tyres?
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Could be conditions, only happens downhill in the wet, but doesn't happen with the kojaks.
tincaman

Post by tincaman »

Graham

Post by Graham »

I have just taken the Hypers (32) off my Dawes Galaxy for the winter.

The replacement is Marathon Racers (30). I'm hoping that they will be a bit more robust for the conditions.

They feel a lot less "substantial" i.e skittery. Maybe I just need to get used to them.
hodge

Post by hodge »

tincaman wrote:https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/vittoria-voyager-hyper-folding-tyre

£13 + postage for the 32mm and 38mm

Knowing PlanetX this may've changed since you posted earlier; they're now showing 35mm in brown or black and 38mm in black at £13 and 32mm black at £21 + p&p
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Graham wrote:I have just taken the Hypers (32) off my Dawes Galaxy for the winter.

The replacement is Marathon Racers (30). I'm hoping that they will be a bit more robust for the conditions.

They feel a lot less "substantial" i.e skittery. Maybe I just need to get used to them.
Do you find there that much difference in grip between Marathon Racers (there are different versions) and Hypers? I've used both.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.