1" steerer ahead question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Hackfall

1" steerer ahead question

Postby Hackfall » 26 Apr 2016, 11:27pm

Hi I have a Bob Jackson Merlin 631 with an ahead headset and 3T stem. I have had to start replacing some parts now that have corroded. Have replaced the stem bolts after a bolt head pinged off. Now have replaced the handlebars also. Next thing to look at is the headset which is a bit rusted and unsightly now. Ideally I would like to switch to something in a nice shiny silver like a lot of the componentry on the bike. I see there is a 1" Campag Record headset on the market that looks good and at £46 the price is ok. Any recommendations? I am not keen on paying Chris King prices. Also I am wary about ensuring there is nothing that might catch me out in subtle differences in sizes. By the way I have no spacer between my headset and stem currently.

PH

Re: 1" steerer ahead question

Postby PH » 26 Apr 2016, 11:46pm

I have the 1" record headset and like it. It's not sealed bearings which I like, threw away the cages and run it on lose balls. Finish looks good, nice and shiny and a carbon top cap. I can't think why there'd be any sizing issue, though I'm no expert.

Valbrona

Postby Valbrona » 27 Apr 2016, 2:52am

Stack height can vary from one headset to another. Put another way, a replacement headset might 'consume' more of the steerer tube so that after re-assembly the top edge of the stem might sit higher above the top edge of the steerer than before. From experience, you are very unlucky in the case of threadless headsets if a new one doesn't work, but it is a shame you do not have the luxury of a surplus spacer that could be removed if need be.
I should coco.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 27 Apr 2016, 6:45am

you don't say what size your present headset is; do check this before you buy/fit but FWIW I think that the default sizing for the campag headset will be ;

26.4mm on the crown race
30.2mm where the cups fit into the head tube
25.4mm stack height.

you need to be sure that your present headset is the same size before you fit a new one.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hamster

Postby hamster » 27 Apr 2016, 10:15am

Used a 1" Record for the past 8 years, summer and winter. It remains very smooth and the grease ports under the black band at the bottom work a treat.

seph

Postby seph » 27 Apr 2016, 1:36pm

Hmm, I think my record headset was over tensioned by the bike shop, I got about 6 months out of it :(

To be fair, over tensioning will kill any headset.

I set my own up these days!

Hackfall

Postby Hackfall » 5 May 2016, 10:58am

Hi Brucey and everyone thanks for the advice.

The current headset is a Ritchey Logic. This will be from about 17 years ago. The top part of the headset is plain black, the bottom part near the brakes is a gun metal grey, and going a bit rusty. Don't know if this helps with understanding what the current size is, or if I need to measure up after taking everything apart. Headset is something I have never looked into at all, one of the last things on my list to learn. I like the sound of the record, I hope that will fit, silver colours finish off the look of my old 631 very nicely, though its a bit due a respray, maybe next year.

robc02

Postby robc02 » 5 May 2016, 11:31am

The Tange Levin range are also worth considering. They are well made with cup and cone bearings and are near identical to the older Campagnolo items. The LV1500 is a copy of the alloy bodied Super Record from the 1980s:

http://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/2474951/products/tange-seiki-levin-lv1500-threaded-headset-1-inch.aspx

There used to be a chrome steel version as well - like the original Record Road headset - but I can't find one advertised at the moment.

Some of the other Levin models are cheaper but with a slightly different appearance. I think they are modelled on the Campagnolo Path headset.

EDIT - Sorry, just read the OP more carefully! - The Tange Levin are for threaded steerers only.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 5 May 2016, 11:59am

Hackfall wrote:Hi Brucey and everyone thanks for the advice.

The current headset is a Ritchey Logic. This will be from about 17 years ago. The top part of the headset is plain black, the bottom part near the brakes is a gun metal grey, and going a bit rusty. Don't know if this helps with understanding what the current size is, or if I need to measure up after taking everything apart. Headset is something I have never looked into at all, one of the last things on my list to learn. I like the sound of the record, I hope that will fit, silver colours finish off the look of my old 631 very nicely, though its a bit due a respray, maybe next year.

depending on which model 'Logic' it is, it'll either be a steel headset with clipped balls or I think they did a more expensive version with alloy cups and cartridge bearings. Given that yours is going a bit rusty I would assume that it is the former.

I've had one of these headsets and IIRC it ought to be a standard size as per the dimensions I listed previously. Worst case is that you need to have the fork crown prepped when time comes to change, or have to fiddle with spacers because the stack height is different (which is easy to check).

FWIW I would suggest that you hang fire on fitting a new headset until you are having the frame resprayed. It is quite possible to damage a headset by taking it in and out of a frame needlessly, and a new headset will have to come out for the frame to be resprayed anyway. If the present headset is given a lick of paint and some new loose balls it could last another couple of decades, so it ought to last until you get the frame done.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~