Wheel building book

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mattsccm

Wheel building book

Post by mattsccm »

What do you lot suggest as the current best book for wheel building. Still Brandt?
I can happily lace a wheel without reference, get it darn close as regards lateral wobble but its never right vertically and the tensions are all over the place the more I try.
Not worried about fancy patterns or the metallurgy of the whole thing. Just tips etc.
Oh yeah , I like books and just looking at YouTube isn't the same, useful though it is,
Brucey

Re: Wheel building book

Post by Brucey »

I would suggest Brandt.

Musson is good too, but I've only seen it in electronic form; would you have to print it out yourself?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt elegantly and correctly explains how a wire-spoked wheel works. From this flows how to build a good wheel. I think it would be hard to better this book unless you wanted component recommendations or something specific like that.

I concur with this reviewer. You can tell Brandt cared a lot about this book. I read ‘on the internet’ that he took a decade to finish it.
Last edited by Samuel D on 1 Mar 2016, 8:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Musson's book is a practical,easy to follow guide,written for the everyday wo/man on the street.
I thoroughly recommend it.
Brandt's book is exhaustive and technical,going deeply into the whole subject.I borrowed a copy but found it too technical for my needs TBH.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
robc02

Post by robc02 »

+1 for Musson. You do have to print it yourself if you want a paper copy.
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

I'd say Musson's book and then read Jobst Brandt's book and take your time.

Musson's book will give you all the advice and tips you are after, Jobst Brandt's book will take your knowledge to another level.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

mattsccm wrote:What do you lot suggest as the current best book for wheel building. Still Brandt?
I can happily lace a wheel without reference, get it darn close as regards lateral wobble but its never right vertically and the tensions are all over the place the more I try.
Not worried about fancy patterns or the metallurgy of the whole thing. Just tips etc.
Oh yeah , I like books and just looking at YouTube isn't the same, useful though it is,
If you've got that far, I'm not sure why you need a book.

The rims I've used have been almost true to start with. It's just a question of keeping it that way as you build the wheel. If you start at the valve hole and tighten each nipple on the same side by the same amount the rim should remain close to being as it was. All the spokes on the same side should give the same note when tapped. I constantly tap to check. :wink: On a symmetrical wheel they should all have the same note regardless of side. If you keep doing this, ie proceed round the rim and each time tighten the spokes on each side by the same amount, until the spokes are as tight as you want them, you can then make final adjustments for trueness. Stress relieve the spokes and check trueness again.

I've found that should the wheel becomes noticeably out of true as I'm building it, I slacken off all the spokes and start again. That may seem like a faff, but it's far quicker than trying to correct everything, and then as you've found the tensions seem to go awry. My logic is that if I keep all the spoke tensions the same by tightening each one (or on each one the same side for a dished wheel) the same amount as I build the wheel, then the rim should be more or less as true as when I started.
I'm only an occasional wheelbuilder, but that's what works for me.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Ta. Looks like an excuse for two books. Always a bonus.
mig

Post by mig »

Gerd Schraner's "The Art of Wheelbuilding." Good bedtime read that.

3 books then :D
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I’m tempted by Roger Musson’s book after reading this thread. Wish it was available in printed form.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Samuel D wrote:I’m tempted by Roger Musson’s book after reading this thread. Wish it was available in printed form.

That's the one I have - no big deal to download and print a copy (the one thing I would omit are his home-made wooden jigs and stuff - get a proper jig ... Rose sells a reasonably priced model)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
robc02

Post by robc02 »

robgul wrote:
Samuel D wrote:I’m tempted by Roger Musson’s book after reading this thread. Wish it was available in printed form.

That's the one I have - no big deal to download and print a copy (the one thing I would omit are his home-made wooden jigs and stuff - get a proper jig ... Rose sells a reasonably priced model)

Rob

I rather like the home built jig! It replaced a basic commercial one, which replaced building in a frame with various bits of tape and pointers attached, and is better than either. I also made a dishing stick, but in wood rather than the cardboard that he suggests.

I haven't had the pleasure of using a high quality commercial jig, though.

I think the point he tries to make is that there's nothing magical about the tools required, and it's quite feasible to make your own, so don't be put off because of the apparent high cost of tooling up.