Handy Roadside Bodges?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LollyKat

Re: Handy Roadside Bodges?

Postby LollyKat » 10 May 2016, 10:38am

53x13 wrote:I carry zip ties, a small length of twine and a 3ml tube of super glue. You can fix just about anything on tour with that lot :D

+1, tucked into the handlebars. I also have some electrical tape wound round my pump, ready for use if needed.

53x13

Postby 53x13 » 10 May 2016, 2:56pm

I've only ever seen this done twice in 35 years of cycling, but when someone has hit a catastrophic pothole or say a car and the wheel has deformed enough it won't turn in the frame, the solution has come by way of a handy farm gate. The offending wheel is lodged between the spars and bent enough so that it will go back in the frame and hopefully clear the wide set brake blocks.

It gets you home! But if course you're looking at a new wheel anyways on your return.

I've also see riders on tour stopping off at petrol stations to rummage thru the bins looking for an empty oil tin. There's usually enough motor oil left in the bottom to do two complete chain lubrications. Not the best of stuff, but way better than sixty miles of grinding teeth :lol:

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 10 May 2016, 5:40pm

I think that finding an old oil can on the forecourt could be quite difficult nowadays. I've never seen anyone topping up with oil for many years. Must be 20 yrs since I've bought any on a forecourt. Cars don't seem to use it like they did.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 10 May 2016, 10:55pm

mercalia wrote:dont know about bodges but I carry some zip ties in case some thing comes loose

+1 - and a couple of toe straps, and a couple of cheap velcro straps (50 for a fiver off ebay), chain link tool (only ever used it on other people's bikes, when my chain snapped I hadn't got the tool with me) and nowadays powerlinks. Recent experience suggests I need a bonding agent in case the wheel hubs unbond themselves :(

Straps are usful to help put a tyre back on if like me you are a bit hamfisted!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

Mistik-ka

Postby Mistik-ka » 11 May 2016, 8:59pm

rmurphy195 wrote:… chain link tool (only ever used it on other people's bikes, when my chain snapped I hadn't got the tool with me)…

I'm not sure if "Murphy's Law*" is in common parlance in the U.K., but this must be the perfect example. :wink:

* (More commonly "Sod's Law" on your side of the Atlantic, I think.)

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 11 May 2016, 9:07pm

Murphy gets around, he does. I've met him in almost every country I've been to.

Even in Italy. :lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 14 May 2016, 7:55pm

reohn2 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Quick link in the handlebar seems a good idea, though! :D

+1 if you need different Power/Quicklinks for different bikes.

Overcomplicated. I use the same topeak seatpack on all my bikes. Has all basic tools in it. Never leave without popping it on whatever bike. Not a problem to have both 8 and 9 speed links in there. Unless of course you are a truly obsessive weight weenie.
Sweep

gaz

Postby gaz » 14 May 2016, 8:22pm

Vorpal wrote:Plastic bank notes work fine, e.g US dollars and our UK soon to be released plastic fiver (I think it is the £5 note)

Yesterday the fairy decided to visit. Front wheel, loud enough to locate without removing the tyre, so I decided to just lever off a few inches and apply a patch.

I then discovered that an existing patch had poked it's way up into a previous cut in the tyre before failing.

Old patch cleaned off and new one fitted I needed to find a suitable tyre boot. It turns out a CTC membership card is quite suitable.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 14 May 2016, 8:54pm

gaz wrote:......... It turns out a CTC membership card is quite suitable.

Nice to know they're useful for something :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Redvee

Postby Redvee » 15 May 2016, 12:44am

I did the stick thing when the seatbolt was very slightly too long and didn't hold the seatpost securely. It was tight enough to stop it turning but not secure enough to stop the post slipping down so I raised the saddle back up and jammed a stick of the right length under the saddle and on the lug where the bolt was and used a combo of toe strap and string to hold it in place for the weekend when I was in the Kidderminster area on my Mum's boat then on the ride from Thornbury to Avonmouth.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 15 May 2016, 10:58pm

Sweep wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Quick link in the handlebar seems a good idea, though! :D

+1 if you need different Power/Quicklinks for different bikes.

Overcomplicated. I use the same topeak seatpack on all my bikes. Has all basic tools in it. Never leave without popping it on whatever bike. Not a problem to have both 8 and 9 speed links in there. Unless of course you are a truly obsessive weight weenie.

Similar thing here - a basic toolkit (chaintool, multitool, tyre levers etc) for both bikes - but when using the Brompton I normally have a rack pack on it, which has in a side pocket the Brompton spare inner tube plus a couple of 15mm stubby wrenches (the Tourer has QR's and its own spare tube)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 15 May 2016, 11:07pm

My problem with that is that I change bags fairly often. I use panniers when I need to carry a laptop or shopping, but a rack pack the rest of the time. I guess I could carry & transfer 2 different power links, but I also have to remember different inner tubes, so I haven't. I like the idea of sticking them in the handlebars, though.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

mnichols

Postby mnichols » 16 May 2016, 6:03pm

I carry three spare spokes wrapped in bubble wrap stuffed into the seat post of each bike. If anyone tours with me I ask them to do the same. They have come in handy on quite a few occasions