Tools you never knew you needed until you got one

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Zanda

Tools you never knew you needed until you got one

Post by Zanda »

About ten years ago, I was given a vernier caliper as a gift by an engineer friend, and at the time thought, 'that's an interesting novelty... but it will only get used once in a blue moon.' It now lives in its case right at the top of the tool box, because it gets used so often, for bike jobs and for other jobs around the house that involve taking measurements.

Mine has a scale marked in 0.02mm steps. The top does internal diameters, the bottom does external diameters, the end is a depth guage. It's here..

Essentially, the vernier shows me if parts I've assumed to be a certain size, really are that size, and therefore if they really will fit with other parts properly. So useful when pairing up handlebars with stems (25.4mm vs 26mm especially). Ditto seatposts and seat tubes (27mm vs 27.2mm). I used to squint at a ruler for this, which, when I think back, was obviously daft, as a ruler was not nearly accurate enough.

And yet if someone had told me I should buy one ten years ago, I'd have said, no thanks, I don't need one.

So I guess sometimes you don't know how useful a tool is until you own one, and you have it to hand. Perhaps that's a special category of tools: the ones you don't know you need until you've got them, and then you can't work without them. Which other tools come into this category?..
Last edited by Zanda on 19 May 2016, 3:52pm, edited 3 times in total.
hamster

Re: Tools you never knew you needed until you got one

Post by hamster »

Decent cable cutters?
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

..so true. No more frayed cables.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

thor mallet.jpg

A thor leather faced mallet:

Bought it because it appealed to me and seemed quite well priced but not sure what I thought I'd use it for.

Incredibly useful for hitting things pretty hard without damaging too much. More use on car parts than bicycles to be fair
When my first one got nicked, I bought two more in different sizes
Last edited by profpointy on 19 May 2016, 3:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjb

Post by rjb »

i find myself squinting at my vernier calipers these days. Age related no doubt but fortunately i have one of these now handed down from my Dad. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the dial sort are pretty good (and don't need batteries) but...twice a year Aldi and Lidl have digital vernier calipers for about ten quid. These are tops! Just make sure you have a few spare batteries to hand....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Like many, I love tools, so much so that I have to keep my tool buying within bounds by only buying one when I find a need.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brucey wrote: ......... Aldi and Lidl have digital vernier calipers for about ten quid.
I have a digi set, excellent for the price, but I think they are TOO accurate.

They measure down to 0.01mm (imperial too of course) but I find the measurements aren't repeatable as it depends on how tight you fit them. In the old days with a micrometer, you used the little knob on the top with a slip-clutch to get the same pressure. I have an ancient 1" micrometer, but rarely use it.I've recently been using my vernier calipers. They're much easier to use ........ less accurate at 0.1mm ............ but that's enough for my uses.

As for a tool I never knew I needed until I got one, is a cassette lockring tool with a handle, rather than using an insert and a spanner.
lifeline-professional-cassette-tool.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Pedro’s bottom bracket socket holder. In fairness, I did know I needed something like this. I just put it off for years.

It makes removing a stubborn bottom bracket or tightening a new one up much easier, since it prevents the bottom bracket tool from slipping and damaging the splines or your knuckles.

I also have a cassette removal tool a bit like Mick F’s above. Does the job nicely!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have some mikes, some picked up at boot sales for a song, far more accurate, verniers are really for agricultural measurements.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rjb

Post by rjb »

Here's a nice screwdriver found in my uncles toolbox. He was a fleet air arm technician.
It has no manufactures marking on it so it may have been an apprentice training test specimen.
Bit like a Russian doll.

Just the thing for digging out that gravel rash. :lol:

[attachment=1]image.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I think I've seen one near identical to that; the one I saw looked like an apprentice piece too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I used to own a FULL SET of fancy 'Snap On' spanners....Metric/AF/Whitworth you name it, I had the lot.

THEN, I discovered these......

WR169.jpg

I've honestly never looked back. They fit EVERYTHING....I don't even bother with that notched ring spanner thing that's needed for Shimano HT2 bottom brackets. A quick twiddle on the fully integrated adjustment system and on she goes (and here's the clever bit) EVEN IF IT'S CROSS THREADED....They are SO powerful that they can make ANY female thread fit ANY male thread.....and visa versa....nip/twist/nip/twist, minor coil of swarf and in she glides.....bl**dy clever....Really !!

My mates Mum reckons that they use them on space shuttles ( wise ).....Recommended..... :wink:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Tiberius wrote:I used to own a FULL SET of fancy 'Snap On' spanners....Metric/AF/Whitworth you name it, I had the lot.

WR169.jpg

I've honestly never looked back. They fit EVERYTHING....I don't even bother with that notched ring spanner thing that's needed for Shimano HT2 bottom brackets. A quick twiddle on the fully integrated adjustment system and on she goes (and here's the clever bit) EVEN IF IT'S CROSS THREADED....They are SO powerful that they can make ANY female thread fit ANY male thread.....and visa versa....nip/twist/nip/twist, minor coil of swarf and in she glides.....bl**dy clever....Really !!

My mates Mum reckons that they use them on space shuttles ( wise ).....Recommended..... :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ..........Bang
Don't give up the day job.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

Tiberius wrote:I used to own a FULL SET of fancy 'Snap On' spanners....Metric/AF/Whitworth you name it, I had the lot.

WR169.jpg

you are a bad man !