Surly Long Haul Trucker

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
53x13

Re: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Post by 53x13 »

The pedals (200gr, steel axle) have been getting good reviews as very rugged, spd style pedals with steel cleats: http://

www.tredz.co.uk/.Ritchey-Pro-Micro-Clip ... Ah1K8P8HAQ
meic

Post by meic »

53x13 wrote:It's a kind of pearly grey! I'm hoping to get the bike down to 13/14kg by doing what I've done on most of my bikes: speccing with high end Shimano Dura Ace (bar end) and lots of carbon fibre in the low stress areas. I do not like carrying heavy bikes up French staircases :D

It is going to cost a fortune to save weight on components like that, compared to buying a lighter frame and fork set.

My LHT is made up with butterfly bars and is the reincarnation of my thirty year old Raleigh frame.
The titanium TA axix light bottom bracket hasnt done much to compensate for the frame and forks weight. :lol:

I am however really chuffed that my old Uniglide hubs after being spacered out to 135mm have given me dishless rear wheels. :D
My LHT is going to be used rather more as was intended, a big heavy beast carrying heavy burdens.
Yma o Hyd
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

My total spend on lightweight components will be about £250. Lightweight wheels probably set me back the same. It's the frame I'm very impressed with. Now, if they could only make one out of carbon fibre...

(Quick, burn him as a heretic!)
PH

Post by PH »

14kg touring bike sounds reasonable to me. My Hewitt Cheviot weighs in at that and I haven't really tried. Though for a touring bike I wouldn't worry about the odd kg, and if I was thinking that was important I probably wouldn't start with a LHT.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

53x13 wrote:I'm hoping that by saving on discs and using lighter wheels I can shed 2kg straight away. From there, it's lightweight saddle (not sure which) carbon post, 200 gr pedals, lightweight stem and bars (any recommendations welcome) and a lightweight baggage system. That's hopefully another 3kg right there.

Surlys don't need race spec components. Their speed is fed by your love. You'll find this frame has spirit and it's only your happiness cycling off into the distance that makes the bike lighter.

Go for strength and reliability.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

PH wrote:14kg touring bike sounds reasonable to me. My Hewitt Cheviot weighs in at that and I haven't really tried. Though for a touring bike I wouldn't worry about the odd kg, and if I was thinking that was important I probably wouldn't start with a LHT.

This. If you are after a light tourer, a LHT isn't the chosen one...b
PH

Post by PH »

53x13 wrote:It's a kind of pearly grey! I'm hoping to get the bike down to 13/14kg by doing what I've done on most of my bikes: speccing with high end Shimano Dura Ace (bar end) and lots of carbon fibre in the low stress areas. I do not like carrying heavy bikes up French staircases :D

If bar end shifters then full size V brakes are IMO the best option, by a long way.
I do not like carrying heavy bikes up French staircases

Are you not camping? If not and you're thinking about weight, I think it's the wrong frame.
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

A 56cm LHT frame is about 5lb, roughly a pound heavier than my 853 which I managed to get down to 10kg without too much effort. Even with the weight of the forks (which I'm considering changing) I reckon a 12/13kg bike build is quite doable. I'd only choose lightweight kit to use in low stress areas, and if it was previously well regarded.
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
PH wrote:14kg touring bike sounds reasonable to me. My Hewitt Cheviot weighs in at that and I haven't really tried. Though for a touring bike I wouldn't worry about the odd kg, and if I was thinking that was important I probably wouldn't start with a LHT.

I think a 'lighter' weight LHT is right for my kind of touring. It's the all day comfort and reliability I'm after. Titanium, as a touring material, in mission critical situations is a non starter afaic. It's got to be steel and LHT has got a well deserved reputation I'm that respect.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

53x13 wrote:Can get one of the above frames pretty cheap second hand. What would be the pitfalls in building up a LHT for distance cycling. What's the best group/wheels to buy and can anyone recommend an effective braking system? New to the forum.

IIRC the LHT comes in versions that use 26" wheels or 700C wheels. The best build parts and all-up weight would vary from one type to the other. Which are you getting?

If the build is to be a load-lugger for touring (and if it isn't, why are you starting with this frame...?), I wouldn't worry overly much about a load of lightweight parts and I certainly wouldn't buy 'lightweight wheels' for loaded/distance touring; save those for the weekends..... IMHO you would be better off with a strong wheelset for touring, even if it is a bit heavier.

BTW in terms of weight and quality of function there isn't very much to choose between different shimano groupsets. Pretty much the only Dura-Ace parts I'd have on a touring bike might be bar-end shifters; for everything else there are other parts that, if anything, work better in a touring context.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

I have a DT with LHT forks (v-brakes). 11kg, all with low-end components. Toured all over the place, raced, commuted, etc. Build and rebuild to whatever spec you need. No pitfalls, other than people forever telling you it's heavy...
PH

Post by PH »

53x13 wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:

I think a 'lighter' weight LHT is right for my kind of touring. It's the all day comfort and reliability I'm after. Titanium, as a touring material, in mission critical situations is a non starter afaic. It's got to be steel and LHT has got a well deserved reputation I'm that respect.

You pays your money and takes your choice and you'll have a great trip whatever the bike. It's not really about weight, that's a side effect of it being built to carry a load, if you build it lightweight without a load that frame weight doesn't add comfort it detracts from it. By how much is of course subjective, but for me it would be enough to choose something else.
meic

Post by meic »

Lightweight wheels probably set me back the same

Are you expecting to get lightweight wheels with 135mm hubs or are you planning to extend 130's like I did?
Yma o Hyd
53x13

Post by 53x13 »

0.5kg weight penalty over my current frame doesn't bother me. I've researched a lot of frames and the LHT ticks all the boxes. Dura ace chainset is extremely tough and at 650gr including the BB about a pound lighter than the FSA Triple equivalent. Same goes for the derailleurs. I like the quality too. Lower end Shimano IMO wears out pretty quickly, especially Tiagra. Like the man said, you pays your money!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I built one up last year. 60cm drop bar version.Don't believe people who say V brakes are incompatible with drop bars - it's the levers which matter not what they're fastened onto. I used V brakes with these levers and they work very well http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BLTEKRL520 ... ake-levers . 9 speed with Shimano bar end gear levers. These wheels https://www.rosebikes.com/article/atb-w ... aid:640714 - strong rims and I wanted a dynohub. Lights available at reasonable prices from the same website - the AXA Luxx 70 is handy if you will be using a mobile etc as it has a USB port for charging. Chainset I used a stronglight impact triple but this is virtually identical and costs a lot less http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 0s109p2000. Rest of build pretty standard - Deore LX front and rear changers, B17 , these mudguards http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b0s80p1917, Steel front and rear racks - one tubus, one raleigh etc .
It'll certainly do what you want it to with similar bits.

Haven't weighed it but for fully loaded touring a few pounds either way in bike weight isn't really relevant.
Last edited by pete75 on 28 Apr 2016, 9:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker