Raleigh steering lock

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Suffolker

Re: Raleigh steering lock

Post by Suffolker »

Mick F wrote:
Suffolker wrote:I also have the original instructions, which caution against riding the bicycle with the key in the lock.
Any advice for people riding it with it still locked? :wink:

None at all. Not even a suggestion for nerves of iron and a wide, very straight road.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

maybe there are three styles not just two?

late version of the fork lock internals (not original keys)

possible second style keys

original style keys

The 'second type' is superficially similar to the first type but uses a different blank, with ridges spaced differently. BTW if a NGN lock barrel is worn, it will sometimes accept 'the wrong blank' so that is another possible explanation.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shaftdrive

Post by Shaftdrive »

Hi Brucey,
Your first pic shows two plungers of unequal length.
Would you care to give us more information on this one.
Also did you make up a tool that would pick a Lowe and Fletcher lock. Any more details or pics of this would be very much appreciated.
All interesting stuff.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Not that I think this applies in this case or that I have any great degree of expertise in this respect but most folk who know how to pick locks make a point of not showing others how to do it because the information may be of great use to ill-doers. The point I was trying to make is that if you really want to, you can find a way.

I think the two lengths of plunger in the photo (not my photo BTW, just one I found in the interweb) may be to allow the same lock to be used in a fork crown or a Rudge-type frame lock. There is also more than one offset of the fork crown from the frameset, I think, and this may necessitate a different length plunger too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~